What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering bulbs, rhyzomes, etc...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Aside from CP's and tropical fish I am into gardening. I enjoy growing the usual crocus, gladioli, iris, tulip, daffodil... but I have horrible luck / skill with daffodils and to a lesser extent, bearded iris. Typically, I will buy a package of bulbs / rhyzomes and plant them according to instructions with regard to depth and add bone meal. They flower the following spring, generally. After the first year they produce foliage but few flowers - particularly the daffodils. What might be problem and solution?

I'm thinking it could be one or more of a few things.
1)  you could have planted them too deep & they didn't have the energy to get a flower stalk back up again.
2)  you got inferior bulbs & they are just pooped out.
3)  bulbs need dividing every now & again to be a vital population.  
smile.gif

I would say squirrels (or some other rodent) is snacking on your bulbs but they don't like daffodils.  
tounge.gif

What zone are you in?

A good plan with flowering bulbs is to "dead head" them right after the flowers are done, otherwise much of the energy in the bulb goes towards seed set.

I live in Reading, PA., but I don't know what zone that is. That info should be on a seed packet. Looking over the possibilities it could be inferior bulbs and /or neglecting to deadhead. Thank you!

Another thought: some of the newer productions in the flowering bulb category are not conditioned for multi-year flowering. Absolutely only nursery conditions are the only means of assuring the next year's flower. Some are actually produced to flower only at peak--one season--built-in obsolescence in the plant world.

Planned obsolescence? I hate when that happens! Well, just for that, I'm not buying them anymore. I do just fine with crocus and gladioli and hyacinth - oh my.

FYI, looks like you're in zone 6, jimscott.  I think 'guest' was referring to new cultivars.  The old plain bulbs will keep coming back, if they get what they need.  Maybe you might want to look for a wild patch of daffodils this spring & take a few bulbs (of, course, with the landowners' permission) from the center of the clump.  You would be helping out the daffodils by thinning out the clump, too.  You would have to mark it for collection after they finish flowering.  I have never tried to move them while flowering but they are not supposed to like it.  I just may be moving my daffodils this spring, anyway, though.  Depends on what construction I am able to accomplish here & when.  And you know the bigger the bulb, the deeper it's planted?  Except, of course, for rhizomes.  They are practically just sitting on top of the ground.  
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't give up on daffodils, they are so easy & one of my favorites.  
smile.gif

Thank you for responding. It just so happens that there are some naturalized clumps of daffodils behind our townhouse, on the banks of a creek tributary. Three inches of depth per one inch diameter bulb?

hmm, haven't heard of that rule before but it does sound about right.   I did some hunting for numbers & found daffodils 6" deep & crocuses 3-4" deep, so that matches.  
smile.gif

I think I read that in a book called Garden Primer by Barbars Damrosch - or however she spells her name. How's Tamlin doing?

Tamlin is doing pretty well, thanks for asking.  I can & will convey any messages to him, if you want to PM or email me.  
smile.gif

Well there is a International Bulb Society (heheheheheh) That may have some usefull information for you. Link www.bulbsociety.com/

Thanx!!!! Would they know anything about leafy spurge?

I doubt it. If you want more information about that anoying weed, look HERE
Or just put in the keywords 'Leafy spurge' in your favorate search engine

I did. That's how I got past your Word Association.
smile.gif

OH LOL. I forgot about that
biggrin.gif

Back