What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Blackberry and Raspberry seeds

My wife is interested in growing some Blackberries and Raspberries. I told her I would see if any of my CP friends have some extras or even a Propagated Cutting! I will gladly send SASE! Anyone out there with a couple spare seeds for SASE or a rooted cutting where we could work out a deal?

Please PM me if you got something! I really appreciate it!

Have you tried a local garden center? Most carry raspberry bushes. I don't know about blackberries, though. It's worth a try and much faster than growing these plants from seed. Or would you rather grow from seed?
smile.gif

You're right about that. Much faster if I could get a plant...but I am not finding those around. I figured that much...with the season. I thought I'd give this a shot on the forum. But, sounds like my best chance is heading to the Nurseries as spring nears.

Odysseus,
I would also suggest a good nursery. You have a better chance of getting plants that will do well in your area.

smile.gif

BCK

Hey Odysseus,

Please think about blackberries carefully - if you're planting them in the ground I hope you want them as a permanent fixture! I'm not sure about raspberries, but where I went to school in northern california the wild blackberries were a tasty menace. You can hack, burn, slash, and try to dig them up. They'll just grow back and spread...though it's worth to have them around as long as they're not in your own backyard!
tounge.gif

I don't live up there now, but I'm sure some of the N. Californians and Oregon folks could grab some for you from local spots.

I cultivated raspberrires afew years ago. Bought a sapling from Home Depot. the first year doesn't give you a yield. If I remember correctly, you cut off the first year flowers. Also, you cut down the previous year's growth nearly to the ground. They DO grow like weeds.

Also, another reason to get plants from a nursery is to diminish the possibility of getting a fungus along with your plants.  Look for certified plants.  jimscott is right about the 2 year's growth thing - (I've grown only raspberries, but I imagine blackberries are similar) only produce fruit on the 2nd year's growth.  So you cut back the branches that have produced fruit that year - they won't do it again.  That way you can keep some semblance of control over them.  They are very invasive.  I have some cleaning out myself to do in the spring, I got overwhelmed last year.  "Please don't throw me in that briar patch, Brer Bear."  It can quickly become a place only a rabbit can get through.  (Boy, I hope I'm not dating myself too badly with that one...)    
tounge.gif

I second WickedThistle's caution. Blackberry is very invasive and difficult to eradicate. Somehow one got into one of my gardens and I had a terrible time with it. They have some of the worst thorns around...big and hooked like a cat's claw. I got torn countless times when trying to remove it. I would chop it down in one place and it would pop up again in another. Will be waiting to see if it comes back this year.
rock.gif

Its probably best grown in a container or with some kind of "stop" put around it in the ground to prevent the roots from spreading....unless you have a large area where they can naturalize.

Blackberries are a wonderful summer treat but the plant itself is a nightmare...similar to bamboo only more painful.
sad.gif

I went ahead and got only the Raspberry bush. I got it from Lowe's as a stick with many roots. I had thought being a three year tree, it would produce fruit? If this years growth only produces foliage then do I even prune it then? Because, essentially my new little bush is a pruned down bush that fruited last year in it's second year. What can I do to help it along? And it is growing happily in my container, so I am taking most of your advice by not introducing it to my garden.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the replies!

I don't know if raspberry bushes are as invasive as blackberry bushes. You might not have to keep that one in a container but maybe other raspberry growers could help you there.

They sure are good though.
smile.gif

Well im propably too late to help, but be shure to guard your rasperry against deseise, wich can ravage entier feilds of the berry. I really dont suggest planting the Raspberry in a container, because plants that have long taproots that arnt too happy in a container. I am shure it will grow though. Raspberrys like well-airated, well- drained soil. Dont let the soil dry out for too long. Ummm... Oh yes. If your growing berries for yourself, be shure to protect your crop from birds, wich love berries.

Umm if your interested in edible berries, you can try the mulbery trees, varietys 'johnstons' and 'Weisman' (varieties listed are bred for human consumption)
Highbrush cranberry (not related to thanksgiving cranberry) Varietys 'wentworth' and 'hahs'

I hear Corneliancherry dogwood, varietys 'redstar' 'elegant' 'redstone' and 'yellow' make terrific jams, altough i have never tried them myself.

Jostaberry, varietys 'jostagranda' 'jostina' and 'red josta'

I have never had any of these myself, but i hear their good.

Wow, Finch! Thanks for the detailed info! I appreciate that and will ask my wife if any of those sound good. My Raspberry bush isn't growing from the existing cutting but from the roots rather, so I don't expect any berries this year unfortunately.

Your welcome. There are many other berries out there. I suggest serching on the internet to find more types. Plus, they all have great wildlife value

Personally, I like raspberries better than blackberries. It also depends on what kind you get. Red, and orange raspberries don't have thorns. You can also find thornless varities of blacberries. I have not had experinces with blackberries becoming weedy. The same goes for the raspberries. They grow really well though.

Back