Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Blackberry and Raspberry seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and got only the Raspberry bush. I got it from Lowe's as a stick with many roots. I had thought being a three year tree, it would produce fruit? If this years growth only produces foliage then do I even prune it then? Because, essentially my new little bush is a pruned down bush that fruited last year in it's second year. What can I do to help it along? And it is growing happily in my container, so I am taking most of your advice by not introducing it to my garden. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for the replies!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if raspberry bushes are as invasive as blackberry bushes. You might not have to keep that one in a container but maybe other raspberry growers could help you there.

They sure are good though. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well im propably too late to help, but be shure to guard your rasperry against deseise, wich can ravage entier feilds of the berry. I really dont suggest planting the Raspberry in a container, because plants that have long taproots that arnt too happy in a container. I am shure it will grow though. Raspberrys like well-airated, well- drained soil. Dont let the soil dry out for too long. Ummm... Oh yes. If your growing berries for yourself, be shure to protect your crop from birds, wich love berries.

Umm if your interested in edible berries, you can try the mulbery trees, varietys 'johnstons' and 'Weisman' (varieties listed are bred for human consumption)
    Highbrush cranberry (not related to thanksgiving cranberry) Varietys 'wentworth' and 'hahs'

I hear Corneliancherry dogwood, varietys 'redstar' 'elegant' 'redstone' and 'yellow' make terrific jams, altough i have never tried them myself.

Jostaberry, varietys 'jostagranda' 'jostina' and 'red josta'

I have never had any of these myself, but i hear their good.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Finch! Thanks for the detailed info! I appreciate that and will ask my wife if any of those sound good. My Raspberry bush isn't growing from the existing cutting but from the roots rather, so I don't expect any berries this year unfortunately.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your welcome. There are many other berries out there. I suggest serching on the internet to find more types. Plus, they all have great wildlife value
    that makes no logic

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I like raspberries better than blackberries. It also depends on what kind you get. Red, and orange raspberries don't have thorns. You can also find thornless varities of blacberries. I have not had experinces with blackberries becoming weedy. The same goes for the raspberries. They grow really well though.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12