Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Blackberry and Raspberry seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is interested in growing some Blackberries and Raspberries. I told her I would see if any of my CP friends have some extras or even a Propagated Cutting! I will gladly send SASE! Anyone out there with a couple spare seeds for SASE or a rooted cutting where we could work out a deal?

Please PM me if you got something! I really appreciate it!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a local garden center? Most carry raspberry bushes. I don't know about blackberries, though. It's worth a try and much faster than growing these plants from seed. Or would you rather grow from seed? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right about that. Much faster if I could get a plant...but I am not finding those around. I figured that much...with the season. I thought I'd give this a shot on the forum. But, sounds like my best chance is heading to the Nurseries as spring nears.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odysseus,
    I would also suggest a good nursery. You have a better chance of getting plants that will do well in your area.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Odysseus,

Please think about blackberries carefully - if you're planting them in the ground I hope you want them as a permanent fixture! I'm not sure about raspberries, but where I went to school in northern california the wild blackberries were a tasty menace. You can hack, burn, slash, and try to dig them up. They'll just grow back and spread...though it's worth to have them around as long as they're not in your own backyard! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

I don't live up there now, but I'm sure some of the N. Californians and Oregon folks could grab some for you from local spots.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cultivated raspberrires afew years ago. Bought a sapling from Home Depot. the first year doesn't give you a yield. If I remember correctly, you cut off the first year flowers. Also, you cut down the previous year's growth nearly to the ground. They DO grow like weeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, another reason to get plants from a nursery is to diminish the possibility of getting a fungus along with your plants. Look for certified plants. jimscott is right about the 2 year's growth thing - (I've grown only raspberries, but I imagine blackberries are similar) only produce fruit on the 2nd year's growth. So you cut back the branches that have produced fruit that year - they won't do it again. That way you can keep some semblance of control over them. They are very invasive. I have some cleaning out myself to do in the spring, I got overwhelmed last year. "Please don't throw me in that briar patch, Brer Bear." It can quickly become a place only a rabbit can get through. (Boy, I hope I'm not dating myself too badly with that one...) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second WickedThistle's caution. Blackberry is very invasive and difficult to eradicate. Somehow one got into one of my gardens and I had a terrible time with it. They have some of the worst thorns around...big and hooked like a cat's claw. I got torn countless times when trying to remove it. I would chop it down in one place and it would pop up again in another. Will be waiting to see if it comes back this year. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Its probably best grown in a container or with some kind of "stop" put around it in the ground to prevent the roots from spreading....unless you have a large area where they can naturalize.

Blackberries are a wonderful summer treat but the plant itself is a nightmare...similar to bamboo only more painful. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast