Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passion Flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.caerulea produces plenty of fruit, but they have little taste...
    Try an edulis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, Thanks for the information....
    I'm including a picture of the corner where I am hoping to grow my plant. It gets strong eastern and noon sun, and should get a bunch during the summer. My hope was to coax the plant to grow up the corner (placing a pot there) then up and around the entrance and window. Anyone tried anything like this?

I also have a large deck that gets a lot of sun (with a wall for climbing) so perhaps I could look into more species)

Since I'm just getting one right now, I'm looking for ideas as to specific species. A mix of aesthetics, ease of growth for beginners, and fast growing is preferred. Any suggestions? I do really like the more intricate flowers I've seen before

> SnowyFalcon I am interested in learning more about your plants, do you have any pictures/names?

Thanks for all the replies,
    ---Lane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my plant from a local nursery for around 15 bucks. The only name on the plant tag was Passiflora. I had a choice between the one shown in your link and this red one, which I liked better because of its almost inverted look.

[img]http://home.**********.com/snowyfalcon/PassionFlower.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The semicarnivorous passion flower has digestive enzymes. Look at the page about it on barry rice's page. click here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will take you directly to the pasion flower page: Passion Flower
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Droseradude...I know its on Barry's page, but its on there as "speculation." Somewhere on the forums is a topic regarding this. Someone (can't remember who) did a study on this and found no evidence of carnivory with P. foetida. The fact that its sticky and bugs get ensnared doesn't make it carnivorous--hasn't been shown that the bugs benefit the plant in any way. It is not understood what the function of the sticky bract actually serves.

Snowy...your passiflora maybe P. coccinea. There are not that many red varieties (purple and blue colors dominate). Coccinea is fairly popular in nurseries. So that's a possibility.

Another good site for passiflora is "Misty's Passiflora page". I don't have the direct link but if you do a search, you'll probably find it. Its a bit of a download because there are lots of photos, but each pic has a little description too.

Larry...I'm glad its growing well. It does have really nice deep blue flowers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Thefirelane...I'm not sure it would get enough light there. They like full sun. It might do ok. Eastern sun isn't very strong...noon sun is good but that's still only a few hours of sunlight. However, there is nothing wrong with giving it a shot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Just remember they are vines and they want to CLIMB...they have tendrils that will grab anything to climb...even itself. So try to give it some sort of trellis or frame to twine on. I hope you do try it...they are wonderful plants. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passiflora's are favorites in this household. They cover our fences so fast, they are tough to keep up with. Our favorite; passiflora alata from Brazil. A huge flower, deep purple, with a unique corolla of hanging, long tufted appendages, with purple and white stripes. We have in the yard, p. caruelea, p. alato-carulea, p. racemosa, p. edulis (tasty fruit!), p.phordi, p. vittifolia (red), p. alato-caruelea (white flower). The p. vittifolia red died this winter. Too cold. And the same with the p. jamesonii (red) we had last year. They don't like freezes, but grown close to the house, they usually come back every year. NO WAY would I ever attempt to grow one indoors. Try it and see if it works. And let us know.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. coccinea huh? Sounds good. Now I have a N. coccinea and a P. coccinea (possibly). Does anybody have a cutting of a P. edulis they would like to trade for a cutting from mine?

SF

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast