What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passion Flower?

Hello all,
  I am interested in adding a passion flower variety to my grow list.  I would prefer to have on potted, and grown indoors in a well lit nook (in a corner between two windows)  These plants use vine tendrils to climb, which I assume will not cause massive wall damage like other vines.
  Has anyone here grown one of these plants indoors before?  Any recommendations on variety?  Any recommended online stores?  As I said, it would be indoors, but the zone is 7b/8  (Dallas, TX)

Thanks,
---Lane

GET the semi-carnivorous one! (just my tip)
smile.gif

Do you have any idea how big these things get?? I got mine about 5 months ago and it is now covering a 20 ft fence! They grow like a weed and get huge, so I would be careful about getting one as a houseplant.

If you want, I can take some cuttings of my monster and send them to you for shipping. I must warn you though, it doesn't seem to be a fruit forming variety, though it flowers profusely (about 20 new ones each day!)

SF

You can grow them as a house plant if you keep the pot small, do some pruning when it gets to big, and a hve a lot of light........I would use an 8-12 inch pot and remeber to fertilize it so it can bloom.......

Considering the zone you are in, I would just grow it outside and bring it in during the winter....but if you really want to grow inside make sure it gets a TON of light......

I grow passiflora. One of my favorite flowers.
smile.gif
Mine are all container grown as they are all tropicals (except for P. incarnata) which is the only U.S. native variety. I grow them in my basement under lights in the winter. Depending on the plant and conditions, the vines can get up to 80 feet long. They are best grown outdoors but some people grow them in hanging baskets.

Snowy...do you know if your plant is a hybrid? There are many out there and the hybrids either don't fruit or don't make good fruit. P. incarnata makes good fruit as well as P. edulis (which is grown commercially for its fruit). To get fruit, some varieties need either hand pollination or cross pollination with another plant.

The plant Droseradude is referring to is P. foetida which has a feathery, sticky bract around the flower which does catch bugs. However I do believe it has been disproven that it is carnivorous.

There are several passiflora growers on the forums...me, Larry, Rampuppy to name a few.

Logees offers a pretty good variety of passiflora (www.logees.com). My favorites are P. incarnata, P. edulis and P. 'Elizabeth'.

Suzanne

SnowyFalcon is yours semi carniverous what does that mean any way.

No mine is not carnivorous and I have no idea if it is a hybrid or not. Semi-carnivorous (at least in this case) means that it catches the bugs but receives no nutritional benefit from them.

Eventually I'd like to get one that makes fruit. That's the reason I got the vine in the first place and was kinda disappointed when it didn't make fruit. I tried hand pollinating already. Maybe it needs a different clone to cross pollinate with?

SF

I grow 5 different species, all in pots. If you want fruits, get P. caerulea, it makes tons of fruit. Hey Suzanne, the 'Blue Bouquet' is growing FAST!
smile.gif

P.caerulea produces plenty of fruit, but they have little taste...
Try an edulis.

Hey all, Thanks for the information....
I'm including a picture of the corner where I am hoping to grow my plant.  It gets strong eastern and noon sun, and should get a bunch during the summer.  My hope was to coax the plant to grow up the corner (placing a pot there) then up and around the entrance and window.  Anyone tried anything like this?

DSC4027.jpg

I also have a large deck that gets a lot of sun (with a wall for climbing) so perhaps I could look into more species)

Since I'm just getting one right now, I'm looking for ideas as to specific species.  A mix of aesthetics, ease of growth for beginners, and fast growing is preferred.  Any suggestions?  I do really like the more intricate flowers I've seen before

> SnowyFalcon  I am interested in learning more about your plants, do you have any pictures/names?

Thanks for all the replies,
---Lane

I got my plant from a local nursery for around 15 bucks. The only name on the plant tag was Passiflora. I had a choice between the one shown in your link and this red one, which I liked better because of its almost inverted look.

PassionFlower.jpg

The semicarnivorous passion flower has digestive enzymes. Look at the page about it on barry rice's page. click here
smile.gif

Droseradude...I know its on Barry's page, but its on there as "speculation."  Somewhere on the forums is a topic regarding this.  Someone (can't remember who) did a study on this and found no evidence of carnivory with P. foetida.  The fact that its sticky and bugs get ensnared doesn't make it carnivorous--hasn't been shown that the bugs benefit the plant in any way.  It is not understood what the function of the sticky bract actually serves.

Snowy...your passiflora maybe P. coccinea.  There are not that many red varieties (purple and blue colors dominate).  Coccinea is fairly popular in nurseries.  So that's a possibility.

Another good site for passiflora is "Misty's Passiflora page".  I don't have the direct link but if you do a search, you'll probably find it.  Its a bit of a download because there are lots of photos, but each pic has a little description too.

Larry...I'm glad its growing well. It does have really nice deep blue flowers.
smile.gif

Thefirelane...I'm not sure it would get enough light there. They like full sun. It might do ok. Eastern sun isn't very strong...noon sun is good but that's still only a few hours of sunlight. However, there is nothing wrong with giving it a shot.
smile.gif
Just remember they are vines and they want to CLIMB...they have tendrils that will grab anything to climb...even itself. So try to give it some sort of trellis or frame to twine on. I hope you do try it...they are wonderful plants.
smile.gif

Passiflora's are favorites in this household. They cover our fences so fast, they are tough to keep up with. Our favorite; passiflora alata from Brazil. A huge flower, deep purple, with a unique corolla of hanging, long tufted appendages, with purple and white stripes. We have in the yard, p. caruelea, p. alato-carulea, p. racemosa, p. edulis (tasty fruit!), p.phordi, p. vittifolia (red), p. alato-caruelea (white flower). The p. vittifolia red died this winter. Too cold. And the same with the p. jamesonii (red) we had last year. They don't like freezes, but grown close to the house, they usually come back every year. NO WAY would I ever attempt to grow one indoors. Try it and see if it works. And let us know.

P. coccinea huh? Sounds good. Now I have a N. coccinea and a P. coccinea (possibly). Does anybody have a cutting of a P. edulis they would like to trade for a cutting from mine?

SF

Snowy...I MIGHT.  Mine are not in the best of condition right now being in the basement but I'll see how they do once they are outside.  I'll see how the edulis looks and if there is room for trimming.  I love the edulis...it is a handsome plant with large glossy leaves.

Wow Bug...I'm jealous!  You got some nice ones.  I'll bet they are just BEAUTIFUL!  I HAD an alata....grown from seed (the lone surviving seedling).  It grew one loooong vine and never flowers and then died.  
sad.gif
 So no more alata.

I have P. incarnata (I think...its either dead or dormant...dormant I hope as this is a favorite), P. edulis, P. caerulea, P. 'Blue Bouquet', P. 'Star of Clevedon', P. 'Elizabeth', and a few others I can't remember (some are just rooted cuttings right now).  I am itching to get them outdoors and in the sun.  They are one of my all time favorite flowers (childhood memory of seeing P. incarnata growing in fields and throwing the fruit as hand granades...DUH...never realized you could EAT them...but they are GOOD.)

I will try to post some photos soon on Patrick's site of some of mine.  
smile.gif
 I love see photos of them.

----
UPDATE... Logees has passionflowers featured on the cover of their 2004 catalogue...and offer 28 different varieties. I want them all! Ow! I saw a pretty orange one listed as being suitable for a hanging basket. Check it out.
smile.gif

Hey Snowy, I should be able to make you plenty of cuttings at the end of the year.

I have posted some passiflora photos in Patrick's gallery...in the orchid gallery if anyone is interested.  The flowers are so beautiful...and the fruit is a good bonus.  How can you not love a passion flower??  
biggrin.gif

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/orchids

That one looks like passiflora jamesonii. Might be another red, but the corolla is the same. P. vittifolia is a very red flower too, but the corolla stands straight up like spikes, and are more purplish. Some jamesonii are coral red and sold as Passiflora "coral seas". PAK, I don't know incarnata, but always wanted to see a picture. P. alata blooms in Sept.-October, and an incredibly grand sight. Ours has chosen to climb over the house, and up the telephone line towards the pole, another vine took the CATV dropwire. They are spreading about 60' to 80' per year. I am always tearing them back so they can do it again the following year. Passiflora carulea fruit can be eaten, but must be sweetened artificially to get its unique flavors. I love the purples and the reds. NICE picture, Snowy!

Back