Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passion Flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,
    I am interested in adding a passion flower variety to my grow list. I would prefer to have on potted, and grown indoors in a well lit nook (in a corner between two windows) These plants use vine tendrils to climb, which I assume will not cause massive wall damage like other vines.
    Has anyone here grown one of these plants indoors before? Any recommendations on variety? Any recommended online stores? As I said, it would be indoors, but the zone is 7b/8 (Dallas, TX)

Thanks,
    ---Lane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GET the semi-carnivorous one! (just my tip) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any idea how big these things get?? I got mine about 5 months ago and it is now covering a 20 ft fence! They grow like a weed and get huge, so I would be careful about getting one as a houseplant.

If you want, I can take some cuttings of my monster and send them to you for shipping. I must warn you though, it doesn't seem to be a fruit forming variety, though it flowers profusely (about 20 new ones each day!)

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow them as a house plant if you keep the pot small, do some pruning when it gets to big, and a hve a lot of light........I would use an 8-12 inch pot and remeber to fertilize it so it can bloom.......

Considering the zone you are in, I would just grow it outside and bring it in during the winter....but if you really want to grow inside make sure it gets a TON of light......

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow passiflora. One of my favorite flowers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Mine are all container grown as they are all tropicals (except for P. incarnata) which is the only U.S. native variety. I grow them in my basement under lights in the winter. Depending on the plant and conditions, the vines can get up to 80 feet long. They are best grown outdoors but some people grow them in hanging baskets.

Snowy...do you know if your plant is a hybrid? There are many out there and the hybrids either don't fruit or don't make good fruit. P. incarnata makes good fruit as well as P. edulis (which is grown commercially for its fruit). To get fruit, some varieties need either hand pollination or cross pollination with another plant.

The plant Droseradude is referring to is P. foetida which has a feathery, sticky bract around the flower which does catch bugs. However I do believe it has been disproven that it is carnivorous.

There are several passiflora growers on the forums...me, Larry, Rampuppy to name a few.

Logees offers a pretty good variety of passiflora (www.logees.com). My favorites are P. incarnata, P. edulis and P. 'Elizabeth'.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnowyFalcon is yours semi carniverous what does that mean any way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mine is not carnivorous and I have no idea if it is a hybrid or not. Semi-carnivorous (at least in this case) means that it catches the bugs but receives no nutritional benefit from them.

Eventually I'd like to get one that makes fruit. That's the reason I got the vine in the first place and was kinda disappointed when it didn't make fruit. I tried hand pollinating already. Maybe it needs a different clone to cross pollinate with?

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow 5 different species, all in pots. If you want fruits, get P. caerulea, it makes tons of fruit. Hey Suzanne, the 'Blue Bouquet' is growing FAST! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast