Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonflower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to be growing some moonflowers soon. Does any one know when to plant the seeds, how much sun,etc. Is it just like a morning glory that blooms at night? I know they are related somehow. Do you give it the same care? Thanks for any info.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By moonflower, are you referring to morning glories / ipomaea? I plant them right about now. They take awhile to germinate. they have hard seedcoats and need saturated conditions. Some folks nick the seeds to help get them started.

The moonflower I am talking about is the one that is related to the Morning Glories, but it blooms when moonlight hits it and closes when the morning sun hits it. Morning Glories bloom when sunlight hits them and close when the sunlight fades. They are the opposite but still related. Any tips in growing them will be appeciated.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are probably referring to Datura...or jimpson weed. Its also called moonflower. Daturas are related to morning glories. The plants get quite large (shrub-like). I understand they like a lot of sun. I've always wanted to grow them but don't have the space or the sun. But its a beautiful flower. I believe they are pollinated by moths (bloom at night).
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moonflower I have does look like a morning glory but is white and about 6-8 inches across the bloom. It does bloom at night. Ours comes back from seeds from the previous year. It is in full sun. The seeds are rock hard and probably should be soaked in water a day before planting. The first year we planted this plant we had really poor germination, but you only need one or two vines as they can get big. We also have Datura and it comes back from the roots as well as seeds (zone 7). It likewise loves full sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to get some moonflowers started for a while. One year I had a good batch going and they died during/because of a move. The last few times I've tried they die shortly after sprouting. I start them indoors and try to give them as much sun as possible, I keep the soil pretty damp and still seem to have no luck. Any ideas on how to get them past the sprouting stage would be great. Thanks all!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Betty - (Or is this Meg?) I did a quick search and came up with this site:My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks Jimscott, gave me a few new ideas, And I think I'm gonna get some new soil too.
    Thanks again,
    Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast