What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mango tree...

• Thread starter Mannannan
  • Start date
I have a very small mango tree, not even a tree yet, about a foot tall.

Should I pinch the tip off it to encourage branching, like I do on my Avocados?

Thanks /Quensel

It depends on how tall you want the plant to get. I actually just started my mango, and it is a few inches tall with three leaves. I would let it have around 10 leaves before pinching. I have heard that mangos are more sensitve than avocados.

Hope this helps,
WEs

Mango
Yum
biggrin.gif

My Grandpa in the Philippines owns a mango farm and i love to eat them when i go to visit
Hellz

They are fairly tricky to get started, as they are very picky about their growing conditions. If you are willing, to take a little time, they are fun and can be simple to grow. How did you guys start yours?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ July 17 2004,12:00)] I have heard that mangos are more sensitve than avocados.
Really?!? My mangos are growing much better than my avos and have even survived a couple frosts (I lost an avo to frost when I first moved here.)

My tallest mango is ranking in at about 2' and it has branched on its own. The other two are at about 18" and 8" and neither of them is showing any interest in doing the same. I would imagine that like any plant it will fork if the bud is removed but the only way to know for sure is to try. Snce I have "spares" I'd be happy to experiment on one of them. That way if I lose a plant it isn't a big deal.

i had a starfruit in my greenhouse back when i lived in maine. They are good. And so are custard apples
smile.gif

Hey Finch,

How did you get a star fruit? Was it seed grown from a store bought fruit?

it was growing in the greenhouse when we moved in, along with custaed apples,  cherimoya, avacodo, and durians. The pervious owner was very fond of tropical fruits indeed. I had to hand-polinate most flowers they produced. I added a potted fishpoison tree, and a beautifly scented (the smell was wonderfull) Orange Chempaka. The current owner took down the greenhouse when we left, to get more lawn area
confused.gif

I got mine pretty easy because i opened the mango and the root was hanging out.
smile_n_32.gif
and i planted it and from there it grew.

I ate the fruit carefully, and left the fibres on the stone, then placed it in lukewarm water for about one week, changing the water 2 times a day.
Then potted it, 'eye' up, about half an inch under the soil in a 2 gallon pot, and after 2-3 weeks in my household conditions, it sprouted.

Needless to say, I price it quite highly
smile.gif

/Quensel

Back