Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giant elephant ears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a bulb at a local nursery and planted it in a large pot full of yard soil and a good measure of manure. It's growing very well and next year I plan to plant it in our vegatable garden because all our pots will be too small. It seems to do well even when it's not completely drenched. I love it because it's so easy to grow and it's a very pretty plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have colocasia esculenta and grow mine in both the edge of my pond as a marginal and also grow some of my really big ones in the ground in the garden. has like 32'' leaves across
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my colocasia esculenta in my pond and in a wet part of my yard.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd add an update. The 50/50 mix of Schultz Aquatic Soil and peat wasn't a good idea at all. The plant really didn't do any growing while it was in it. I now have that plant and another one I bought in a mix of potting soil and compost with tons of fertilization (root tabs, aquarium water w/ lots of snail droppings, dead leaves and cuttings from other plants dropped onto the soil surface all the time). They're growing like mad... probably a new leaf every week that's 40% bigger than the previous one. So I just thought I'd give some more input on what doesn't work and what does.

There is something I'm curious about if anyone knows the answer. Every new leaf emerges from the base of the most recent leaf, and that's the only leaf the old leaf ever spawns as far as I can tell. So what happens if you cut off a new leaf before it has a chance to produce another one? Where does new growth come from? I'm wondering if this is a way to encourage it to sprout baby plants or not. And whether or not a mishap with a new leaf is a major setback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] So what happens if you cut off a new leaf before it has a chance to produce another one? Where does new growth come from? I'm wondering if this is a way to encourage it to sprout baby plants or not. And whether or not a mishap with a new leaf is a major setback.
    I would like to know the same thing. My girlfriend inadvertently snapped off one of the whole growing point off the rhizome on my alocasia polly. I am assuming it will grow a new point in due time.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12