Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant elephant ears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've admired this plant from afar and I just ordered some seeds to get a few of them going.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and has some tried-and-true suggestions for me?

So far I gather that they soak up water like a sponge, do well in partial shade, and can grow about 3 feet per year. That's about the extent of my knowledge so far. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

So I was wondering if anyone had a great soil mixture they would recommend? Or a great propagation method?

Just gathering all the info I can get. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some of this plant (Well technically its my dads lol but I take care of them). So far they've been really easy to grow. I keep mine in a pot that doesn't drain, bog like conditions. That way they get enough water. I also keep mine in partial shade.

As for dirt, I just dug up some from the yard and it seems to work well for me. And my dirt is really bad clay dirt and there trash all in it. So I'm sure if my dirt will work, most any other dirt will work.

I haven't done any propigation though, so I can't help you there.

Hope that helps some
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With aquatic\marginal plants you WANT clay soil! That way it wont polute the water by rotting.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm lol no wonder its doing so good [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, no drainage and clay soil. Sounds good.

Maybe I should pick up some Schultz Aquatic Soil for it? Would that be a good choice? Whatever I use I'm going to have to buy anyway so I might as well pick what works best.

I feel like I should be adding something for nutrients, shouldn't I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny enough, I was looking at this plant online, and it said to use a well drained soil.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a well drained soil when i had one, but I had to water every day. As for clay me, Griffin and Copper have plenty of that ****. I had to use that word for it cause when thats all your yard is and you have to buy stuff to add to your yard, it gets really irritating. My yard will hold water if I tamp it.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, too late now. I've already potted it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] It's in a bucket with no drainage in a 50/50 mix of peat and Schultz Aquatic Soil (a lot like kitty litter). And it's quite an effort trying to get those two things to mix. It made sense at the time. We'll see how it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast