User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this rope strangling our tree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actualy it will strangle the tree because its only the last few inches of tree thats actualy alive and it will cut through this and kill it because it will no longer get any water or minerals from its roots. So although it will not cut you`r tree down it will kill your tree if left unatended.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it will not damage the tree what-so-ever. The tree with age will totally consume the rope and seal back over the outside of the rope and no-one will ever tell the difference. Trees do this frequently with branches. So long as the rope is not toxic (which I doubt it would be) it will continue on with life just the same. Trees do this to fencing all the time as well and the galvinizing doesn't even bother them , they still grow and seal around it.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree,
    haven't you ever heard of the mapple/pine trees ?
    when they grow so close together they eventualy join,
    it's common for two trees of the same species to ( join) in that fashon , altho the diffrent ssp of trees can do it aswell , my addvice is just to go down to a garden center Bonni and ask the Gardener in charge for some addvice you are in a diffrent part of the county than alot of other people alaska right ?

i know when i lived in Washington we had two Ceder trees that did that they werre over a century old tho , so that does play a part .

and like trees get all of the water from the roots through the bark to the branches if you cut down a tree and see " rings " those rings are dead cambrium layers , think of it like your makeing a rose bush graft , you have to peirce the cambrium just enough not to the center were you have "wood that is dead" but to that liveing layer of live bark that supplys the nutrients to the bud that will be come the grafted fineshed product.

pine trees swell removeing old bark , reveiling new young bark every year.
    do you even know what your talking about ?

Cher ---no ,
    but did'nt it sound like i do!

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what if the tree gets bigger and bigger?
    I would cut that rope now.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with starman as the trunck gets bigger the rope would get to the sensitive part of it and kill it better safe than strangled
    if i live for tommorow there will never be an eventfull day so go on break a leg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is a tree you want to keep long term, I would cut the rope. You do not have to remove it; just cut it to relive the pressure. If left alone, the tree may grow right around it, but this also has the potential to weaken the tree. Trees do grow around things like fence all the time, as others have mentioned, but in this case, the rope is girdling the entire trunk. I have done this on purpose with bonsai when I want to thicken the taper of a trunk, but the wire is always removed after 1-3 years. If you cut the rope in one spot and just leave it there the tree will slowly grow around it without any trouble, if you donít cut it, you may jeopardize the tree.

Also, you donít want to use any sealer on tree wounds. These sealers actually hold moister in and can cause rot. A tree will naturally seal off wounds or cut branches. New growth will cover these areas much quicker with out the black tar or paint.
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, glad everyone agrees on the same course of action, LOL!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. this rope will girdle the tree, killing the cambium layer and severing the xylum and floam, after wich the tree dies rapidly.
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast