User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is this rope strangling our tree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 06 2004,7:05)]those of you who say dont cut the rope are all very mistaken. The tree is a LIVING ORGANISM, and should be respected as such. Spec, you are completely wrong. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Heres why. Yes if the rope simply crosses part of the tree (with fences, other trees and such), the intact portion of the tree will speed up the transportation of nutrients and oxygen to compinsate for the loss of vacular tissue. However, if the rope encercles the whole tree, there is now no way for it to get food and nutrients from its roots, and will starve/choke/suffecate.

Want to know what that would be like? Put a rope around your neck and pull very tightly. Thats what happens to abused puppies that come in to our animal shelter sometimes, the owner is so inattentive that the collar become inbedded in the animals neck as it grows. skin grows around it, but it will sever the blood vessles and choke it eventually. It looks 'healed' on the outside, but its wreking havoc on the inside... the parts you CANT see.
    whoaa man, think before you post!

FIRST, am I a tree? NO. Are puppies trees? NO! Do trees have soft necks that can break? NO! Those are REDICULOUS comparisons.

SECOND, trees arent "STUPID". it isnt going to grow to its death if theres a rope tied around it (yes, trees to have a sence of whats around them, whats toutching them, where they've been cut, and if its dangerous) they arent going to GROW into the rope in such a way that KILLS them! Do trees get oxygen from the roots? Yes, but most comes from the LEAVES. FOOD comes from the roots too, but mostly the leaves. however, they will die of thirst if there is no way to get water. Do you know how trees grow? All they have to do if they encounter a rope is make the "viens" grow "in", go "OVER", and the things just fine... Well, maybe an illustration would help...

And perhaps scottychaos could shed you some light on it, since it IS a form of adaptation/microevolution.

Please, think before you post outbursts/accusations/flames at someone.

Regards,

-Spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note the callus in that picture finch. See how it sorta grew "AROUND" it by having it grow "OUTWARD"? Kinda like bypass surgery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also one thing I would like to note about my pic is that it has grown over 3-4 of the links so it has done it multiple times and it is still thriving like crazy. PLants are remarkable little critters some of the most datable things on earth. A little rope or fence isn't going to stop them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually in a week or two when I move back to college I will be able to provide a photo that gives 100% undeniable unarguable proof about the ability of a tree to grow around something. Basically here in columbus there is a giant oak tree about 6-7 feet wide that grew around a gigantic slab of concrete and is almost unnoticable. IN fact I didn't know it was there till I was walking around campus look for cicadas when I noticed it. It is pretty amazing I thought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALright everyone calm down. Spec, the roots need oxygen and food from the trees leaves and the leaves need nutrients from the roots. When did i say trees DIDNT go outward? Obviously they do, im not stupid. and when did I say trees were stupid? obviously both of us have some thinking to do. Um allosaurus id you read what i said?
    Quote[/b] ]Yes if the rope simply crosses part of the tree (with fences, other trees and such), the intact portion of the tree will speed up the transportation of nutrients and oxygen to compinsate for the loss of vacular tissue
    in other words, the tree will do fine. The Aumr maple in your picture is obviously no worse for wear. Im not saying that fences will kill it. Imm saying if it encercles the whole tree, that will kill it.

the process of of killing a tree in this manner is called Girdling

Girdle

definition;

an encircling or ringlike structure ;
    -To cut a girdle around (a plant) so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients-; "girdle the plant", deaden
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] I fyou cut our arm off we won't grow 10 new ones.
    Saying that all trees can produce sprouts and suckers is like saying that all humans are top atheletes, or work in a office.

Some tree species produce sprouts when damaged; others will not. For example, Basswood produces many sprouts- blue spruces does not.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote[/b] ]ALright everyone calm down. Spec, the roots need oxygen and food from the trees leaves and the leaves need nutrients from the roots. When did i say trees DIDNT go outward? Obviously they do, im not stupid. and when did I say trees were stupid? obviously both of us have some thinking to do. Um allosaurus id you read what i said? Quote
    Yes if the rope simply crosses part of the tree (with fences, other trees and such), the intact portion of the tree will speed up the transportation of nutrients and oxygen to compinsate for the loss of vacular tissue
    in other words, the tree will do fine. The Aumr maple in your picture is obviously no worse for wear. Im not saying that fences will kill it. Imm saying if it encercles the whole tree, that will kill it.

Girdle

definition;

-To cut a girdle around (a plant) so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients-; "girdle the plant", deaden
    Uhm! Those two posts are quite contradictory!

Seems to me that it was you who needed to calm down. The rest of us are calm while you're huffing and puffing. You were the one making accusations and flashing mad faces everywhere.

Pretty much you DID say they dont grow outward, otherwise your whole post woulda been nonsence... Where do you get that you DIDNT say that?

In your posts, your pretty much saying trees are stupid, otherwise you wouldnt have posted at all.

Who said all trees produce sprouts and suckers? What is your point in your last post?

You should think your posts through thouroghly before clicking "add reply". Especially if your going to contradict everything you said.

Have a nice day,

-Spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 06 2004,9:38)]ALright everyone calm down. Spec, the roots need oxygen and food from the trees leaves and the leaves need nutrients from the roots. When did i say trees DIDNT go outward? Obviously they do, im not stupid. and when did I say trees were stupid? obviously both of us have some thinking to do. Um allosaurus id you read what i said?
    Quote[/b] ]Yes if the rope simply crosses part of the tree (with fences, other trees and such), the intact portion of the tree will speed up the transportation of nutrients and oxygen to compinsate for the loss of vacular tissue

Girdle

definition;

If you didn't notice the fence was completely girdling the entire tree, Basically around 20 or so years ago a branch grew through the fence thus being girdled by the fence. IN other words the tree was completely encircled by the fence then the tree grew bigger and absorbed the fence that was encircling it. BAsically you seem to think (and I don't want to put words in your mouth) that as the tree grows it will be strangled. In reality though the tree absorbs the rope once the two sides grow around the rope the tree can resume growing without being strangled. The tree is simply growing around the rope and absorbing it. It won't strangle the tree once the rope has been absorbed.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast