What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live lfs

How are you guys growing live LFS? I have high humidity and I water my plants all the time but it always seems to die. Is there something you add to the soil like fertilizer, what kind? I can't figure out what formula to use

Nonono fertilizer will kill it! It likes bright light wet realy nutrient poor soil that is drenched frquently and Sarrs. So basically a sarr pot that stays pretty wet but goes down to almost dry tray between frequent overhead waterings.

Hey Flip
I've found that it grows better in highland conditions, with very bright light, and lots of humidity like you mentioned.  In my experience it prefered long fiber sphagnum as a substrate.  This also depends on whether you use domestic or NZ lfs (I used the latter).
I'm thinking of starting my own sphagnum culture in a fish tank some time soon, as soon as I find lfs that hasn't been coloured!

Good luck!

Amori

Actually alot of people use fertilizer, pondboy. I know Tony uses a slow release fertilizer and he actually has problems with to much LFS....

Hmmmm, well if it like HL conditions more so then I guess I'll have to find another small/fine growing moss. As I'm growing only lowlanders and extreme lowlanders.

Any advice on what other moss would grow in ELL environment that is compact like LFS and makes a nice dressing?

Back