User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Amorphophallus titanum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received an Amorphophallus titanum last march and it had died in the mail due to the cold weather. I put it in the terrarium anyway and it grew one new stalk about 4-5 inches high. Then another about 8 inches and now the 3rd stalk is coming up in one season! I thought they followed the normal aroid routine of leaf, dieback, leaf, die back, this one just keeps on pushing up leaves. The newest one might be 12-18" when it fully opens. Shouldn't it be having a "winter" soon? It is growing in my lowland Nepenthes chamber which never really changes in climate and is about 85+*F days year round and 70+*F nights year round.

As far as I know, this is a clone from the A. titanum at Fairchild Botanical/Orchid Gardens in FL.

Anyone else have any growing experience with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they die down in december or late November.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh,

These guys have rather eratic dormancy periods, which do not last too long. Unlike species such as konjac, these plants can go dormant anytime of the year. Don't think it is a problem if they continue to grow. I am growing some of these in a small greenhouse, but I imagine that they will outgrow it within a couple of years. The leaf can grow over 15ft from what I have heard. You might need to plan for a greenhouse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make that a TALL greenhouse!

I wouldn't be too concerned if it keeps growing and each leaf is getting bigger.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?