Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Passiflora my new addiction...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. I could not find coccinea but that is the plant. Ugg PAssifolia is so annoying there are so amny species and they are all mislabeled in the pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 29 2005,7:38)]I would not mind having
    http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/images....20a.jpg
    I have one of those unfortunately it is too small right now to take cuttings of but contact me in a few months and I might be able to give you a cutting or two depending on how quickly my plant grows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also do you have a closer pic of that red passiflora? Maybe I could identify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not find one. BTW how do I make cuttings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut off the first 2-3 inches of new growth off a vine, apply rooting hormone to the base and stick in moist soil. Mak sure the soil is always moist and humidity is high and you should be getting roots in a few weeks. Some plants though are alost impossible to root. I have been trying to get P. Murcuja to root for ages and it just keeps rotting. I have also heard of people rooting them in water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will try. Unfortunatly I jsut saw Gulf frittery caterpillers on it so I will have to wait. When I talked to the owner of Biophila she said usually gulf fritterys don't like red Passiflora but they sure like mine. And I have no intention of disturbing them since they are the main reason I grow Passiflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gulf frits? are you sure it's caerulea? maybe it's a hybrid? I heard caerulea is supposed to be poisonous to gulf frits. They eat incarnata and lutea...
    I like lepidopterans. Gulf frits must be one of the coolest butterflies. Too bad they don't live all the way up here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I wish they would find my P. incarnata (when it grows! lol)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. incarnata is the only U.S. native passiflora. And being a native species, I doubt there is a red variety. It is winter hardy up to a point but wouldn't survive in extremely cold areas like the far northern US. It will die back to the ground and "pop up" again in the spring...hence its common name "Maypop."

P. caerulea is also a fairly hardy plant. Most passiflora are tropicals but some are more sensitive to chill than others. I grow several varieties and put them in the basement over the winter under lights. They do fine til its time to put them back outside.

I love P. incarnata...makes good fruit. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast