What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora my new addiction...

whoa! incarnata? red?
I only know the name of one red one... maybe it's coccinea?

I don't know. I could not find coccinea but that is the plant. Ugg PAssifolia is so annoying there are so amny species and they are all mislabeled in the pictures.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 29 2005,7:38)]I would not mind having
http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/images....20a.jpg
I have one of those unfortunately it is too small right now to take cuttings of but contact me in a few months and I might be able to give you a cutting or two depending on how quickly my plant grows.

Also do you have a closer pic of that red passiflora? Maybe I could identify it.

I could not find one. BTW how do I make cuttings?

Cut off the first 2-3 inches of new growth off a vine, apply rooting hormone to the base and stick in moist soil. Mak sure the soil is always moist and humidity is high and you should be getting roots in a few weeks. Some plants though are alost impossible to root. I have been trying to get P. Murcuja to root for ages and it just keeps rotting. I have also heard of people rooting them in water.

Will try. Unfortunatly I jsut saw Gulf frittery caterpillers on it so I will have to wait. When I talked to the owner of Biophila she said usually gulf fritterys don't like red Passiflora but they sure like mine. And I have no intention of disturbing them since they are the main reason I grow Passiflora

gulf frits? are you sure it's caerulea? maybe it's a hybrid? I heard caerulea is supposed to be poisonous to gulf frits. They eat incarnata and lutea...
I like lepidopterans. Gulf frits must be one of the coolest butterflies. Too bad they don't live all the way up here
smile_h_32.gif
I wish they would find my P. incarnata (when it grows! lol)

P. incarnata is the only U.S. native passiflora.  And being a native species, I doubt there is a red variety. It is winter hardy up to a point but wouldn't survive in extremely cold areas like the far northern US.  It will die back to the ground and "pop up" again in the spring...hence its common name "Maypop."

P. caerulea is also a fairly hardy plant.  Most passiflora are tropicals but some are more sensitive to chill than others. I grow several varieties and put them in the basement over the winter under lights. They do fine til its time to put them back outside.

I love P. incarnata...makes good fruit.  
smile.gif

Well I till have to get the native one (incarnata) but the cerulea (I was assured by the nursery person the other day thats what it is) is certainly the fritts favorite but they will eat the red one also (not as much but since it is the biggest now...)

Chekc this out http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passifloraimages.htm
all about it. Okay I have
1) Red one (still to be id)
2) P. incarnata (I thought was caerulea but it is not, blue flowers)
3) will have P. caerulea (has white flowers and I thought it was native because thats wht I planned to get a cutting from in the wild)
I wish I knew about this site before.

Hmm. Thats odd. Well I will look at it.

Everything I've read says incarnata is the only species native to the US.

P. caerulea, while not as winter hardy as the incarnata, will withstand chilly temps. Supposedly its winter hardy here in Zone 7 (unless it gets reeeaaally cold).

A nice passiflora website is Misty's Passiflora. Lots of pics and small descriptions. I can't remember the exact addy but a web search should get you the site.

Back