What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora my new addiction...

OK I work at the Ohio State Ornamental Plant Germplasm Center on campus and our mission statement is to preserve the various germplasms (genetic material) of plants from seeds to tissue culture. Anyways since I have been working there for the past 6 months I have fallen in love with passiflora. We have about a hundred different varieties and nearly all of them are beautiful I have already taken cuttings of 4 different varieties such as P. coriacea, P. Sunburst hybrid and P. Amethystina and I just took some other cuttings recently of another plant which will hopefully root soon. It's my goal to eventually get cuttings started of all of the plants because they are cool. It's a pity though I live in the dorms and don't have much space. I can't wait till I move into my house next year so I can convert part of my basement into a grow room to get my collection to start flourishing. Anyways does anyone else grow this awesome looking plant? If so do you have pictures? Also for a look at what I do and to make possible contributions check out my jobs worksite http://www.opgc.osu.edu/index.php

PAK's the one you want
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: Dude godzilla is so old
biggrin.gif
I like the one with mothra...

Yeah the big is old. He just turned 50 in November. I'm still obsessed with as he is more important to me then any other of my hobbies. And saying you liked the one with Mothra is like saying you like the car with cupholders fyi
smile_n_32.gif
Hmm I was having problems posting on AOL but firefox is still letting me post

lol

I like the one where he came out of the ocean. THAT was THE best!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 01 2005,3:25)]lol

Uhm he does in just about every episode..

the one where he comes out of a radioactive volcano is teh best

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Mar. 01 2005,8:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 01 2005,3:25)]lol

Uhm he does in just about every episode..

the one where he comes out of a radioactive volcano is teh best
Are you talking about Godzilla 1985 or Godzilla vs Biollante?

Anyways back on topic I just took cuttings of Passiflora foetida var. arizonica

My passifloras: P. caruelea
P. alato-caruelea "all white"
P. phordi (carulea X alata)
P. "Frederick" (Fruit bearing)
P. edulis (Fruit bearing)
P. alata (Very beautiful!!)
P. racemosa (Purple petals, all white corona)

Please tell me when you take cuttings of edulis! I have caerulea. That is all.
smile_n_32.gif

P. quadrangularis, that's always been my favorite, it's the fronds!

Yes, I am a huge passiflora fan!  I'm always looking for more myself.  They easily become an addiction.  Such fantastically beautiful flowers!  I have some photos of mine posted on the web site Patrick used to have.  I'm not sure where that is now...Phil might be hosting it.  I think its still around.

And I love the fruit! Yum!

There are several I'm still looking for including P. foetida and a few others.

Passiflora alata is drop dead gorgeous.

Crap my P. Foetida cuttings didn't make it. Oh well my other cuttings are still alive and thriving.

I love passiflora, i want P. Citrina most

I just came accros some fantastic photos of some passifloras and remembered this thread. Does anyone know if any are hardy to zone 7. On Ebay some folks say not lower than 40 degrees and others that some are hardy below zero. Are they easy to grow from seed or are cuttings the best way to go? Does anyone have any to trade? All the best, Paul

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does anyone know if any are hardy to zone 7.
in response to your... statement... (lol) P. incarnata is

Yep P. Incarnata appears to be your best bet. P. lutea is another hardy plant. I won't be able to take cuttings of my cuttings for a few months. Though I have P. Incarnata, P Foetida var Arizonica P. Amethystina, P. coriacea and P. Sunburst Hybrid. Like I said I won't be able to take cuttings though for a while.:(

I grow two species P. caerulea and I think incarnata. I will soon have the native species though.

Well anyway mine are blue and red respectivly and I will have the native white one.  I hope to get some others but I will have to find them.  If anyone is willing to trade pm me.

My blue one does not flower much but the red flowers from september until frost (Dec. 21st usually)

Back