What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonsai pic thread!

Does anyone here grow bonsai? I know some do. Let's see your pictures! Here's my 60 year old maple, and it's always a relief to see those leaves come back after the winter!

bonsai_maple_1.sized.jpg

Capslock

Hey Guys! Oh, yes, yes, I also, cultivate Bonsai, so I have some pcitures here.

Max, your Maple is breathtaking, which spiecies is it?

Well, here are few pict of my Bonsai collection. The pics are not of a good resolution, but ihope you can enjoy it;0)

Here is one of my Japanese Maples, with new leaves after winter dormancy:
ACERPALMATUMBONSAISPRING.jpg

Here you can see the new leaves, they are really gorgeous:
ACERPALMATUMLEAVES.jpg

This is a part of my Ficuss Too Little Bonsai. this one is 5 years old:
FICUSTOOLITTLEBONSAI.jpg

This is a Mame Bonsai of Chinese Ming Aralia, its heigth is only 4 inches and has a 1.5 inches of duiametre trunk:
ARALIABONSAIWOUNDED3.jpg

This is my Musa x Paradisiaca Bonsai, yes... as you see, this is a Banana Bonsai, it is 4 years old:
BANANABONSAI2.jpg

And here you can see my scarlett Bougainvillea. This is the first year that this marvellous plant covered itself with lots of flowers, I love it:
BUGAINVILLEASCARLETTBONSAI2.jpg

I have many other Bonsai, but I do not have updated pics, while I take new ones I will post more.

will the banana make tiny bananas? lol
I've always liked bonsais but they're too expensive and they need too much sun.

I have several Bonsai,
been growing them for 10 years now.
I have a Japanese Hornbeam.
a Trident Maple forest.
A Japanese zelcova.
and many Japanese Maples in the ground, grown from seed.
some of them are 8 years old now and are almost ready to be moved into pots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I've always liked bonsais but they're too expensive and they need too much sun.

not true!
smile.gif

you can get started in bonsai for FREE!
get some seeds of varieties that make good Bonsai..
Japanese Maples are ideal.
Beech.
Pines.
Elms.
Junipers.

plant the seeds *in the ground* and let them grow for about 5 years, all the while reading up on bonsai and trimmming them.
training young bonsai in the ground is MUCH better than growing immature trees in pots.
they are much more vigiorous in the ground and the trunks thicken much faster..5 years in the ground equals 20 years in a pot!
then after 5-8 years they can be put in a bonsai pot and you have a tree you trained yourself from seed! very satisfying!

I have picked just-sprouted Japanese maple seedlings out of the ground from a local cemetary and planted them in theh ground at my parent's yard..
they are looking great now!

also, Junipers and other trees can be bought cheaply at garden centers to begin training as Bonsai.
thats also a good place to get Japanese maples cheaply.
the main thing is that you want trees with naturally small leaves.
regular maples (sugar maple, red maple) arent so great..the leaves are too big.

I recommend just going to a bookstore and looking at/buying books on Bonsai, there are lots of good ones.
and..dont spend more than $40 on any one Bonsai tree until you have been immersed in the hobby at leat 5 years! ;)
actually..dont buy any tree *already* in a Bonsai pot when you are just starting out..
and NEVER buy a bonsai tree from Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target, the mall, etc.
they are all overpriced junk..
you can do MUCH better yourself by buying plants that *arent* being sold as Bonsai, then training them yourself to turn them into Bonsai.

Cpshelf4.jpg

Hello Guys!

Alphawolph: No, this bonsai won't produce bananas, it will produce a miniature flower spike but the flowers will not mature into fruits. At least that is what has happende with my other Banana Bonsai.

As Scottychaos said, Bonsai culture is not expensive, if you do it your own way, as it is suppossed to be, it is not expensive. Follow the adices that Scottychaos has given you and you will see that Bonsai are not that epxensive as most think.

Scottychaos: You maples look fantastic! Are those Trident Maples on the forrest with the blue pot ?

See you guys!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they are much more vigiorous in the ground and the trunks thicken much faster..5 years in the ground equals 20 years in a pot!
then after 5-8 years they can be put in a bonsai pot and you have a tree you trained yourself from seed! very satisfying!
wow that's a BIG difference! I still can't though. I'll be going to college soon, and I don't have a yard to plant them on, I don't get much sun, and the AC (heating) will probably kill them in their little pots. stupid AC!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alphawolph: No, this bonsai won't produce bananas, it will produce a miniature flower spike but the flowers will not mature into fruits. At least that is what has happende with my other Banana Bonsai
PPPSSSSTTT! check the spelling (of my name) lol. I've seen it spelled alfawolf but I don't think I had ever seen it alphawolph
smile_k_ani_32.gif

well, miniature flower spikes is better than nothing
biggrin.gif
I wish they got little bananas though.
someday I'll get into bonsais.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (emilias_garden @ Mar. 15 2005,2:05)]Scottychaos: You maples look fantastic! Are those  Trident Maples on the forrest with the blue pot ?
thanks!
yes, thats a Trident maple forest.

I've been bonsai'ing this small ginger ficus I have. But then my sisters dog knocked it over and chewed on its root swellings. Its recovering but I'm pissed because now it doesn't look as nice. I'll take a picture this evening....

I'm finding it hard to resist buying a cheap bonsai from Home Depot. 5 years is a long time to be investing. But of course I'm willing. I'm attempting to grow some Baobab (Adansonia digitata) from seed and eventually grow it as bonsai. What are some fast growing trees for an impatient bonsai'er?

I had a weeping willow bonsai about 10 years ago, but ofcourse since I had one my mom had to get one... Then she killed both of them..

Back