Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree id please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hi all,

I have this lovely 10' tree in my backyard, and no idea what it is. I believe it may be a tree from China, as my parents remember having trees like this while growing up there. The flowers are extremely fragrant - smelling like a mix of banana, apple, strawberry? Well, let's just say it smells awesome. the flower also has an odd quality of being very delicate. After it's half or fully opened, just touching it will make the petals fall off. If anyone knows the name of this tree, please let me know. Thanks!

A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure but want to say it must be in the orchid tree family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnolia Family? At first glance it looked like some sort of a magnolia cultivar.

Hmmm, glossy compound leaves that are smooth and ovate. A deciduous tree with alternate branching. Would you be in a position to add a photo here of the bark and also of just the leaves? Does this tree fruit at all? Maybe berries? If so what color are the berries?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinkin Magnolia of some sort.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's such an odd tree, the blooms are actually only 1-2" in diameter when they're open. The pictures of them as buds in the photos above are about the size of large almonds.

The leaves don't look like the orchid tree pics that I've seen, and are much smaller than common magnolias (which I also have in the backyard) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Well, I'll keep looking, thank's for all of the good suggestions so far. It does help!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking more and more that you have a magnolia.

Try here- http://www.magnoliasociety.org/index.html

And here is a great taxonomic listing-
    http://www.magnoliasociety.org/classifications_ndx.html

A veritable plethora of cultivar listings here if you scroll down and click on the listed magnolias-
    http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/modzzm.html

You are probably going to have to do a lot of Internet digging to narrow it down because there are so many hybrids out there.

Best wishes to you.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be magnolia related. Everything about it looks like a magnolia. Leaves, flower petals, pistils. But don't know what kind.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep magnolia related. I was thrown off by the color. YEs the right number of petals. Listen to Laura she certain knows a lot about "normal" plants. It may be a varity from china or somewhere in Asia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast