What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attack of the... somethings!

i'm growing some nasturtiums in containers on the porch, which have been doing great until tonight, when my mom noticed large clusters of what i thought were black aphids on the tops of the stems. whatever they were they covered the tops of several stems, and had infested the geraniums in the pot as well. the plants still looked fine otherwise but this is the first time we've seen the bugs. doing a little quick research online, i see that nasturtiums are actually supposed to REPEL aphids. so what the heck are these things? and more importantly... how do i get RID of them?!

thanx!

Almost certainly blackfly - a kind of aphid. you may find ants farming them. spray them off with water or treat with a dilute soapy solution. Remember that the leaves and flowers are edible on nastertiums and they have a nice peppery taste.
Look out for tuberous ones - these are perennial climbers mostly and are great. T. speciosum is the most common - with red fl.

BR
Chris

Back