User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the final total from the '05 auction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 13 2005,10:31)]Dang! That's a lot of wind for one person!
    But so VERY well said. We need more people like Laura who have their you-know-what together working for a cause like the NASC.

You're good Laura. You're real good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good and WINDY!!!!! LOL!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually if you want the facts...I submitted my resignation to the Board. It was never voted on to accept or reject.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 14 2005,10:32)]Actually if you want the facts...I submitted my resignation to the Board. It was never voted on to accept or reject.
    Whew! I read the threads again and did not recall seeing finality to this matter. Thanks for sticking it out PAK and keeping your voice of reason in the mix.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an outsider's perspective, it seems that there are some ambitions that are beyond the scope of the entity. First, running a real, official non-profit takes FULL-TIME committment from people who have the knowledge and experience to do so. It also takes upfront money - lawyers, paperwork, etc. It involves ongoing expenses. These things are non-trivial, and not something that people can casually do in their off-time.

Perhaps the best thing to do is re-evaluate the realisitc goals of the NASC. Perhaps it's best kept at a casual "club" level for a while. Whatever goals the NASC has should be realistic and attainable given the people involved and the time and expertise they can provide. Even merely having the occasional fund-raising auction and donating the money to worthy causes is a viable and worthwhile undertaking. But if that's going to be the practical extent of it, that needs to be understood and discussed.

Just looking at this thread, it's pretty clear the ambitions and dreams outstripped the capacity to fulfill them. It's not the end of the world, or even a bad thing. But everyone should be honest about what's happened and likely to happen in the future.

Capslock

PS: Go after Casper. He stole money from a lot of us - everyone who took part in the auction, bottom line. I donated a N. hamata, and didn't do it for Casper's gain.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 14 2005,4:29)]PS: Go after Casper. He stole money from a lot of us - everyone who took part in the auction, bottom line. I donated a N. hamata, and didn't do it for Casper's gain.
    I second the motion. I believe this should be the subject of priority right now. As I understand it the NASC has not achieved Non Profit status yet and I keep reading that the board members, whoever they are, are waiting to discuss what actions they are going to take. If Non Profit status has not been achieved yet then isn't the NASC still considered a hobbiest circle? It would appear that the intention is not to do anything at all and just let it slip by.

I have decided, just for my own personal piece of mind, to consult my attorney and get the details on what can be done as a hobbiest member...even though I did not partake in last year's auction. Maybe it doesn't take a vote from the board if the NASC is not a legally registered entity.

I'm certainly not trying to create animosity here but I have many good friends who contributed both plant material and monies towards the NASC cause and are frustrated as hell that nobody is taking even the slightest stance to pursue Casper. So as an outsider I'm going to look into it. I work with one of the best attornies in the Bay Area and he'll consult with me for free. Perhaps there is nothing I nor any of us 'non board members' can do but I would like to know all the details for myslef. I'm sure there are loopholes that we are not aware of. And if there aren't and I am going off on a tangent then my mind will rest at ease. At least I will have felt that I personally made a contribution to preserve the name of the NASC at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Posted by PlantAKiss on June 22 2005,10:04
    I'm not going to argue with you. You have your opinions and I have mine. If you wish to continue to publicly bash me and NASC, feel free. Go for it! I really don't care. I tendered my resignation to the Board last week. It is up to them to vote for acceptance or not.
    Interesting. I read PAKs comments directed to April as did many others. Most people resign and call it a day yet she did conscientiously choose to add that little accept or reject blurb. I've been on several Boards before and I'm still active on one right now. I've seen this card pulled a few times. It has been my experience that when "we" (past and present not for profit Boards I was elected to serve on) received a resignation such as hers that appeared to be a ploy by the individual to be begged to stay, “we” called an emergency session to formally accept the resignation to avoid having to address future comments such as the ones just posted by PAK in which she basically stated she resigned back then but really didn't. Not that a vote or a formal acceptance of any resignation is necessary though. When an individual tenders their resignation then broadcasts their resignation as she did, a swift and expeditious formal acceptance just better enables the outgoing Executive Board Member to better stick to their word. FYI, tendered resignations only go to a vote on the Big Screen. They get accepted unconditionally in real life with very few exceptions. She had no contractual obligation to the NASC. None of us did.
    Quote[/b] ]Posted by 0zzy on June 20 2005,9:31
    April, I replied to what you said... You said the NASC don't exist. You're almost right. We are not up and running yet, and we don't have the ablity to save many plants, YET. There was some people that wanted to put the horse before the cart and start going out and save plants, get our name out before we really even existed. The first thing we need to do is to get non-profit status. Then we can move forward. If you don't want to be part of this there is nobody forcing you to. We don't need somebody hanging around telling us what we're doing wrong when she don't have a clue to what's going on behind the scene. The board members were elected. I don't know who choose Casper, that was before I was a real part of the NASC. Again this is another thing where you're running your mouth but don't know any facts. Casper had or has a teminal disease. We don't know if he's even alive. He was an honest man, that had no need to steal any money. You have no right to drag his name through the mud, when you don't have a clue who he is or his physical condition.
    All of this is moot as it appears many have not been provided with a “behind the scenes look” at what is really going on. The former President and Vice President included. I believe the NASC is beyond crippled and has lost all credibility and in some circles, it is being referred to as a "comedy of egos" with one person even commenting that an instructional video on how to destroy a great idea should be marketed and sold using the acts of all the members from the NASC who did not act as a team. Come now, I seriously doubt the caliber of volunteer “we” were looking to attract to the NASC would be interested in exposing themselves to liability associated with what is deemed a "runaway board" in the industry with no general liability or E&O insurance that isn’t even incorporated currently saddled with a chunk of money out there that will need to be accounted for sooner or later. I’m thinking that perhaps it is in all of our best interests to seriously pursue transferring those auction funds over to The Nature Conservancy or to Botanique in this calendar year so they can be put to good use within an established organization that has leadership in place. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in order to file tax returns on that money, I suspect those federal ID’s are going to have to be applied for and the NASC would have to be incorporated. I doubt seriously if there would be time to apply for not for profit status in this calendar year so the NASC would be taxed as a for profit corporation. I suspect that by the time all the professional fees were paid, there would be a balance due with absolutely nothing left to pay tax liabilities or to carry over into the next year when professional services would again be needed. Who will claim responsibility for any balances due on professional services? Do “we” hold another auction and another and another? Losing Copper’s time and talent as well as all of her contacts to pro bono professional services may be the final blow to the NASC.

I for one wanted my auction contributions to go to conservation efforts as opposed to administration and set up costs. It doesn’t appear that will ever happen with Copper and her contacts gone and that places the NASC in an extremely vulnerable position as professional services are most assuredly still needed and it is doubtful they will be free or even available at a reduced rate with her gone. I can guarantee I will not offer to contribute funds to cover professional services to the NASC at this juncture because I certainly do not feel comfortable with what is going on and I might as well drive down Interstate 64 tossing ten dollar bills out my car window as the effect would be about the same.

Getting rid of the auction money like a hot potato would lend some closure to this mess and free up those interested so they could pursue a brand new conservancy (NACPC.org? North American Carnivorous Plant Conservancy?) There was merit to some of 0zzy’s past comments in which he stated he didn’t understand why the conservancy was exclusively for Sarracenia anyway. Anyone not left with a bad taste in their mouth still interested in participating in a not for profit conservancy could feel free to start a new one up from scratch using their resources and contacts, OR volunteer and/or donate their time and talent to actual not for profits where they would be able to receive a tax deductible donation slip for their contributions, OR they could just incorporate a for profit conservancy on their own and at their own expense and then they could pick and choose whomever they want to be members of their conservancy and nobody would have to answer to any silly old elected Board. They’d be able to do what they wanted, when they wanted, and at whomever’s expense without a care in the world. No need to be team players at all in this last scenario!
    Quote[/b] ] Posted by PlantAKiss on June 21 2005,3:24
    I'm not happy about the situation but I still care more about Casper's well-being than the money. It's not like a million dollars disappeared. Yes, it was a nice chunk of change and no, no one is very thrilled about its status in limbo, but I don't see it as an issue to get bogged down over… I will consider Casper a friend until facts prove otherwise. I'm sorry...that's just how I am. Right now, no one knows what happened and who am I to sit in judgement of the situation without all the facts. I'm not a judgemental person and I don't "call into question the character" of someone until I know all the facts regarding a particular situation. And how do you know "nothing has been done about it"??....
    Quote[/b] ]Posted by PlantAKiss on June 21 2005,8:46
    To me, he was a friend whom I talked to on the phone, online, via PM and email.
    For the record, I happen to know legal action wasn’t pursued although it would appear PAK would have others believe differently. To even suggest that he be pursued was deemed taboo at times. I’m really sorry for PAK but it would appear her ability to act in the best interests of the Board may have been impaired. It’s that old conflict of interest I mentioned earlier.

This sums it up for me-
    Quote[/b] ] Posted by aprilh on June 21 2005,9:27
    Secrets are for 5 year olds.

This being said, I sincerely hope a Board meeting for the NASC is called so these issues can be addressed by whoever is left and minutes can be taken and posted for all to see. I’m confident there is enough body count for a quorum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I was typing when those posts came in.

Capslock, great point-
    Quote[/b] ]Perhaps it's best kept at a casual "club" level for a while.
    Philcula, to the best of my knowledge, whatever is going on is outside of the protective auspices of the Board-
    Quote[/b] ]whoever they are, are waiting to discuss what actions they are going to take.
    Quote[/b] ]If Non Profit status has not been achieved yet then isn't the NASC still considered a hobbiest circle?
    Not necessarily. Representations were made to the contrary and people relied upon those representations when participating in the auctions.

One final thought.. what about asking the people who contributed plants and other goods for this year's auction what they think.

A Board meeting should be called though.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast