User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the final total from the '05 auction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, what was the final total collected from the '05 auction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're on this subject, what project will these proceeds be used for? I don't peruse all the forum threads but I also haven't seen or read any development about the proceeds from the 2004 auction. What project has that been allocated to?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I checked with Phil, money was still straggling in...but the total was over $3,000. I will check with him to see what the current total is. He is holding the money for now.

As for the 2004 auction money...the person holding that money disappeared off the face of the earth. We have tried contacting him with no success. We will be deciding what to do about that but I'm not sure we have any legal recourse with it.

Hopefully we will be using part of the new funds towards getting legal status (papers drawn up for not-for-profit status) and then decide how the rest of the funds will be spent. We need to determine what will be the most important issues that need financial attention first.

Things have been on hold temporarily. Rose is still having some health issues and is also very busy at work (last I heard from her)...but soon we will be gathering the group for some reorganization. We might be jockeying some positions around to better situate us to move forward.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK, send some of that finance my way.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK as per the '04 auction you most certainly do have legal recourse. Anything from federal mail fraud, to larceny by converstion. Both of which would be federal crimes because money was sent across state lines.

Something needs to be done about the money from last year, it is unfair to the NASC and the people who participated in the auction to not pursue it. You must have Casper's real name and last known address. If you can pass it along to me via PM I can almost assure you that a current address can be found, at which time I can pass the situation on to the local authorities wherever he is found. Even if the money cannot be returned it is owed to the participants to pursue Casper for his legal responsibilities.

Regarding this years auction, I think it paramount that the people who participated either by donating iteams or by bidding on items be in the loop in how the money has been spent. It has been months since the auction and atleast to the people who are not on the board it seems as if the wheels have stopped turning and the money is just sitting still.

Wolf
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolf, it seems that way to me too! Caspers real name was Paul Leubbert, and he hailed from--ready for this?------New Orleans! For all we know Paul could be dead, or could have lost everything. I asked Copper to pursue legal litigation, and was told there was nothing she could do. I didn't think so, but , she wouldn't do it. I was majorly disappointed that nothing would be done. So, as it stands right now, we have Caspers name, but no address. I have sent him plants, and like I always do, lost the address. If you wish to try to find the punk, feel free. I am all for it. I may still have his phone number, but at this point, I don't think it would do us any good.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so fast, I attended every Board Meeting other than one when we were on vacation in Hawaii for three weeks and I couldn't get to a computer and Copper's position was always that there was nothing she felt comfortable doing from a professional stand point. Each and every police department will have guidelines for conduct that vary based on laws in each state. To the best of my knowledge, she believed a conflict of interest might exist in so much as she is a Law Enforcement Officer herself. Cops just can't go poking around just because they have access to resources based on their profession. Furthermore, a decision to pursue him needed to be placed before the Board and approved. This didn't happen to the best of my knowledge. When there is a Board, individuals just can't go off making decisions on their own. It isn't a solo sport and people shouldn't be making decisions to act without the knowledge and consent of the entire Board. Needless to say, Rose would not have overstepped her professional boundaries. It's not her style.

I believe it to be blatantly obvious at this point in time that Paul's health most probably was not an issue as pertained to the disappearance of the NASC's money. I couldn't find an obituary out there on him and no missing person's report anywhere either. That sent up red flags for me. The money from 2004 was in Casper's care, custody, and control and it is gone... this is old news. It's no secret, I offered to fund a skip search at two NASC Board meetings. I also offered to fund a consultation with a practicing attorney in the state of origin after noticing a few inconsistencies. His full name and last known address were there for the taking in a thread at Terra (still probably are or PAK would have his address but having a last known phone number is a tremendous help) so my thoughts were that it wouldn’t have been difficult to locate him. For whatever reason, a few members weren't interested in pursuing this type of action back when I offered so I dropped it when I was basically told, "thanks but no thanks". It was a Board decision not to pursue Paul back then not Rose's. Bottom line, many originally believed something horrible had happened to Paul due to the steadfast faith in the man proclaimed by a few members here. As stated before in another thread; I, like many others, am now in the Bugweed camp on this. I too believe Paul did abscond with the money. Legal remedies are most certainly available as mentioned by Wolf. In the best interests of the NASC, a formal complaint should probably be drafted and filed if there are enough people interested in rolling up their sleeves to deal with the nuts and bolts of going forward with the NASC and helping Copper so she doesn’t have to go it on her own. Somebody would have to get the ball rolling with the knowledge and consent of whatever is left of the Board. Reporting the money gone to the appropriate authorities would be a good start. The Board should seriously consider reporting this to the USPS... can we say possible mail fraud? I suggested this avenue several times in the past. Paul accepted checks and money orders for high bids via common carrier (that would be the US Postal Service) on behalf of the NASC. For what it’s worth, I truly believe the missing money from last year needs to be addressed or this issue is going to continue to rear its ugly head undermining attempts to get this fledgling organization up and running. Not for profits are dependent upon an image portrayed to the public that must be above reproach. Scandal is a big turn off. The money is gone and to the best of my knowledge, no attempts are currently being made to pursue the young man who has it and no attempts were made to pursue him back when there were regular NASC meetings.

There have been no Board Meetings in months. Issue- regardless of whether the NASC is a not for profit or not, it currently has assets. I believe Federal ID #'s need to be applied for and a corporate tax return needs to be prepared and filed as well as a financial statement. A 501 (c ) (3) status can be applied for later and after (if) it is granted, the NASC could probably file a standard financial statement and a basic 990EZ however a tax lawyer or a CPA should be involved in the process. I feel bad that Terra Forums is stuck holding on to the '05 auction money as filings aren’t their responsibility but more importantly, if Rose comes back from being sick this could overwhelm her and then the NASC could be stuck looking for yet another person at the helm.

PlantAKiss resigned from the Board back in June. If Rose is sick and juggling work, being a Mom, and being a wife; this is not good because there is business to be taken care of with all that money sitting out there and she was the President pro tem per Bugweed. So I guess my question is what amount of money was collected and who is still a Board Member and working with the money while she can’t be there for the NASC because the year is coming to a close and those holdings need to be reported or they could become yet another stumbling block for the NASC to overcome in the future?

I really would like to know what was generated this year and what is being done with it because gosh… I’d really like to see it being put to good use. This year’s auction proceeds were made possible by good people who believe in conservation and they should be used for same at some time in the reasonably foreseeable future. 3k+ truly is a lot of money to be sitting around doing nothing.

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=18873

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=19274

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! I guess I have been out of the loop, not that I'm a board member or anything. I should start perusing these threads more often.

So....if the current proceeds from the 2005 auction are still in limbo...or at least awaiting a decision for what to do with it, why doesn't it all get donated to something like the Nature Conservancy or something like that? Wouldn't that seem like a very gracious offer on our part? I don't know how all this works but it would at least be a process towards cp conservation. Can't donated monies be asked to be put towards a specific cause with the NC? Just curious.

And as far as this Casper person goes...it doesn't sound like he's the friendly ghost character. Maybe the ball should start rolling to get the money back or at the very least something should be done to hold him accountable. With all this junk that's going on it may have devastating effects on any future auctions or fund raising efforts. Folks here may not want to participate in any future fund raisers if they're always surrounded by ugliness.

Sorry if I have made any gramatical/spelling errors. Just getting over a hideous bout of the flu. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast