Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regional head growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have received PMs relating to this, but have not seen it spelled out in this thread yet, so here goes:

I think Rose is on the right track with the idea that there are more growers in particular areas where Sarracenia are easier to grow. From MY standpoint, I have my mature Sarrs outside year-round, and they do just fine. I'm sure there are going to be many more growers along the Gulf Coast, Atlantic Coast and Pacific Coast than just about anywhere else, and thus there is a need for smaller regions in these areas. As for having a 'Plains Region' that stretches from Texas to Canada, I think (and hope) there would be MANY more growers in such a region than one regional grower could/should keep track of.

This doesn't mean there aren't growers in other parts of the country that can participate. But I DO feel that there needs to be a set of requirements that growers must be able to meet in order to participate. I would hate for a bunch of rare seeds to go to someone who is not familiar with growing Sarrs from seed, only to have them not make it.

Perhaps there should be differing levels of growers, with novice or less able (due to growing requirements) growers getting less critical populations to work with? That way the NASC has the best chance of success in reaching their goal.

Maybe novice growers should be steered towards joining the ICPS; that way they can show their commitment to the CP community, AND they could have access to Sarracenia seeds that may not be as critical. If they have good success with more common populations, then they could be given rarer seeds in the future.

Just my thoughts...

Mike
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree. Scot, that map is not bad, but I am hoping to break up the regions a little more. Right now I have heard from 6 to 7 people that will be able to be Regional Growers. We will need growings under them. More important we have to build an army of collectors in the regions that have the cp populace. They are the most Important. Please, if you live in an area where cps are found, please be willing to give a little of your time. If you are willing to save these plants when their destruction is inevitable please contact Ozzy. We will not go recklessly, and without cause, taking these plants from their habitat, but we will rescue them if they are to be destroy. This will be done with permission from the landowner or other responsible parties. Please be listed among those who can help the most. Wthout collectors we have nothing.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this talk of regional head growers sounds like a lot more trouble than most people will be able to manage contributing to a distributed volunteer organization. Having some stratified pyramid to manage growers will probably prove complicated. Would it perhaps be easier to manage growers' reports electronically? If all the growers could submit their reports via the web or email, then you could have just a few auditors to go through and review reports as they're submitted. Growers could be notified automatically if they fail to report, so there would be accountability for turning in reports in a timely manner. Additionally, having the information in a database format would make running demographics much easier.
    I don't have experience with anything on the scale of the NASC, but I have observed in the past that problems tend to crop up a lot in the middle of management chains. It seems like, in this situation, you have the option of making things work with less complication. Having the whole affair centralized and automated would mean less shuffling papers for growers and less sifting through mixed records for everybody else. If you like, I would be glad to develop a system to this end for the NASC.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, That is an excellent idea!!! Copper, and the rest of you, I think this could work. It is enough living life, and taking care of business without taking on too much. I like this idea of auditors to keep the growers straight and the records of the seeding program and seedling distribution on line. And reminding us to report, MAN!!!!, could I use that!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything to make the paperwork easier. Go for it Seedjar. But the heads will always have to remember to have hard copies on hand.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... how would you all like to proceed? Before I begin I need to pin down what you guys want of the database. What kind of information is presently maintained about NASC growers? How are strains and individual plants tracked? What kind of information makes up one of these reports? Also, what would a hard copy consist of - are these signed papers or something? It will always be possible to make backups of the electronic records.
    ~Joe
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar, you contact Dean Cook, and ask him what he would like. Tell him what you have, what you propose to do, and Dean WILL be interested. www.************* will get you to him.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bugs, will do.
    ~Joe