Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SUGGESTION BOX!  Ideas Welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez - Sorry to have missed all the excitement! It's been horrible not to have been online for the past week or so, but the family and I were...touring...

The Citronelle Bogs
    The Avalon Bogs
    The Apalachicola Bogs
    INCLUDING the VFT site and the red tube flava site...

Documented every southern species of Sarracenias in these areas, PLUS bunches of simple AND complex hybrids. AWESOME!!

This has been the trip of a lifetime, all in one week's time.

Thanks to those who shared their knowledge of these areas..you made a potentially dangerous multi-day trip with the family into a lifelong memory!

Good to be back online!

As for the Ivory Tower syndrome, I just want to know who Saruman is!!! LOL

All kidding aside, I was also one who had elected in the beginning not to be a part of the NASC. I felt this was something the motivated few were charging into, without sitting back and taking some time to determine the proper direction first.

It seems that things are MUCH more organized now, and that those who are in board positions are all concerned for the good of the organization AND the plants we so love AND their habitats. THIS is what brought me back, and gave me the motivation to accept a regional head grower position.

PS, you seem very motivated as well...perhaps you should contact the board and request to be a grower in your region? I'm sure we will need ALL the help we can muster in the future!
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...what a trip! Sounds awsome. I hope you got some great pics. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from Apalachicola as well. I will post pictures at a later date since I'm not using digital. Kind of late for pitcher viewing but still very cool. They should call the place Pinguicula National Forest. Almost steped on an aligator, that was fun.

Please post pictures if you have them.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we have room a gallery area would be nice.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading in the Last post about a meeting, saying that their should be locations of Bogs on a map?

I find this repulsing. Their are pleanty of people who are senceless enough to go out and poach plants. Unless this map is distributed to only The members of that Metting(sorry i dont rember the name) I just wondering cause... yea i dont feel right knowing that that kind of information is givin out freely to any one. (maybe i didint read enough, if so im sorry for my actions)

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always best to be sure of your information before you put your foot in your mouth.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bog locations will not be public information for the reason you site. As far as our members who must know of the locations, ie conservancy collectors, growers, they will be signing a privacy disclosure. We do not want poaching. It is against what we stand for, returning the plants to wild stands.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll reiterate what Copper has stated here. The LAST thing we want is for poaching of ANY kind to occur. It is hoped that the efforts of the NASC will reduce, if not eliminate, the profitability of poaching.

I can't say that I recall anything being mentioned about a map with bog locations on it, but I can ASSURE you that location information will not be disclosed to anyone who doesn't have to have it. In fact, a coding system has been developed, so that plants from each location can be grown without that grower having to know the exact location it comes from.

Rest assured that this will be done in as confidential a manner as is possible.

Regards,

Mike Howlett
    NASC National Head Grower
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast