What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SUGGESTION BOX!  Ideas Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread will serve as a place for members to let us know their concerns, complaints and maybe even support.  I will ask for an area to be added to the website for this, but for now this can serve as the contact department.  Please also remember that you can directly contact a board member.

Hi Copper,

This is more in the way of a suggestion... no complaints here.

Is it possible to get the next set of meetings scheduled
in advance (like next 3 or four months) or pick a certain
day of the week that most can agree upon.

Thanks,

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, MA

The meetings will be on Thursday nights. I think your suggestion is a good one and will get the next few months set up. I will post it on the forum. Thank you for the suggestion.

Just another thought...imagine THAT, right? LOL

Many orgs have gone to two-year terms, and elect one half of their officers each year. This has the benefit of ensuring that the org always has officers that have been there a while. If ALL the officers are voted on annually, and all new officers are instated (I know...unlikely), there would be a major knowledge vacuum, and the organization would suffer tremendously.

Besides, it takes a while to get the hang of an appointed position. The last thing you want to do is have someone voted out just as they're getting into the groove...

Regards,

Mike

I think that is a very good idea.

I think that our website should have a Forum for the Board members and the Individual members to get together and chat about things on their minds, ideas they have, and other odds and ends to keep the Board members and the members in close contact with each other.That way, with all parties of the organization in contact via the website, then when voting is taking place, or about to, all of us can talk together in one place. And the ideas and wants of the members can be fairly weighed in with the needs of the Organization. It would prevent Ivory Tower syndrome within the organization as well, keeping the Board, and the members on an even keel. Thoughts?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 17 2005,10:02)]I think that our website should have a Forum for the Board members and the Individual members to get together and chat about things on their minds, ideas they have, and other odds and ends to keep the Board members and the members in close contact with each other.That way, with all parties of the organization in contact via the website, then when voting is taking place, or about to, all of us can talk together in one place. And the ideas and wants of the members can be fairly weighed in with the needs of the Organization. It would prevent Ivory Tower syndrome within the organization as well, keeping the Board, and the members on an even keel. Thoughts?
Bugweed i think thats a very good sugestion.
smile.gif

Communication is the key all right Bugweed. I could never keep an Ivory Tower clean. I like the idea. We will have to see what we can do. And remember, the meetings are open to all the members. Members can take the floor, make suggestions, comments and complaints. Whatever is needed.

Copper, and all involved in the NASC, this can be applied to a growers forum, or a collectors forum, and other possibilities. We really do need to have an open and free flow of ideas and thoughts, and keep the machine running as smoothly as possible. Voting is the Boards responsibility, but one and all should be able to have a voice to present your ideas for consideration.

definately!

So who are the regional head growers, how were they agreed upon, and most importantly, what are their qualifications? I hate to say it but it seems that positions are give to people based on the crony system with little debate. It seems to me that positions as important as regional head grower would be given at least some though and debate rather than simple nominations which in most cases were self-nominations.

I was urged to voice my comments, questions, and opinions so don't knock me for doing so.

Since I am a regional head grower I thought I would reply. I realy don't think the crony system is being used. A call went out for volenteers and people reposnded. I'm sure these responses were looked at from the perspective of who the people are, how long have they been growing plants, reputation on the forums, etc. I will let Copper expand on this. It is hard to know people simply be thier postings on line without ever having met them in person but a reasonable evaluation can be made in most cases.

Please post any suggestions on how you think people should be selected or if you disagree with any selections. This whole concept is just getting off the ground and all input is welcome as long as it is constructive.

Thanks for your input.
Glenn

Comments are welcome and appreciated.  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hate to say it but it seems that positions are give to people based on the crony system with little debate.

What makes you say that?  I don't understand the comment.  Who is "giving" the positions out?  What crony system?  And what debate?

Every call for officers has been open and public.  Few stepped up to the plate.  Every board meeting has been posted publicly beforehand and open to the public.  Few have attended with the exception of the last meeting which was pretty well attended. Those who cared enough to attend voted on the nominations we had.  No new nominations were given.

When officers were nominated and voted on, anyone could have been nominated and anyone could have voted.  If you only have ONE nomination per office...and you have the same few attending the meetings, its kinda hard to call that cronyism.  Its more like lack-of-participationism.  I think it would have been great if we had had 3-4 nominations per Board office.  But we didn't have it.

But not to worry...at some point the time will run out on these officers and then a whole NEW board can be voted in.  
smile.gif
 Maybe by that time more people will be willing to shoulder some responsibility running a non-profit and we will get several nominations per position and we will have more than 15 people attending a meeting.

We have great support from the members as a whole, but as far as people willing to actually take an OFFICE and a position with responsibility...there have been few.  Other than the current officers, I'm not aware of anyone who wanted a position or anyone who had a person to nominate but didn't.  So I'm really not sure where the "cronyism" is coming from. ??

If you would like to nominate yourself for any of the positions still open, we'd welcome it.

And yes, the grower jobs have requirements that must be met...a certain number of years of experience, so someone who has only been growing CPs for 6 weeks would not be considered for a Grower position...and there is also an age limit to the offices (no younger than 18).

Unfortunately, if this group is to become a legal entity, we can no longer takes votes by opening polls on the forum and discussing it like we did in the "early days."  Anyone wishing to participate in decision making can post ideas and suggestions in this forum, send PMs or emails, and attend the monthly meetings.

We DO want member input because this project will take a "village" to accomplish.

Hmm. As far as the cronyism is concerned, it is not a favorite game of mine, and I don't play it, Waste of time. When I conceived of the idea of the NASC, the enthusiasm went through the roof, and we all had a darn good time. Now the work begins, and the party has gone somewhere else.The central core of those who believed in the concept, are still here. PS, you evidently weren't here for that. Too bad. Maybe if you had, that cronyism stuff would not be coming from you. I am glad I asked for your input though. It does help a lot to see how others just coming in may view us, and I thank you for that. An eye opener. However, I was hoping for more constructive suggestions from you. Just the same, it is good to know how others may view you, even though they don't know you. I do recall, you had a position here for an incredibly short time. You never explained yourself on that one either. Are you? You could help us, and keep us on our toes if you wanted, but no one knows how you feel, just the comments you have made so far. So be a part of, or don't. The invitation is still open whenever you wish to help out.

PoWeRPSUHort I asked people to step forward and to be Regional Head Grower.  I had to beg to get the last three.  You told me your qualifications and you supplied them.  I was happy to give you a position and did.  You then bebuked us for the Ivory Tower Syndrome.  Our position was explained.  this was your statement;

"Count me, plants, seeds, greenhouse, and bog space out of direct NASC membership.  I disagree with the division of board and member.  Factionization is the future i see for the NASC.  I am still open to donations to the NASC though, just not direct membership based on the current bylaws and positions of some.:( "

In this you resigned membership and thus Grower Status.   I have received comments from some that have now returned to the NASC that they are glad to see that the bickering is gone and the group is working so well together.  I have promised that I would not allow for bickering and disruption to start again.  There is no Ivory Tower, nor is there a Crony System.  Please stop being deterimental to this effort.  You are not a member of this corporation as you resigned from membership.  If you wish to become a member again you may request to be a member.  The board then shall vote on it.

As Pak has stated few members have come forward to take lead positions.  There is not discussion between us on how we can rule the rooste.  There is no money to be made for us and not fame to be gathered.  Please stop your accusation and trying to work the members up.  We are all friends here and we like it that way.  I cosider the newest members of the forum and the NASC to be friends.  So Friend please try to help and not hinder.

I remind the members of the NASC that the Corny comment is made by a non member.  I am hoping that the members are happy with our progress and will stay with us.  I would also like to thank the members that are stepping forward to help in the effort.

PS, I just read where you quit the NASC as fast as you joined it. Your beef was the division between Board members and the individual members. We came up with a solution and you still have issues. Since the division was handled, you now say cronyism. Very accusatory fellow. It seems no matter what, you will find something to complain about. Care to expand on this? You have been informed by PAK the cronyism does not exist. Votes were taken from those who cared to be there. Everything was done out in the open, and above board. I suggest you quit looking for things wrong that are only in the scenarios you seem to be making up in your mind. Instead of making problems, you should be helping to alleviate a problem, and THAT is the destruction of sarracenia habitat, and preservation of various genomes from various bogs. THAT is productive. Complaints about non-existant problems is counter productive, and unnecessary. Thanks for listening.

I'm one of the last minute regional head growers and I'll chime in to say that I think I understand what PoWeRPSUHort is thinking about cronyism in NASC.  For very similar reasons, I had decided during the original incarnation of NASC that I wouldn't have anything to do with it beyond contributing plants to auctions.  Getting a snotty reply once from our former friend Casper certainly helped make that decision.  But I have more trust in the new leadership and maybe a better understanding now of how an online organization has to operate.

What can look like a crony system in NASC isn't; it's really a small number of highly motivated people trying to get things done.  They communicate by PM or whatever and it's easy for those of us who are out of the loop to question what's really going on.  Even to suspect a crony system.  That's a fact of life NASC will have to deal with because we don't want to lose people who have something to contribute.  Even if some of what they contribute is criticism.

Nuance is lost when communicating this way and let's try to take all criticism as constructive criticism.

I am also one of the 'last minute' regional growers.  I PMd Rose and outlined my experience--over 14 years as a grower of Sarracenia, and many years beyond that as an experienced grower of perennials.  As an FYI, I have had no contact with Rose in the past.  She does not know me at all--so much for cronyism.  My reason for not wanting to participate in the NASC is quite different.  I was getting sick of what I believed were negative comments by some designed more to cast aspersions on people than to be truly helpful.  In my mind, this is quite different from constructive criticism, and use of words such as 'cronyism' are clearly pejorative and do not connote a desire to be helpful.  I think that it is entirely appropriate to question the experience and qualifications of growers; you did this quite well with your first sentence PoWeRPSUHort.  What followed is what has raised hackles.  And while it may be reasonable that people will 'suspect' things such as cronyism, putting it out in a public forum is not a way to gain cooperation.  Think about whether you would act this way in the work force, or in school, and what the results would be.  You can always question things in a mature manner.  This tactic gets answers rather than questions of what motivates such a confrontational attitude.

Maybe this will help him out.

My Experience: 43 years growing ALL forms of CP from every corner of the globe. I have good company, and my friends. My friends are:
Joe Mazrimas, co founder of the ICPS and the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter.
Carl Mazur, Current President of the ICPS.
Barry Rice, Conservation Officer of the ICPS. Funny guy, and very nice man. Enjoy his company.
Peter D'Amato, owner of California Carnivores, and Author of, "The Savage Garden".
Phil Faulisi, LONG time grower of sarracenia, and a whole lot more! Has the largest personal sarracenia collection I know of.
And if I keep this up, just about everyone on this forum. Our common goal, to raise and propagate carnivorous plants, and infect others with our obsession. And to argue POLITICS! (I love that part!) If having many friends is cronyism, well, maybe. But I still call them friends, and the ones that are members here have a vote to state their piece, and move their organization forward.
Incidently, we have the support and enthusiasm of all those friends named above, and if the ICPS backs us, and Barry Rice of that organization is kept in the loop, well, I think that deflates any other fears you should have. Otherwise, I would think anything else you have to accuse us of, is going to fall on deaf ears. Maybe you should read all the threads you can on our start, and what we hope to achieve, then maybe your cynicism will disappear. Now THAT would be nice. -------Or are you a crony of a bad attitude??

I'm sorry...I just HAVE to:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I remind the members of the NASC that the Corny comment is made by a non member.

LOL Rose, you are so corny!
smile_n_32.gif

Injecting a little levity here.
smile.gif
I think we have made a point and I hope that anyone who is thinking "cronyism" thinks about whether or not they themselves offered to take a position or nominated someone for a position. Pretty much what you see is ALL we got. I'm not aware of anyone being turned down for anything.

As we grow (no pun intended!), I'm sure we will have larger and larger pools from which to draw on help in all areas including the Board and Growers and Committees. For now...we have the few who are willing to put up with our learning the ins and out of this new experience. Stumble we surely will but we will get back up and keep going with renewed determination.

OK...anyone else have suggestions or concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back