What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SUGGESTION BOX!  Ideas Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry...one more thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They communicate by PM or whatever and it's easy for those of us who are out of the loop to question what's really going on.

Its true there is communication via PM/email on some issues. But we cannot zip our lips and ONLY discuss issues in public meetings which take place just once a month. We'd NEVER get things done. So during the time between meetings, Officers are taking care of any issues/assignments that came up during the meeting and communicating with the concerned parties. We will be having the Board minutes posted for all who missed the meeting to see.

If anyone has any questions about what is going on at any given time, just post to this forum and we'll give an update.

Personally I am working with Ozzy preparing documents for a plant rescue (hopefully). This includes a request letter and Permission to Collect and Liability Waiver forms, updating the NASC brochure, a photo ID card; all for presentation to a construction company in NC. Also working on membership forms and membership ID cards. And also I'm coordinating the seed collection for the Rhode Island ESCAPE conservation group.

Hey, that quote of mine looks bad out of context.  I said

"What can look like a crony system in NASC isn't; it's really a small number of highly motivated people trying to get things done.  They communicate by PM or whatever and it's easy for those of us who are out of the loop to question what's really going on.  Even to suspect a crony system."

The point is that those who are giving lots of time and energy to NASC are working together to get things done, but that it can leave some people suspecting a crony system.  After having gone the suspicious outsider route once myself, I think it's best to just chill out and ask how to help.

Communication via computer loses nuance, so constructive criticism can look like an accusation and a firm rebuttal easily becomes a personal attack.  Which, of course, is why it's much better to have a lot of the real work being done out of the public eye at this time.  If it actually is an ivory tower that you insiders are building, us outsiders can storm it later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Nov. 21 2005,11:43)]If it actually is an ivory tower that you insiders are building, us outsiders can storm it later.
I think I'll quote you out of context again just for the fun of it!! Can I help build that battery ram??

Sure.  It's much more exhilarating to attack the finished tower than to just kick around loose ivory and scaffolding during construction.

Hey I'm sorry Bruce. I didn't pull your quote because I thought it was a negative statement. I pulled that out because its TRUE that some communications go on "behind the scenes." I just wanted to make the point that that's not to keep "secrets" but because we have to ask questions and keep up with what everyone is doing.

I appreciate your comment about highly motivated people trying to get things done. We're certainly no ivory tower...just a group of people trying to make a little mud hut to start with.
laugh.gif
Personally I'd prefer a gilt tower or maybe even sterling silver. Ivory is a no-no.

Unless its soap! Then it is a sparkling clean tower.

KNOCK IT OFF!!!!! Your open friendliness must be cronyism! Shame! And a Happy Turkey Day to one and all! Whether you have cronies or not!!!!!

Alright, now that you have all had your fun, I will admit that my views of the ivory tower and the crony systems may have been misplaced, however, it took ALL of you posting here for me to finally understand who all of you are or at least claim to be. Many of you have very impressive growing records, though I will say that I am not impressed by name dropping; ONLY by personal accomplishments.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]to finally understand who all of you are or at least claim to be

I guess for most of us here, we are long-time TF forum members who all know each other. I don't
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]claim to be
anybody but a simple person who loves plants in general, grows CPs and has many other hobbies/interests. And someone who has an interest in preserving/protecting Sarracenia and any other North American CPs.
smile.gif
I'm definitely not any expert on Sarracenia and have never claimed to be.

If you think it would be helpful to new members, all the officers could post a little personal bio or something... although nominations/elections to offices had more to do with a willingness to work and try to accomplish this big task than any formal, extensive growing resumes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PoWeRPSUHort @ Nov. 23 2005,9:56)]claim to be
Napoleon Bonaparte!

I'm more like Napolean Dynamite!

Capslock

Nappy Cappy.
biggrin.gif

Geez - Sorry to have missed all the excitement! It's been horrible not to have been online for the past week or so, but the family and I were...touring...

The Citronelle Bogs
The Avalon Bogs
The Apalachicola Bogs
INCLUDING the VFT site and the red tube flava site...

Documented every southern species of Sarracenias in these areas, PLUS bunches of simple AND complex hybrids. AWESOME!!

This has been the trip of a lifetime, all in one week's time.

Thanks to those who shared their knowledge of these areas..you made a potentially dangerous multi-day trip with the family into a lifelong memory!

Good to be back online!

As for the Ivory Tower syndrome, I just want to know who Saruman is!!! LOL

All kidding aside, I was also one who had elected in the beginning not to be a part of the NASC. I felt this was something the motivated few were charging into, without sitting back and taking some time to determine the proper direction first.

It seems that things are MUCH more organized now, and that those who are in board positions are all concerned for the good of the organization AND the plants we so love AND their habitats. THIS is what brought me back, and gave me the motivation to accept a regional head grower position.

PS, you seem very motivated as well...perhaps you should contact the board and request to be a grower in your region? I'm sure we will need ALL the help we can muster in the future!

Wow...what a trip! Sounds awsome. I hope you got some great pics.
smile.gif

I just got back from Apalachicola as well. I will post pictures at a later date since I'm not using digital. Kind of late for pitcher viewing but still very cool. They should call the place Pinguicula National Forest. Almost steped on an aligator, that was fun.

Please post pictures if you have them.

Glenn

If we have room a gallery area would be nice.

I was reading in the Last post about a meeting, saying that their should be locations of Bogs on a map?

I find this repulsing. Their are pleanty of people who are senceless enough to go out and poach plants. Unless this map is distributed to only The members of that Metting(sorry i dont rember the name) I just wondering cause... yea i dont feel right knowing that that kind of information is givin out freely to any one. (maybe i didint read enough, if so im sorry for my actions)

cheers

Always best to be sure of your information before you put your foot in your mouth.

Bog locations will not be public information for the reason you site. As far as our members who must know of the locations, ie conservancy collectors, growers, they will be signing a privacy disclosure. We do not want poaching. It is against what we stand for, returning the plants to wild stands.

I'll reiterate what Copper has stated here. The LAST thing we want is for poaching of ANY kind to occur. It is hoped that the efforts of the NASC will reduce, if not eliminate, the profitability of poaching.

I can't say that I recall anything being mentioned about a map with bog locations on it, but I can ASSURE you that location information will not be disclosed to anyone who doesn't have to have it. In fact, a coding system has been developed, so that plants from each location can be grown without that grower having to know the exact location it comes from.

Rest assured that this will be done in as confidential a manner as is possible.

Regards,

Mike Howlett
NASC National Head Grower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back