What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Sarracenia I've rescued

Here's some pics of some Sarracenia that have been rescued from oilfield sites. Tell me what you think.

These came from Kiln Mississippi
KilnMississippialata005.jpg

This is the red form with some Mobile bay in the background.
KilnMississippialata008.jpg

These are refugees from Mobile Bay. Actually Theodore Alabama.

TUBBOG001.jpg

Here's another clump from Theodore Alabama
KilnMississippialata007.jpg

Excuse me for asking, but what were they rescued from?

They were rescued from this nosy guy named Ozzy who can't mind his own business. But that's all right. That's what conservation managers are for. I know this one!! Where this man works, he builds oil rigs. In Kiln, Mississippi, they had a site they were going to moonscape, killing these plants. He asked verbal permission, and the landowner told him he could collect all the "weeds" he wanted. I thought that would be good enough for anyone. As for the Theodore, Alabama plants, they were a gift to him by a friend. Any questions??? Yes! You there! In the back! No, not you! The ugly one! Ozzy! LOLOL!!!! And he will learn the rules of collecting since he always works where they grow. Wherever he encounters a moonscape situation, and these plants are threatened, I told him what to do. I think Boglodyte should be commended for his action on these plants. He just needs to upgrade to written permission via NASC forms. Where are they??

Ok Boglodyte, Bugweed got you off the hook, but I'm watchimg you. I'll let you live this time. When the man in the big brown truck drops off that package, just take it in the woods, cut the packaging take and let them all crawl away.

And where did you rescue those vft's from? I guess I was wrong when I said that every cp should be saved.

The Kiln Mississippi plants were taken from an oilfield construction site. There was also D. capillaris there. I never could see any pings though I looked. The Moble Bay plants were left on my doorstep, literly, by a friend who was admiring my CP collection, (nursery bought mind you), and thought he'd help me out by bringing me some that he "found" in Theodore Alabama. Needless to say, I scolded him good and told him not to be digging up any more Sarracenia! His feelings were hurt until I told him he could get life in prison for poaching endangered species! I know, I lied! But I bet he dosen't dig up any more plants! By the way, I played Bass Guitar in an Ozzy tribute band one time. The guy who left the plants was the drummer! The VFTs were rescued from Wal-Mart, Cook's, Sarracenia Northwest, and Lowe's. Mostly Cook's though!

OOOPPS! I forgot *online retailer* Is where I rescued three of them from!
smile_n_32.gif

Yes rescuing vft's fromstores is my favorite! lol

how come the majority of the CP people play bass?
laugh.gif

Actually I play guitar, but the guys were in a bind for a bass player so I stepped up to the plate. Good thing I had that experiance under my belt, some of those Ozzy songs will give you quite a workout! I might go on a VFT hunt today!

Take a elephant gun. Those VFT have big teeth I hear...

It was a hard struggle but I subdued it and got it home!
biggrin.gif

Ozzy was correct in asking though.  If you would like to donate them to the NASC you can do that.  If you would like to rescue in our name when can fix it so that you can do that as well, but there will be forms to fill out.  Now that we are going non-profit we need paperwork done to cover all the bases.  

I know that one very large non-profit is about to have a large problem because on of its subsidiaries gave out money for a lawyer without any paperwork done at all and no history paperwork with the client.  This is going to get ugly with people being let go and lots of fines.

Another guitar player - we are going to have quite a band going.

I can dig that! I'm supposed to be having some forms mailed to me as we speak. I need to backtrack and see if I can come up with the work order that we were given for the Kiln, MS. job. It would have info right down to the township and range of the place where the plants were. I am willing to fill out anything I have to. You wouldn't believe the oppertuniyies that come my way in the oilfield! I don't know what the connection is between wetlands and oil, but if there's one around, they'll put a rig in the middle of it! There was one site close to Waynesboro, Ms., where they drilled in the middle of a national forest, in a bog, teeming with S.alata and D. brevifolia. No rescues there though. The park rangers wouldn't allow it. Made no sense to me what-so-ever! I even told them how precious those plants were!
mad.gif

Back