What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Access Website about NASC

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
HI

I've been trying to view the link appearing on the bottom of the auction pages:

Secure the future of Sarracenia: It takes a community to make a difference. Join NASC! www.nasarracenia.com

Just so someone knows, people can check you out and maybe even join if we can't access this website. I even called comcast (my isp) tonight. Their technician tried the link www.nasarracenia.com

and got a page saying that it couldn't be viewed toooooo.

Someone needs to fix this problem. I was looking for more information on this organization.

Diana Pederson

Yeah... Me neither.

I always blame my computer first because I just switched to the new Windows VISTA. But when comcast can't get through either, there has to be something else wrong.

Hi

Thank you for letting us know. We will check into it. Could be the site is down for some reason.

But I am moving this topic out of the auction.

-PAK

Yeah...I was just getting ready to say that. lol I'm sorry...I DO know the web addy. I just type .com sometimes out of habit. Too many dot coms out there.

Sorry for the confusion there.

www.nasarracenia.org

Thank you! Do you take "beginners" as members. I don't have any right now due to health problems. Am just studying which plants to get to begin rebuilding my collection.
$10/year is very reasonable membership. Do we get newsletter or something?

Thank you! Do you take "beginners" as members. I don't have any right now due to health problems. Am just studying which plants to get to begin rebuilding my collection.
$10/year is very reasonable membership. Do we get newsletter or something?

We take everybody as members. Your capacity as member can mean a number of different things.

Some people have a lot of growing experience. Through the membership sign up form, members let us know what type of experience they have and if they would be available for potential growing tasks.

But not everyone has the experience or room to do that sort of thing. Other ways that you can help out the NASC are by signing up and
  • Being an educator. Several Board members (myself included) actively talk to people and get the word out in an educational setting. I have talked to classes from 5th grade to college level. We have pamphlets available, and we will have more education materials in the future.
  • Being available for rescues. People who are geographically "available" can let the NASC know that they'd be interested in helping in potential rescues or other actions that require the help of volunteers.
  • Showing your support. Even if you are completely new to the hobby you can help our the NASC by showing your support by becoming a member, participating in the auction, making donations, volunteering time, contacting representetives when sites are in danger, giving us helpful suggestions, and being our eyes and ears!
  • Many other ways- all types of members are vital.

Also, there is a newsletter that our PR/Education Head undertakes. Our first and latest issue can be found here

Hmmm. I am a former teacher. I'm also an online book reviewer. Have been reviewing garden books and Christian literature for 10 years online this year.

Here is an example: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art48971.asp It is also now published at my personal website: http://obsessivegardening.com/bookreviews/pitcherplants.html

Might someone with these skills be useful as an "educator". I've already educated the Greater Lansing Garden Club (part of the national organization) by publishing this review in their newsletter.

I loved your first newsletter. Am looking for membership form. Do you take paypal yet? It makes it easier to get those "spur of the moment" members that just might forget about their intention to join.

Diana

Diana, I received your email and I will do my best to make a new topic ASAP; I've got a graduation to attend today but I'll do my best, thanks for the email. :)

The membership form can be found on the "join" page of the NASC website; here is a link. I won't link the form directly because things have been updated lately (and may continue to be updated to reflect changes and corrections) and the name may change along with it, so I don't want to point you to an old form.

The form is really simple and just needs to be sent to the address located in the middle of the form. Dues/donations can be sent by check to the address on the form and Paypal IS available; the address is on the form (NASCbank@earthlink.net).

In the future, we plan on making the membership form digital as well, but for now the form needs to be printed out and sent to the address (Dave is our treasurer, so your money goes directly in to his hands so your checks aren't floating around in limbo somewhere.)

We've got some resources that are not up on the site yet but should be soon (EG pamphlets.) As you can see, there still a lot of work to be done, but the Board is full of some great, motivated people and we're really moving things along. As more of us get comfortable with updating the website it'll be more fully fleshed out.

Thanks for your interest and great questions.

--Jonathan Treffkorn, NASC Secretary

Just to let you know: I sent my membership fee via paypal a few minutes ago. Also sent answers to membership application questions to same address.

I've asked him to acknowledge my payment and email so I know he received it okay.

Hi Diana -

I believe that David Schloat, our NASC Treasurer, mentioned you were a new member at our weekly meeting last Thursday, so WELCOME! This is going to be a busy year for the NASC, and we have multiple projects going on right now. I hope you will find an area that suits your fancy, and that you will offer some of your time to help the NASC grow - in more ways than one!

Good Growing,

Mike

Back