What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Seed Bank

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Good evening,

It is my pleasure to announce the opening of the North American Sarracenia Conservancy Seed Bank. One of the many benefits of being a member of NASC is access to NASC coded, location specific Sarracenia seed. At this moment, there are approximately 12,000 Sarracenia seeds in the NASC Seed Bank.

The seed bank will provide Sarracenia seed for:
  • General members in good standing of the NASC; and,
  • Educational purposes, with proper documentation of intended learning outcomes and goals.

A few general comments about requesting seed:
  • A NASC member may request up to ten packets each membership year;
  • A NASC member may request up to two packets of any specific Sarracenia population during each membership year;
  • Each seed packet will contain approximately 40 Sarracenia seeds; and,
  • The Seed Bank will hold in reserve 5 packets from each Sarracenia population for Growing Committee purposes.

For the complete NASC Distribution Committee Policies and Procedures, click here.

All seeds were collected in accordance to North American Sarracenia Conservancy and International Carnivorous Plant Society policies.

The Seed Bank will continue to grow every year as more seed is harvested from the NASC collection in the hands of the Growing Committee members.

Please visit the NASC Seed Bank for more information and the current inventory.

If you have any questions or comments about this process, please let me know.

J.C. Stoner, NASC Head of Distribution

Last edited:
Nice..... i'll donate some seed once my sarracenia's old enough to make seed... i dont really have a mature sarracenia yet. but its still cool.

Dear upper,

While we appreciate your wanting to donate, the NASC Seed Bank contains only NASC coded populations. These seeds were either wild collected (with permission of the land owners) or by the careful pollination from Sarracenia in the NASC Growing Program. The goal of the Growing Program and the seed bank is continue to preserve the unique genetic diversity of wild Sarracenia populations, with hopes of reintroducing them to the area from which they originally came.

In order to continue that mission, the NASC Seed Bank only has seed collected in the manner described above and not hybrid and species seed horticulturally made by growers. However, there was some discussion by the Board about creating a NASC Seed Bank with a supplemental Sarracenia seed bank. It is possible in the future for the scope of the seed bank to grow and expand; but, at this time, we are focusing our attention on the mission of NASC while we continue to grow as an organization.

xvart.

nvm :)

Outdated information deleted to avoid confusion.

J.C. Stoner, NASC Head of Distribution.

Last edited:
County location data is now available (except for federally endangered species) on the updated inventory. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

J.C. Stoner, NASC Head of Distribution.

The seed bank inventory has been updated (9/4/08) to reflect recent membership requests. Please note that I do not create forum posts for every change to the seed bank; however, the date and link in my signature will be up to date and accurate at all times.

NASC Seed Bank Inventory

xvart.

i should have Leucophyla flowering in spring what do i do then ??
i can bring the plant to you if you are still in close proximity

i should have Leucophyla flowering in spring what do i do then ??
i can bring the plant to you if you are still in close proximity

Hi Daren,

The only seed that NASC keeps is specific location seed crossed with the same location, to maintain the genetic diversity of plants. Thanks for the offer, but NASC doesn't store seed in the seed bank unless it has a specific NASC code. There has been some discussion of creating a general Sarracenia seed bank, but if that develops, it won't be for a while.

Thanks again,

xvart.

Back