Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. National Sarracenia Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a big first step would be to find a home for such a collection.

Mike King has mentioned the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Has anyone broached this possibility with Ron Gagliardo yet?

Emails demonstrating support should be sent to Carl Mazur (anyone have that addy?). ICPS involvement and sanction would certainly be desirable, as would the support of the community leaders.

Bugweed, is there any chance of getting Don Schnell to write a statement as to his support of this work?

Dedicated growers of these plants are already working at reproducing and distributing the more rare forms. Would a concerted TC effort be acceptable to mass produce this material?

Where would the funding needed to maintain a National Collection come from? The ICPS uses private subscription to support their efforts. Would this be a viable option for a national colection?

Is there anyway to get an idea of the annual cost involved in maintaining such a collection? Mike, can you give some idea of what it costs you to keep your collection going? If we have some idea of what we need in terms of funding we can then go about figuring how to obtain that money.

Anyone know of any large growers of Sarracenia? If so, please alert them to this post. I suggest that we try to formulate a list of what species and forms are out there in current cultivation, as well as what forms are yet to enter cultivation.

Once we can get some presence and interest in this concept, we can take the first steps which should be the nomination and election of officers, and begin to form committees.

Please work to inform interested parties, and bring this post to their attention.

I would like to form a poll to assess how many forum members are willing to back this project. We need a head count, and then we need to work to increase that count. Does anyone know how to make a poll? The question is "Would you personally support the formation of a National Sarracenia Collection?" Just that for now. If this can be done, please effect this and add it to this thread.

This is where YOU come in! Spread the word and let's get this going. We need to be able to demonstrate a statistical presence. I believe that Forum Members here have demonstrated the success of generosity and sharing. Now lets put our lessons to good use on a far larger scale and sweat a little to create a safe haven and ethical means for preserving, increasing and spreading these plants.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all of you, Carl Mazurs address through CPN:carl@carnivorous plants.org. And don't forget, Barry Rice, barry@carnivorousplants.org. Since Carl is already aware of what the plan is, Barry needs to be brought up to speed on this issue. Both need to know that we are ready, willing, and able to support this project, and work it 'til completion. There is something for everyone in this Forum to do, even if it is only to write in favor of it, or to contact your CP growing friends and ask them to find out where to send their seeds or location species plants. ABG is Carls first objective and is talking to Ron Determann about this. I would think Barry Rice could open his campus greenhouse doors at UC Davis to help this worthy project. They have the facilities for it, as does ABG. Maybe we could ask Fullerton Aarboretum at Cal State Fullerton for space as well. Since they were the original home of the ICPS, they can help, too. Longwood Botanical Garden is another. We can get the space we need I am sure. Start thinking together everyone, the time has come to save the plants, they may be gone to us forever if we do not act swiftly!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry is a member of this forum so my guess is he will see it soon enough [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great idea, and you have my utmost support.

I think the first thing we should do is to get organized.

I am willing to help in any way possible. I can donate an entire room in my home to these plants, as well contribute both time and money to the project.

I live in the south, so I can help with the preservation of the species in there natural environment, as well as documentation.

This is an excellent idea, and we should put our heads together and get it rolling as soon as possible.

Casper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Organization is our first task, but even more important is assembely. My first directive as acting president pro-tem is for interested parties willing to help and are willing to act, to contact 5 other members and have them show their support on this thread.

Undestand that this need workers, and I will call on you to do real work. Our motto is "You don't have time to be busy".

So far I have appointed 2 Committees and Comissioners. These are Outreach and Contact, Facts and Advisement.

I am seeking a dedicated Secretary Pro-tem who has good coordination skills, and a dedicated congressional "Whip" to sontact potential members, inform others of meetings. If you feel you have these skills and/or are willing to accept direction and dictation, please contact me at tamlindd@yahoo.com

I am urgently seeking a source for Rogert's Rules of Order. Once there is an assembeled interest, we can begin parlimentary meetings, hold true elections, confirm appointments and form our Congress.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a lot if enthusiasm for such a collection. One cautionary note: The record keeping on genetics and source information on the specimens must be through and immaculate. It would be interesting to see some examples of the type of record that Mike King maintains for each plant in addition to that shown on his Web page at
    http://www.mikeking64.pwp.blueyonder...r/growlist.htm

Another issue is where to obtain the plants for this U.S. National Collection. Note that many of those listed in the NCCPG National collection are either wild collected plants or wild collected seed.

A potentially serious problem in accepting plant material from private collections is in verifying where that material originated. If it has been passed from grower to grower, the labels might have become poorly preserved.

A National Collection should be a serious and authoritative undertaking and not just an accumulation of a bunch of mongrel hybrids of unknown parentage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AYE! I'm in! can i be the first to sign my "john hancock" ? my names john [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    although i dont have too many plants, i have sarracneia rubra ssp alabamensis, location chilton co. alabama, and sarracenia rubra ssp jonesii. i could help out a little bit [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said "Aye" in the first thread and I say "AYE" again!!! Count me in. How can I help?

Lets not forget habatat prservation as well.

Glenn

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast