Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. National Sarracenia Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AYE!

Finally, I've been trying to think of a way of getting something like this started for a while now, but I'm not nearly experienced enough to have much influence alone in the comunity. I am proticularly concerned about the S. Purpurea of MI because we have an incredably diverse range of phenotypes living hear. And as the Northern Varient, few made there way into cultivation before feild collection was compleatly banned.

I was plaining on prosueing permission to collect from a privet bog near by with the hopes of adding one new gene set to the pool that has proper identification and collection data, but if we are able to get this going, it would be much easier to get permission and I would feel better sending some plants and or seeds too a central location for intence propigation.

If we are able to do this onetime collection to help preserve the biodiversity of these plants, I will be more then happy to dedicate my time and skills to both careing for a portion of the collection if needed, and to going into the feild to gather scientific data on plants of each population and if asked, collect these plants to send to the propigators. I am very close to many local bogs, inclueding a privetly owned bog that is the only one of it's kind (based on species living together) left. If we can start getting promission to collect from publicly owned bogs the number of unque sites in the area seem almost endless, although each is very small, extrodenarly hard to reach and dwindeling.

I also know of several locations that the purples onced thrived in that some how have moved off the general radar. With such a large effort in place, it would be much easier for me to contact the current owners of the land in these locations as I would have a legidiment reason for wanting to wander through there back 40 other then to just look at plants while possibly killing myself in the bog, lol.

So yah! I'm all for it. AYE! and whatnot. Lets get a representive for these little guys to safety!
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll help any way I can too. Too bad I'm no longer in Maine, surrounded by a wealth of bogs full of S. purpureas, but at least I can grow the their taller cousins here in CT. Or do whatever else would help. Bruce
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few thoughts.

Habitat preservation is important!!!

I think we need to get the ICPS to weigh in on this subject.

Seed collection should be the focus not plant collection. Ethical guidelines must be established and adhered to. The established scientific comunity or some such group should be the collectors of the seed for distribution to growers. We can't have a bunch of people raiding bogs.

This is an excelent idea but must be implemented carefully and thoughtfully. Its a good thing Tamlin is heading this up.

I am glad to see this topic taking off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Ether seed or a few plants. We shold not take so much that it might harm the populations from witch they are collected, seed or plants.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn and all, I have already talked to Carl Mazur on this plan months ago. He is writing a proposal for the ICPS Board for consideration. Carl Mazur as most know is the ICPS President. I am also trying to get him on to this Forum to see the positive reactions of all of you, the CP growers, to this idea. Stewardship is another form of Conservation, and every grower who really wants to do something to preserve the plants, and then fight for their habitats, is more than welcome to put in their thoughts. I have to talk to Don Schnell next, as he is a brilliant man with many good ideas, and I will talk to him. Keep thinking!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some problems with a seed based collection protocol that may or may not be transcended based on the fact that the plants introgress so easily. This will need to be discussed amongst those more familiar with the genetics regarding this genus.

And YES, certainly habitat preservation remains important, but this issue is beyond our current scope and is being addressed by more concerted conservancy action than we can hope to generate.

Some current questions that need decided answers asap will include:

Where will this collection be based (critical because applications for a non-profit organization need to be considered relative to the legalities of that State), who will do the collecting (and this needs to be done by those who are intimate with the populations and the impact this will have), who will do the cultivation and reproduction, where will funds come from.

Right now I am still looking for a listing of who's who in Sarracenia: without this list we cannot begin to assess the needs of our Outreach committee.

A similar list is needed of US commercial dealers involved with the sale of Sarracenia: if anyone wishes to begin this compilation, message me.

Another list is needed of possible funding sources for this sort of effort. If anyone has such a list or can generate it through research, this will ultimately be needed.

I am looking for someone to contact the various CP Societies, as well as send a personal appeal to our members in foreign countries. We want all the support we can muster. If you are willing to work on this project, message me.

Bugweed, see if you can corner Don into writing some formal declaration of support, and secure his permission to use such statements in public posts and publications. You must convince him to step out of retirement, and please set some flame under Carl regarding the ICPS proposal. The fact that Carl is ICPS President is of critical value.

I, too,would like very much to hear Barry's thoughts, pro or con on this subject.

I would also like to see the discussion broached on the various world cp forums and opened on the Listserve. The Listserve is sure to draw FLAME down on whomever broaches the topic, but sooner or later it needs to be done. Listserve members, keep an eye on the posts, and STAND UP and be counted if the topic gets "warm". Don't let the voiceferous few dominate the discussion - make your presence felt but please be polite.

Above all, maintain your enthusiasm and focus. This is a long hard road we are on and there are mountains we can't even see yet that must be climbed.

We need very much to draw in some serious support from the scientific community and I hope ICPS support, but I warn you, this is a HOT topic because it involves field collection. I think the issue of ethical collection has been adequately discussed and remains "grey". There is something to say on both sides of the equation, but my contention is that former "sit back and wait" attitudes are not working. Possible tools to assist in convincing the ICPS might be a petition letter signed by Society members in favor of this collection, which could be circulated amongst the various forums and CP socieites worldwide seeking support for this sort of conservancy.

By all means keep thinking, and please start doing as well.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think...

t is better to have tried and failed...than to have never tried at all.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see so many people wanting to support this scheme. Just a few things whats going on here:

The National collection scheme is run by an official governing body www.nccpg.com for all genera of cultivated plants. This is a UK based operation and it would be great if something similar happens in the USA. To qualify, one must have 75% of the RHS plants finder list (link on the above mnentioned site). What is important to the conservation is having genetic variation (6 or more individuals from a site is desirable). The bulk of the wild stock here was from Alan Hindle who brought in a lot of rare Sarracenias in the 1980s/90s and basically had plants derived from divisions from that stock. The only snag there is those were selected plants and not neccessarilly the 'average' plant from that area, Thats why some seed collection (sparingly!) is important as that has enough variability to cover must of the gene pools.
    Every individual different clone gets a unique code with if available other peoples' code numbers as a cross reference. Obviously cultivars are listed and checked to see if they are genuine if the plant was.

There are now 650 different individuals here which is still being added too. All participants must have a 'master list' to refer to and make a similar cross referencing. But with someone on the scale like Phil Sheridan or ABG would ultimately lead to 1,000s of codes.. one must be practical about it..

I would be happy to discuss this further..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast