Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. National Sarracenia Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay,

In the waste bin?!!! Come on, you don't really mean that! Everything else in your post supports everything that the Sarracenia First National Democratic Collection wishes to produce, and agrees with it except for that comment!

But what you, or Brooks, or Bugweed, or Mr. Mazur need to realize is that personal and individual opinion, no matter how well intentioned, is not democratic. You can't simply brush off opinions not in conformity with personal agenda if you really wish to give birth to a National Collection.

Nor does there of necessity need be ONE such collection. My personal opinion is that there should not be.

The "Sarracenia Firster's" are willing to accomodate and help other interests and ventures I think, but are not willing to abandon their own venture, as has been demonstrated by the refusal of my request to "stand down". So, without apology, their concepts will be explored, and not abandoned in leiu of some real or imagined "better plan" - especially if they have not been informed as to its nature.

If you, or Mr. Mazur or any officers of the ICPS choose to pursue a National Collection, that is well and good by all of us I think. That this assembly wishes to proceed with their concept is also well and good, but we will proceed in a democratic and open manner via public forum and public consensus: not as a result of meetings by the few who feel they know best behind closed doors!

This option of discussion is available to the ICPS, officers and members, Mr. Mazur and *any* interested party. This is an open discussion. If it is felt that a bunch of raggle taggle growers have no business doing this work, that is likewise opinion only, and will not affect those who wish to unite and work to realize their goals in a DEMOCRATIC manner.

Those who wish to stand up and be counted, to offer their own voice to the voices raised here are welcome. But if they do not stand up and come forth, they will not be counted. Any action from my Presidency will be by majority decision, provided I am elected to the office.

Thank YOU for your input, which I value and regard in NO WAY as a waste of Disc Space. Matters like this are what public Forum should be about, and we are fortunate to have such a great potential tool at our service. Lets use it to make our visions both accessible and available for ALL to consider, discuss, and decide upon.

As a past President of the ICPS, you have the skills to preside over this assembly. Please consider seeking the office of President if you feel your skills can direct the course of this assembly in a democratic fashion. That such direction is needed is evident. Present a platform to this assembly based on your feelings and inclinations, and let the majority rule.

I have no personal opinion regarding this collection, apart from an insistance that it remain democratic, and will gladly serve any administration willing to address these issues based on majority rule.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Jay. Your past skills may be needed for this. We are tired of not being heard, and ignored with flippant remarks just because one or two people don't agree with this idea. I think it is a matter of not wanting to lose "power". There is only one power, and last time I looked, He hadn't given it to any one man, or woman. The plants and their preservation is the only power I need. The ICPS dropped the ball a long time ago when they became exclusive to themselves, and shut the members out. If Mike King and his fellows can do this and keep it "right" and viable, then we should take that example of what growers can do, and do it. We can be taught to keep proper records, we are not idiots, and can be taught how to handle all the pollination, seed distribution, cultivating, Flowerhead bagging, all of it, and do it together so that we are all on the same page, everyone prepared to do there best. I still want all the comments you can give me.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay,

In case I misunderstood your comment, my apology. Some members have interpeted your "waste bin" comment as referring to Mr. Mazur's letter, not our proposal.

If you are willing to help Joe Wannaplant, I am your man. I feel that the time for fence sitting is done.

I nominate jlechtm (Jay) for the office of President of The Sarracenia First National Democratic Collection. Will you accept the nomination?

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

So, Jay, I guess itís not clear just which post you think should be in the wastebin. You also speak of your frustration with the way things are at present? Your words seem very much in support of the way most people on this thread are leaning. Perhaps you have some very good ideas you havenít yet shared. I, also, would very much like to hear what else you think of this topic & how these concerns might be answered. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    Oh, yeah & I would like to give credit to finch who first said, 'hey, where is everyone?'
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize we were to nominate others as well. May I nominate SarraceniaObsessed, otherwise known as Brooks as a good candidate for presidency? I know he's a Sarr expert and believe he would be a good nominee.

SF [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nomination of Brooks has been made. Please inform him of this, and ask for his public acceptance or refusal of the nomination.

The chair also waits for Jay's public acceptance or refusal.

Unless there is a motion to the contrary, this call for nominations will remain in effect for a week: longer if the assembly feels it is needed.

Are there any more nominations for the Office of President of the Sarracenia First National Democratic Collection?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks is at a Flower Show in South Georgia at present. I will try to forward the nomination to him. I think we have three excellent candidates so far.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was Groucho Marks who said that he wouldn't belong to any club that would have him as a member .... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

First of all, for clarity's sake ... I only meant that my own comments may belong in the wastebin. I wasn't referring to anyone's feelings but my own.

I am well and truly on the fence. I recognize the value that ICPS sanction (if not participation) could bring to this endeavor. I also know that there are factions within the ICPS who believe that the average grower isn't worthy of much -- if any -- participation in the advancement of the knowledge of these plants. That faction has always frustrated me -- both within and without the ICPS. It is also true that the ICPS can be glacially slow, but not necessarily for the reason you assume. In my experience, it was slow (often paralyzed) because it, too, sought consensus, or at the very least, an active champion for a good idea. It was always much easier to say "I think we should do this" than to find the one who would actually do it.

So, while I appreciate the nod, I have to decline the nomination. In my experience, Tamlin has the passion, the exactitude and the critical people skills necessary to pull this off, if indeed there is any "off" to pull.

I am happy to help as I can. I am happy to contribute plants and growing space and attention to a national collection. I think it's a worthy goal.

And it's my own personal goal to have a collection that's accessible to hobbyists like myself, rather than held exclusively behind he gates of "official" repositories.

Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast