What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. National Sarracenia Collection

Hello all,

I'm terrible at growing most carnivorous plants, so I'm afraid I can't make much of a contribution there, and my time is pretty limited, too. But I'm willing to develop software if it is needed.
I could write software that tracks who has what plants, or anything that needs to be managed that can be done by set rules. If anyone has any suggestions or needs, let me know.

Thanks,
Pat

Fellow CPers,
I am sorry for the delay in responding to the most gracious nomination. Thank you SF! I have in my own small way been promoting to the public the plight of Sarracenia bogs in the South by means of an exhibit titled, "Picture this: Sarracenia bogs, a disappearing moment in an ancient Southern landscape" which I have just completed at the Southeastern Flower Show. The show opens to the public on Wed. I will try and post photos.

I have given this nomination a good deal of thought and have been trying to keep up with this thread. Having run my own company for a number of years, I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, organization is not my strong suit and at the level that this undertaking will require it, I just don't feel I have what it requires to lead this group. Having said that, I do have other strong qualifications that will enable me to be of help in other areas and in those ways I am more than happy to serve. I am honored but, I most respectfully decline.

Ways I can help:
1. Since I am close to Sarracenias natural range and I seem to be a darn good grower, I am willing to grow at my expense some of the materials to be distributed. We will have to work out shipping later.
2.My entire collection is at the disposal of the National Collection.
3. I am willing to do necessary field work when and if required.

Brooks Garcia, Atlanta

Wow, go to work for a couple of days and you have a lot to catch up on.

I have been gone a extended weekend, ind tought the topic was dead!

Boy was i wrong

Id better make this quick, im late for class

Uh i support the whole idea, all it stands for and am still wilinning to help on anyway i can

I nominate Tamlin Dawnstar for presedent because hes done such a good job so far.

I got 1 minut to get to class. Gotta run!

To All: Tamlin has dropped his nomination, leaving me standing alone. Anyone else want to take the reins? There is a lot happening, and I think we need to form a group of fact collectors to test the limit of our limitations per the law, and what we can do to work with it, and not against it. Everything above board, and documented is what we are striving for. Anyone else?

Bugweed,

Although I will be in short supply for an extended time, you are not standing alone. I will be long away from TF, but should you require financial backing I will donate my entire CP collection for auction to raise funds to support your effort. Every last plant.

IMO, you need to work in committee. Consider starting separate threads to deal with individual issues like:

What is currently out there by way of material

Legal issues relative to field collection

Ethical issues related to field collection

Seed bank possibilities

A home for this collection

Funding possibilities

Troubleshooting

By breaking it down into focused groups and appointing those with common interest to these groups, or committees, you will enable all to have a voice. Once the issues are fully explored, a report can be made, discussed with the assembly, and voted on.

Discussing everything on one thread will result in a volume of posts difficult for review and things will bog down.

I will be limited to snail mail communication for a couple of months at least, and will be standing down as a Moderator here, but if I can help my address is:

William Dawnstar
42 East Oneida Street
Oswego, NY 13126

Hi all,well I,ve been waiting for something good to post on,and just want to say I'll help any way I can

How long do we wait for other nominations?  I think we should set a deadline, otherwise we might be waiting a LONNGGG time.  

SF

Edit: Welcome, God's Garden! Don't be afraid to jump in and post!

If this is truely going to get off the ground. A seperate website or a forum dedicated exclusively to this subject will be required. This project will take a lot of input from the CP community. Also it should all be done in the open so that we all can comment, although this will slow things down!

Is there anyone out there who has started a non-profit organization? Thats who we need. There will be plenty of paper work and legalease required to do this the right way.

At this point the President only needs to be a well organized person whith lots of time. The initail phase of this project will be research, research and then some more research.

Hi,

Regarding staring a whole new forum for this project. Can we not just use the Conservation Station, provided by Terraforums? What needs do we have that this section cannot provide?

Thank you,
Pat

if you all want a subcategory for the discussion of this project, let me know and I can set it up for you.

-Phil

Sounds good to me. How does everyone feel about that?

I believe that a subcategory would be very helpful.

I am again checking into the 160 acres of swamp land
wink.gif

Still looking for nominations for Chairman/President. Speak up!!

Glenn, I have been working hard on organizing the paper work for starting a non-profit. I sent a few things off to my company’s attorney yesterday for review. For now, we need to pick a state to base the Society out of. Now choosing a State is nothing more than paperwork. No one needs to reside in the state, or even file paperwork by hand.

My vote is for the state of Delaware. The cost of incorp. is the cheapest in the country. Furthermore, Delaware maintains a separate corporate law court system, called the Delaware Court of Chancery, that does not use juries, but only uses judges appointed for their knowledge of corporate law. This means, should something actually happen such as a lawsuit, that you don't have a jury of un-educated (as far as business law goes) people deciding your fate. Chances are, if you followed the letter of the law, you are safe. Anyone in business knows, that if you go before a jury, even if you did everything absolutely by the book, you still have a decent chance to lose. I feel this is a very important item to consider.

Also, you don't have to list the names of the officers on the forms of incorporation in Delaware. This means a whole lot less paperwork when there are position changes. (I.E. a new secretary is elected etc...)

The costs of incorporation vary. Depending on where and how fast we want it done. I have already come up with a few ways to raise some funds for this task and I am trying to work with all parties involved at present.

I too believe a subcategory would be very helpful. Thanks Phil!

SF

One of the sub catagories I am most interested in is for people who are currently growing the "pure" sarrs with well kept record,and willing to support
the monumental under taking.I feel we definatly need to find all resources currently at our disposal before a plan of collection is preposed.Delaware dose seem be the best base from what I've read,of course my preception my be scewered I AM from Houston{(Think ENRON:angry: NEVER BEEN AN EMPLOYE)

Wouldnt a place where we can grow many plants outside rether than inside be a better choice?

as for Chairman/President i nominate
bugweed

Finch,

I believe the state is only a choice of where to base this organization so that the paperwork is easiest. This will qualify us for being a NPO and other legal stuff. The plants will still be grown (I think) by stewards wherever they happen to live. Also, I believe Bugweed has already been nominated (meaning chosen to run for President). We haven't actually gotten to voting yet, but we should soon (*hint hint, guys*!).

SF
smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions from the moderators about subcatagories. Once this kicks into high gear we my need subcatagories for each of the areas Tamlin suggested in his post. I was just thinking it would be easier to keep track of things if they were more organized.

If the a non-profit is formed in Delaware, do you have to have your organization located there? Can you incorporate in a State but have your operations elswhere?

Does anyone have experience drafting a business plan? I think that would be step one.

Back