What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Sarracenia Collection Project

National Sarracenia Collection Project - EVERYONE..Vote your opinions and support

• No, I do not support a U.S. National Sarracenia Collection.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I support the idea but in spirit only.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, I support the project...I'd like to have a task/project assigned to me.

• Yes, I support the project...I'd like to help the cause financially

• Yes, I support the project...I'd like to donate a service and/or my skills to the cause.

• Yes, I support the project...I'd like to donate equipment or work space to the cause.

• Yes, I support the project...I can offer grow space and propagation to the effort

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, I support the project...I am skilled and knowledgeable in the area of sensitive field collectio

• Yes, I support the project, but I don't know what to do. How can I help?

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, I support the project...I can be active in a number of ways listed above

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
I thought I replyed, but maybe not. Yah, I can help in a number of ways. I have a nice chunk of land and if a Northern Purp local is needed, I can probubly designate a section of it to be transphormed into a bog. I got grow space in general, access to a couple of privetly owned bogs and could probubly get a prof. to help out with any feild research/collection needed
smile.gif

I'm not sure what I could do but I am always willing to help keep any plants alive. Let me know

Joe

I have already voted and my position is fairly clear.  It is our duty to attempt to save these plants.  I personally believe that everything serves a very important purpose, even if that purpose is not clear to us.  If something goes into a natural extinction that must be allowed to occur.  But man made must be fought.  This is a good way of fighting.  Casper (we need a friendly ghost smiley), Bugweed had asked for me to gather info from states about there collection policies. I have begun to collect that data. Do you wish for me to continue? I will not be able to get on AOL with you until Monday. This weekend is one day in and already a killer.

Copper,
By all means proceed. I don't know of anyone else currently working on that.

I support this, but I don't know what I can do. I can difinetly support, and maybe even work on webspace.

It's a great relief to see that there is more support for this project than there initially appeared. I am in full support of the direction this is headed. I cannot offer extensive knowledge, but I can offer growing space at Seattle Central Community College. We currently have a meager collection that I have been nurturing and expanding (mostly out of my own collection, but also through the generosity of Brooks Garcia) and have arranged many trades to this end. Better than that is the new greenhouse that is being constructed, including a three tier bog garden, which should be completed within a year.

While not the ideal region for subtropicals, the winters in Seattle are very mild and many people grow various Sarrs outdoors year round with no insulation, although it makes for a long dormancy.

In addition to the greenhouse space, I have a love for driving my covered pickup all over the northwest for any reason that may assist in this endeavor. While I don't anticipate that this will be of any help, it is available.

I would also like to assist an any mundane way that I can: stuffing envelopes, writing thank you notes, whatever needs done.

While I was more than glad to help organize a dedicated group of private growers, I'm glad to see that there are people capable of organizing something more formal, as well as the support for that movement. My hat's off to you all.

jason the monk

If someone could work up a article about what we are doing,those of us with websites could post it.They could post it here ,and the rest of us just copy and paste it on our own site.Just a suggestion.

Jerry

Cool85K5 that's a good idea. I will get to work on one. Does anyone have the current loss figures? That is how fast we are losing the plant's natural lands and the such? I am dedicating a section of my website to this project. It would be great if those with larger sites could do the same. The more it is seen the more it will be believed.

Do we have a records keeper yet?

Copper, I suggest you PM Carl Mazur, and see if he can help you there. Since they want to be a part of, they should be willing to give facts and figures. Just a suggestion, but its the only one I have. Need to get a vote going on what to call ourselves that is simple and to the point. I have suggested the "Sarracenia National Collection and Preservation Society." Conservation Through Stewardship (Trailer). Casper and I are pretty much in favor of this one as it sounds correct as to what we are about. But we need a name for ourselves, so vote on this name, or offer a better one if you can. We need to move in several ways at a time, and I have Snowy Falcon, and Mijako10 working on our coding system and plant tags associated with them. They are pretty smart, and I think it should work. That will be voted on too. In fact, no moves will be made until voting by the members of this new Society. You will have to make yourself known so that we may have a members list to go along with our Name.

There are good facts and figures in...sorry cant remember...either Barry or Carls post where he starts with a Mission statement. Then end has a nice write up with statistics etc. Once the MS is written up it can be posted and pinned at the top of this forum for everyone to know our direction.

Yes, but who will write it?

Suzanne is writing the Mission Statements rough draft soon. We are all to vote on it and offer suggested changes as they are necessary. EVERYTHING that pertains to this Society will always be put to open discussion, and a vote to finalize it. Every member has a say in how we operate, and we must always remember our responsibilities to the land itself.

Happy Birthday Bugweed.

Ummm... "Guest", his profile says his birthday is July 17th, not February 22nd.

SF

It might be because I started growing in February 42 years ago. I killed my first plant way back then, and it was Darlingtonia.

I thought maybe it was because the 22nd was the birthday of the first president of our country...  
rock.gif
 and 'guest' was making the president connection.  ya think?

PlantAKiss,

I'd like to offer my skills for this cause. If I could get a lead on exactly where I could help, I would appreciate the PM!
biggrin.gif
Now, I could help in a number of ways. But, to name one that may be unique but not helpful, is that I am a Film Major and Multimedia. If I can't do it I have friends who can. So, when it comes to multimedia or even a Video I can help you out. On the other hand, research, writing, relaying messages, or even offering plant space I can do it. Let me know what is best and when.
biggrin.gif

Here is a bit I wrote in hopes that my local paper would publish it, but it never made it in. This has to do with Sarracenia rubra subsp. alabamensis.

There are many plants and animals, in the world today, that have been added to the Endangered Species List. However, not many people get a hands-on chance to help save these plants and animals from total extinction. On June 9th, 2003, I was given the privilege of doing just that. On my porch was a box from the International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS) containing two Federally Endangered Sarracenia rubra subsp. alabamensis or Sarracenia alabamensis and all the appropriate documentation. These plants are part of a project to help decrease the number of plants poached from the ever decreasing wild populations.

The plants that have been distributed as part of the program are all grown in greenhouses from seeds acquired by the ICPS. The seeds were germinated by the ICPS Director of Conservation Programs Barry Rice, and by the ICPS Seed Bank Manager, John Brittnacher. The plants were then transferred to the Botanical Conservatory greenhouse at the University of California at Davis for further development. (Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, March 2003, Vol. 32, No. 1:4)

Sarracenia alabamensis has been fighting a loosing battle for habitat ever since the first people drained land for farming and housing. As land was drained, it caused water tables to drop. As a result Sarracenia alabamensis began to decline in physical size and population numbers due to habitat drying up.

Another large factor that has contributed to decreased populations is the lack of fire. Over the years, forest fires have been suppressed to help protect human communities. In order for Sarracenia alabamensis to thrive, as well as other species of Sarracenia, it must have little competition from larger shade creating plants. One of the ways the larger plants had been controlled was by natural fires created by lighting. However, due to housing developments, shopping centers, and other public areas, these types of fires are put out before they have a chance to clear the scrub and brush. Today, it is difficult to get permission for prescribed burns. Which has further reduced the populations of Sarracenia species as a whole, and severely threatened Sarracenia alabamensis.

In 1990, there were 28 reported locations of Sarracenia rubra subsp. alabamensis in three counties in Alabama. Today there are less than 12 locations. Over 50% of Sarracenia rubra subsp. alabamensis populations have been lost due to habitat destruction, over collecting, lack of fire, and adverse land practices which still continue today. Of the remaining 12 locations, plant populations range from 2 individuals to 300 individuals, with most locations containing less than 50 individuals. (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service)

In order to obtain these plants, those interested must have been a current member of the ICPS and submit request for the plants. Members were chosen at random to receive plants and it was not known how many plants there were to go around. Those who submitted a request had to send in a fee to cover the costs associated with the distribution of the plants. Plants were distributed under U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service permit TE060992-0. The purpose of the project was not to raise money, but to distribute as many plants as possible to members all over the United States.

After submitting a request, members had to wait to see if they would get the privilege to care for Sarracenia alabamensis plants. Although each member whose name was drawn would receive two plants, the plants came with no guarantee and one or both plants could be dead on arrival. Fortunately, the plants I received arrived in good condition and have a good chance of survival. The plants that one could receive came from two of three possible locations. It was encouraged to choose to accept plants from two different locations to help keep the gene pool of Sarracenia alabamensis diverse.

As time goes by, these plants will mature and begin to flower. It will be up to me, and the other members who received these plants, to pollinate and distribute the seeds back to the ICPS for others to grow. Through this program of giving, it is hoped that the plants will continue to live well into the future and be there for other generations to enjoy. Members of the ICPS are encouraged to donate seeds from these plants back to the ICPS Seed Bank.

Sarracenia alabamensis is a Carnivorous Plant found in a limited range in Alabama and is one of five subspecies of Sarracenia rubra. These plants adapted to lure, capture and digest insects. The leaves of Sarracenia have developed into hollow tubes that resemble trumpets or tall pitchers have the ability to hold fluid. Over the top of the pitcher is a lid that helps to keep excess rain water from overfilling the pitchers. Around the opening is a lip that extends around the perimeter of opening until it reaches the neck of the lid. This lip is covered with nectar that lures the prey closer to the trap. Prey is then guided by other nectar gland and various patterns to venture further into the trap. In addition, downward pointing hairs help guide the prey further down the trap. These hairs make it virtually impossible for the prey to escape. The fluid found in the pitcher contains enzymes secreted by the plant as well as bacteria that is used in the breakdown and digestion of insects and other animal matter. The tops of the pitchers are very colorful, containing reds and yellows, and have elaborate patterns that are attractive to insects.

More information can be found at the flowing web sites:

The International Carnivorous Plant Society www.carnivorousplants.org

Endangered Species Program, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service – endangered.fws.gov

Nicholas R. Hubbell
www.buckeyecarnivores.com
ICPS Member 2003
7/23/2003

Wow!  What a great article, Nick!  There certainly has to be a special place for that somewhere here.  
biggrin.gif

Back