What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Sarracenia Collection Project

National Sarracenia Collection Project - EVERYONE..Vote your opinions and support

• No, I do not support a U.S. National Sarracenia Collection.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I support the idea but in spirit only.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, I support the project...I'd like to have a task/project assigned to me.

• Yes, I support the project...I'd like to help the cause financially

• Yes, I support the project...I'd like to donate a service and/or my skills to the cause.

• Yes, I support the project...I'd like to donate equipment or work space to the cause.

• Yes, I support the project...I can offer grow space and propagation to the effort

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, I support the project...I am skilled and knowledgeable in the area of sensitive field collectio

• Yes, I support the project, but I don't know what to do. How can I help?

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, I support the project...I can be active in a number of ways listed above

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello all Forum members!

This is a poll to give us an idea of how many people support the project of a National Collection of Sarracenia and would be willing to contribute efforts towards this goal.

For all pollsters, if you select any answer of "yes", please make a post to the topic and state your choice of answer (and any comments/suggestions you might have) so we can get a list of names for our "soldiers".  There is work to be done!

Please bear in mind this is a serious endeavor which will require a lot of dedication and hard work to achieve.  Hopefully many of you here will see this as a valuable and worthwhile effort which will result in a number of very positive effects for the future of sarracenia in the U.S.  You can be part of a major revolution!

As you know, the natural habitat of these special and beautiful plants is rapidly being destroyed by development.  This National Collection will 1) keep species/hybrids of sarracenia alive and growing for future generations...and available for re-introduction into the wild in event of habitat destruction/decline/poaching; 2) make the plants, both rare and common, more available for private collections through conservation, preservation and propagation; 3) drive down the cost of rare plants through increased availability thus reducing the profitability in poaching wild plants for the purpose of selling for profit

Steps must be taken NOW to save these plants.   The more shoulders we have to push this effort, the better the chances there are of success.

This is an excellent opportunity to make a stand for conservation and preservation in a very real way.  Its one thing to cry "What a shame!" when you read about the destruction of the plants and their habitat, but its quite another to take ACTION to prevent the extinction of these rare and beautiful plants that can only be found native in North America.  They are "our" plants!  Once they are gone...they are gone.  Lets be ACTIVE and take the steps needed to ensure future generations will be able to see, enjoy and even own these beautiful plants.

Don't just read this topic and close it...please participate!  Take just a moment to add your vote to this poll.  We must know the level of interest and willingness to help to evaluate the viability of this project.  There will be a need for many things from writing skills to money to PR work, etc.  No one comes "empty handed"!  Everyone has something they can offer.     And don't forget to SPREAD THE WORD to non-forum members who might be willing to help too!

Step 1:  Place your poll vote

Step 2:  If you answer any "yes" question, please make a post, state your name and let us know in what areas you can help or what your strengths are (writing, computer, organization, procurement, PR, legal, research, etc.).

THANK YOU ALL!

I am willing to be assinged a project, but i am unshure on what i can do. I can collect information, altough i am quite busy with school and stuff
MrStraetzSholmes.gif

Not to sure what I could do besides providing a home for a few more common seeds/plants.

I'm donating my other 22feet of greenhouse space for this. Whether or not I get to use all that space to steward that many plants or not.
smile.gif

Of course 25 Sarracenia don't take up alot fo space in the summer either. Winter, oh well the floors will be littered with pots if I am blessed with that many saved plants.

Cheers!

I can employ my 41+ years to the growing of sarracenia species for reintroduction into the wild, desemination into the hands of fellow growers, requiring locale plants with information, and offering services to collect seed or plants legally with proper documentation. Plants are to be collected for base material for propagation, with only one half dozen plants removed from the whole bog per species, insuring genetic diversity from that bog, and reintroducing the diversity into the captive specimens. I also offer the services of Brooks Garcia for teaching all involved the method of preventing accidental pollination in your plants.

I voted: offers skills/services.

Well I am not a leader type nor an expert grower, but I can be assigned a project and I can donate graphic services and writing perhaps, if needed. I can create informational brochures and that kinda thing. Depending on volume, I can't say I could always print it (I can cheat a LITTLE on the color copier at work).

I am open to suggestion.
smile.gif

Thanks, PAK! We can always count on you!!

I can fit in only a few adult plants, but can propagate seeds & grow seedlings a year or so for distribution. Or I can dust off a dormant, much less than expert cartography ability, or do other things I don't yet know need to be done. Bruce

I can offer my business skills firstly. At the age of 24 I am V.P. of a 16 million dollar com. roofing corp. I have a strong backround in accounting and business law. I have ready access to both attorneys and C.P.A.s who would be willing to help pro-bono. I have access to various software tools to help with business accounting wich could prove usefull. With my position, I can also assist in reproduction of media, as well as assist with postage.

Secondly, I live in New Orleans. I am withing driving distance of Alabama, Florida and the Carolina's and I could assist in field work. I think there are much more subtible people here to actually begin the propagation etc, but the field work I am at home with.

Third, I have a few fundraising ideas. Like it or not, it is going to take a fair ammount of money to get this thing afloat, and I have put a good deal of though into that.

Fourth, I am great at research. To date, I have already aquired all documents needed to collect endangered (both naturally and commercially) plants in Florida. I have read and understand the speculations required to meet to get approved. I am in the process of narowing down sites.

Lastly, I am a problem solver. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box to solve the problem on the inside.

Paul

I can offer grow space and propagation to the effort and I'd like to donate a service and/or my skills to the cause.

I know enough HTML to throw together a quick website if there is interest. I'm not a master, but I can make a simple informative page.

Also, I would like to help out as a steward. I have a whole backyard I can dedicate, if necessary. I like to call it my green house as it's always sunny and humid here in south Florida.

I'd like to be able to help with field collection, but won't have my regular drivers license for a year, or my permit for a couple more weeks, so that's out of the question.

SF

Casper, you will be a jewel!

Thanks everybody.
biggrin.gif
You all are wonderful.

But we need more than 9 people to respond here. Everyone has a voice!

"We the people...", remember?
smile.gif

Um, I didn't read the whole topic on this, and I think I like it so I voted the "only in spirit" one. I don't have space for sarrs or good weather, sorry.
sad.gif

but still think the idea is nice
smile.gif

Yes, I support the project, but I don't know what to do. How can I help?
smile.gif
I can support this by spirit and propagtion space
smile.gif

I voted offer skills/services.

I am a CS student, and developer-in-training. My time unfortunately is pretty tight, but I can do quite a bit in that little time. I can develop web services, applications, or just a plain old website. I can provide assistance with most any computer-related problems.

Thanks,
Pat

I can offer grow space, and website space for pics and I am good at computer programming. i can make a website if you wish
smile.gif
I would also like to be assigned a project. i dont have much money, so something that does not require alot of money
smile.gif

I have been thinking about this, so here it is. I think Casper has all the tools we need for getting seriously started, and Copper has her skills that she has donated to the New Society. Since my only skills are raising plants, and getting big ideas like this sarracenia stewardship conservation program, I would like to nominate Casper for the position as he has everything we could use right away, right now. And I would like to step down into a full support roll and counseling position instead. That is where my skill lies anyway, so if there are no objections, I will step aside.

I voted "Yes, I support the idea but in spirit only." 'cause I don't live in U.S. Also, my only skills that could be helpfull are connected to computers and internet. And it seems to me there enough of those already....

I voted for "Yes, I support the project...I can offer grow space and propagation to the effort"

I also know of several Sarracenia Purpurea populations in Western NY state..
if the project comes down to seed collection, I could work with the local authorities and land owners to collect small samples of seed from these locations..the populations are quite large, I dont think a few seeds would harm the popluations at all..
but of course, I would take seeds only if there is a need for the project..
these particular populations are in no immediate danger..

I would also like to grow some plants for the project!
I have been growing CPs for almost 10 years now..
thanks! great project!!
biggrin.gif

Scot

I can offer plenty of grow space. .

Mike

What can I say, but I am shocked. I have always wanted to play a big part of this, but I never considered actually quarterbacking it.

I am going to need some time to consider this, but I will only take it under consideration if Bugweed will be my "running mate" so to speak. I may have the business skills and drive, but I do not know the politics or major players in the cp world.

I would like to ask PAK to start writing up our mission statement. Your writing skills are matched by few, and I think you could make it read much better than I.

Anyone elses thoughts?

Paul

Back