Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundraising auction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gotten permission from Phil to hold a fundraising auction on the Terraforums website.

Right now, I would like to hold the auction next weekend. I am asking for donations of whatever you can spare. Be it plants, or a few bucks, it doesn't matter. This auction will consist of plants donated by YOU our supporters. I am asking that each person that offers up a plant for auction covers the cost of shipping himself, but I do understand that some people might be in a pinch. So if you do have plants to offer to the auction, but can not cover shipping, drop me a pm and we will work something out.

Please look deep in your hearts on this. We are starting to get everything into place for this Society to become a reality. What we need now is funding. I estimate the costs of expiditing a Non-profit to be in the $500 range alone.

If no one has any objections, I will put the funds into a (free) business checking account with Hibernia National Bank. After the initial start up fee's any spendatures will be voted upon by the "congress" or whatever it is you all chose to form.

So start thinking about it, and SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!!

We will prevail.

Paul

Edit: I gues I should add a few things.

First of all, I wouldn't say that this is held only for US members, but remember, you will be shipping the plant you donate, so make sure you can do it legally. You should post your location with your plant(s).

Phil has some software that he says could help with this auction so hopefully this will be up and tested by then. If not, we can hold it in the Trading section. I hate to mutter up this section with tons of posts about the auction.

The plan is to start the auction on Friday and go untill Sunday. We will have set times to close the bidding etc...

The way I invision it is everyone with something to donate will make a thread with the name of the plant in the title. People can bid inside that thread for that particular plant. Seems the easiest way to keep track and not get confused.

I was asked what is allowed and whats not allowed, and well, I really don't have an answer to that. The idea is to raise funds for our Society, so I guess anything that can generate a few bucks, and is LEGALL, should be allowed.

If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up. I am open to ideas.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey...great idea! I'm in! Let me check and see what I might have to offer.

I think we need a "battlecry"...something to shout as we charge into the project...."The Will of the People...The Future for Sarracenia!!!"? lol

Can it be anything? Not necessarily a plant? Like a gift certificate to a restaurant or a garden tool or something?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't a good time for those of us in the north to be sending or receiving non-dormant plants without being cautious with weather and packaging. And, never having complete confidence in the survival of the Sarracenias currently sleeping under oak leaves, I won't list any of them. But here's a plant I can offer up right now.

Cephalotus follicularis: ~1 1/2" diameter plant with pitchers and at least 2 and maybe up to 4 growth centers. It's a well rooted division potted last spring.

I'll time the shipping to take advantage of better weather and will double box and insulate to ensure the healthy arrival by priority mail.

Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just like to add that people need to bear in mind this is a charity type of auction. While you may acquire something cool out of it, and even for a great price, the main focus is FUND RAISING. So try to be generous and think of things, anything--doesn't have to be a plant--that might interest someone. Plants of course, a book about orchids, gardening gloves or tools, seeds, special custom potting mix you might make, gift certificate to Lowes, Walmart or a national restaurant chain. Be creative...maybe a wake-up phone call for a week (I'd bid on that! lol)? A web site design? A plant drawing? A plant poster? Plant T-shirt? Think folks, think! This can be a lot of fun AND do a lot of good at the same time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're about to email all 18,000 of our customers for a spring sale. We'll include a blurb about the auction in the emailing.

I'll be in touch shortly with details.
    Phillip J. Crane
    Austin, TX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]We're about to email all 18,000 of our customers for a spring sale. We'll include a blurb about the auction in the emailing.

I'll be in touch shortly with details.
    Wow! This is great! I hope growing details will be provided to novices.

Do i have anything i can put up on the auction? Humm not much, but i promise i will look around for some things
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch...if it will net a few dollars, anything is good. If you had 10 items auction off for $10...that's $100. It adds up...the big and small. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in! I will auction a yet unreleased 'Leah Wilkerson' division. Be the first on your block to own one.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast