What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundraising auction

I have gotten permission from Phil to hold a fundraising auction on the Terraforums website.

Right now, I would like to hold the auction next weekend. I am asking for donations of whatever you can spare. Be it plants, or a few bucks, it doesn't matter. This auction will consist of plants donated by YOU our supporters. I am asking that each person that offers up a plant for auction covers the cost of shipping himself, but I do understand that some people might be in a pinch. So if you do have plants to offer to the auction, but can not cover shipping, drop me a pm and we will work something out.

Please look deep in your hearts on this. We are starting to get everything into place for this Society to become a reality. What we need now is funding. I estimate the costs of expiditing a Non-profit to be in the $500 range alone.

If no one has any objections, I will put the funds into a (free) business checking account with Hibernia National Bank. After the initial start up fee's any spendatures will be voted upon by the "congress" or whatever it is you all chose to form.

So start thinking about it, and SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!!

We will prevail.

Paul

Edit: I gues I should add a few things.

First of all, I wouldn't say that this is held only for US members, but remember, you will be shipping the plant you donate, so make sure you can do it legally. You should post your location with your plant(s).

Phil has some software that he says could help with this auction so hopefully this will be up and tested by then. If not, we can hold it in the Trading section. I hate to mutter up this section with tons of posts about the auction.

The plan is to start the auction on Friday and go untill Sunday. We will have set times to close the bidding etc...

The way I invision it is everyone with something to donate will make a thread with the name of the plant in the title. People can bid inside that thread for that particular plant. Seems the easiest way to keep track and not get confused.

I was asked what is allowed and whats not allowed, and well, I really don't have an answer to that. The idea is to raise funds for our Society, so I guess anything that can generate a few bucks, and is LEGALL, should be allowed.

If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up. I am open to ideas.

Hey...great idea! I'm in! Let me check and see what I might have to offer.

I think we need a "battlecry"...something to shout as we charge into the project...."The Will of the People...The Future for Sarracenia!!!"? lol

Can it be anything? Not necessarily a plant? Like a gift certificate to a restaurant or a garden tool or something?

This isn't a good time for those of us in the north to be sending or receiving non-dormant plants without being cautious with weather and packaging.  And, never having complete confidence in the survival of the Sarracenias currently sleeping under oak leaves, I won't list any of them.  But here's a plant I can offer up right now.

Cephalotus follicularis: ~1 1/2" diameter plant with pitchers and at least 2 and maybe up to 4 growth centers.  It's a well rooted division potted last spring.

I'll time the shipping to take advantage of better weather and will double box and insulate to ensure the healthy arrival by priority mail.

I would just like to add that people need to bear in mind this is a charity type of auction.  While you may acquire something cool out of it, and even for a great price, the main focus is FUND RAISING.  So try to be generous and think of things, anything--doesn't have to be a plant--that might interest someone.  Plants of course, a book about orchids, gardening gloves or tools, seeds, special custom potting mix you might make, gift certificate to Lowes, Walmart or a national restaurant chain.  Be creative...maybe a wake-up phone call for a week (I'd bid on that!  lol)?  A web site design?  A plant drawing?  A plant poster?  Plant T-shirt?  Think folks, think!  This can be a lot of fun AND do a lot of good at the same time.  
smile.gif

We're about to email all 18,000 of our customers for a spring sale. We'll include a blurb about the auction in the emailing.

I'll be in touch shortly with details.

speechless-smiley-003.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We're about to email all 18,000 of our customers for a spring sale. We'll include a blurb about the auction in the emailing.

I'll be in touch shortly with details.

Wow! This is great! I hope growing details will be provided to novices.

Do i have anything i can put up on the auction? Humm not much, but i promise i will look around for some things

Finch...if it will net a few dollars, anything is good. If you had 10 items auction off for $10...that's $100. It adds up...the big and small.
smile.gif

Count me in! I will auction a yet unreleased 'Leah Wilkerson' division. Be the first on your block to own one.

I can donate 2 N. x ventrata plants in 3" pots. I am in Ohio.

I know I can dig up something...I know I have a large s. leucophllya at home, and more I am sure. I know I can donate a few bucks. I take it that the e mail will enclose shipping addresses and whatnot???

I will give two different divisions of s. rubra var. wherryi, Mobile County, Alabama and one very old and mature cutting of s. rubra var. alabamensis from Chilton County, Alabama near the town of Thorsby. Last I heard, that stand was extinct from poachers. This is a very aerolated(sp?) pitcher with many faint windows.

Anyone interested in washed silica sand?  I bought a bag today and don't think I can use it all.
tounge.gif
 I could set up a one or two 5 pound portions to donate.  I did the vinegar test on it and there have been no bubbles formed.  Should be good stuff.

smile.gif

BCK

Edit: It's 70 grit (very fine) sand.

No S. alabamensis, jonesii, or oreophila plants can be auctioned, right?

Casper, I will get back to you, but I am sure that I can find a few plants for this auction.

If I remember correctly what I read on the papers that came with my S.oreophilas, you can not sell the plants across state lines. You can send them as a gift, but they can't be sold or traded except within the state you reside.

smile.gif

BCK

No plants are being sold. You are making a contribution to a charity. The owner will not profit off of the plant. The winner of the auction makes a donation straight to the charity and someone else sends you a gift.

Casper

That's what I thought, Casper. Talk to Barry or Carl and verify. We do not want trouble over this, and I have a lot more plants to share. Thanks for the heads up you guys,we'll
check on it. I still would like for one of you to have these plants.

I have a few plants I can put up for auction,just let me know when.One thing I have to say,please don't send plants to people in envelopes,send them in boxes.That way when somebody wins the plant, it does'nt get smashed going through the post office.I'll send out my plants in boxes,and gladly pay the $3.85 it costs to ship!

Jerry

I love the idea of an auction but who will collect the money, how will it be held, spent, etc.

What is the current structure of the organization? Who has what responsibilities?

I think it would be good to add a forum listing who is responsible for what and who is currently activly involved.

Lets truly get organized, develop a plan and go go go.

There is a lot of enthusiasm for this. It would be a shame to not organize and mobilize while this is still going strong.

I'm sorry if I sound negative, I don't mean to. Maybe my questions have already been answered in a post somewhere, but I don't think so.

Bugweed, you seem to be the leader so far, am I missing the posts?

Looking forward to the auction.

Glenn

You may be missin' something, Glenn. I am not in charge, I handed that to Casper because he has the resources to get us going, and he has the organization to move us along. You just keep sending suggestions. We are trying to take care of all this, but one step at a time. I am only an advisor, as is Carl, and Barry at this time. And since no one else stepped up to challenge the pro-tem pres. We are just going to keep it this way unless someone else thinks they can do it better. I just want to get this thing going, and I know PAK is working on our mission statement and other things as well. So Casper is President, or Chairman, or whatever, but he is moving us along. We are attempting to set up our by-laws and a host of other things, so don't be like me, be patient instead. And please, Glenn, keep your thoughts coming,OK? we need every one of them!

Back