Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Our foundations name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda got to agree with SF there it may be time to set a deadline for name suggestions,maybe this Fri.(Feb27th),and post notice of the start of voting
    and deadline.
    I always suspect everything is a trap....thats why I'm still alive

Times fun when you're having flys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more Snowman! And thank you God's garden for all your input too. It looks to me that we have a good group of people here ready to do something, so I will alert Casper and PAK to get the poll and votes going. Casper wants to expedite the speed in which we are moving in order to get our non-profit status happening. Carl Mazur has reluctantly affirmed that it may not be appropriate to auction alabamensis, or jonesii, or oreophila, so that auction item is withdrawn. I thank Big Carnivour Kid and the other gentleman for bringing that to our attention. Carl wishes us to contact Barry regarding the matter, but instead, I will withdraw the plant. Too bad. It is a LARGE alabamensis, 17 years old, and produces flowers in incredible numbers every year. I would have loved to see that go into someone's collection and multiply. I go to find Casper!!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] I would have loved to see that go into someone's collection and multiply
    The fact that it can't be auctioned doesn't stop it from going to other's care... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

SF

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have to use all the ones I suggested! I just listed a bunch to see if it jogged the thought processes of anyone else.

In a poll, we can only have 10 selections. OR...two concurrent polls which would give up to 10 more.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two cents on the topic of name, is that it must be as understandable to the public as it is us. If this Foundation will be getting non-profit status it sounds like many a congressman, Local politician, or even Governor will be involved to some degree at some future date. It has been my experience that the public gets elected to these positions. Thus, my suggestions:

Feel free to switch around or even ignore. It's just my duty to try! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sarracenia Pitcher Plant Conservation Society
    Sarracenia Pitcher Plant Conservation Foundation
    National Sarracenia Foundation : Conserving America's Pitcher Plants
    The Sarracenia Foundation : The society dedicated in the conservation of America's pitcher plants the Sarracenia
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like some more analysis needs to go into the words that we are selecting. We cannot simply create a name using certain words because they "sound better" ie. "conservancy foundation" sounds better than "organization" and so on... under what word(s) does this collection fall? (and all associated with it)

ORGANIZATION
    b : an administrative and functional structure (as a business or a political party); also : the personnel of such a structure

CONSERVANCY
    b : an organization or area designated to conserve and protect natural resources

FOUNDATION:
    3 a : funds given for the permanent support of an institution : ENDOWMENT b : an organization or institution established by endowment with provision for future maintenance
    5 a : a body or ground upon which something is built up or overlaid

Personally, I am leaning toward this one:
    ASYLUM
    4 : an institution for the care of the destitute or sick and especially the insane

INSTITUTION
    1 : an act of instituting : ESTABLISHMENT
    2 a : a significant practice, relationship, or organization in a society or culture <the institution of marriage>; also : something or someone firmly associated with a place or thing <she has become an institution in the theater> b : an established organization or corporation (as a college or university) especially of a public character; also : ASYLUM

ASSOCIATION
    2 : an organization of persons having a common interest

SOCIETY
    2 : a voluntary association of individuals for common ends; especially : an organized group working together or periodically meeting because of common interests, beliefs, or profession
    3 a : an enduring and cooperating social group whose members have developed organized patterns of relationships through interaction with one another b : a community, nation, or broad grouping of people having common traditions, institutions, and collective activities and interests
    4 a : a part of a community that is a unit distinguishable by particular aims or standards of living or conduct : a social circle or a group of social circles having a clearly marked identity <move in polite society> <literary society> b : a part of the community that sets itself apart as a leisure class and that regards itself as the arbiter of fashion and manners

CLUB
    3 a : an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically; also : a group identified by some common characteristic <nations in the nuclear club>

PRESERVATION
    1 : to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : PROTECT
    2 a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay b : MAINTAIN
    3 a : to keep or save from decomposition b : to can, pickle, or similarly prepare for future use
    4 : to keep up and reserve for personal or special use
    intransitive senses

That's about all I can think of right now.
    Why am I bringing this up? Well it seems like some of the names that have been suggested sound a little redundant

"US National Sarracenia Pitcher Plant preservation conservancy foundation" and so on. Yes I know no one suggested that yet.
    "US National" is redundant.

"Conservancy" is a noun, and it is also an organization. A "Conservancy foundation" is redundant. One may as well say "society organization"

"National Sarracenia Conservancy and Preservation Foundation" would need to be "National Sarracenia conservation and preservation foundation." However, do we really need to state that we plan to conserve AND preserve?

Personally, I like the way "North American" sounds. It seems like this organization fits the description of a conservancy and a society.
    North American Sarracenia Conservation Society
    North American Sarracenia Conservancy
    Those sound pretty nifty to me. They don't have any redundant or contradictory words. It makes SENSE. It isn't too intimidating.

Just my two cents
    -Trev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This goes out to readers of "The DaVinci Code"
    P.S.
    The Priory of Sarracenia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the things we learn! Thanks Nepenthe! Did you vote the poll? Do so while it is still up!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast