What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our foundations name

Time to get rolling. I am trying to seperate things as we speak to keep some of the confusion down. We need to decide upon our name. I copy/pasted something from bugweeds post, because I couldn't say it any better myself (been a ROUGH weekend, sorry for not being more presant)

So... without further ado, lets hear your thoughts.

Need to get a vote going on what to call ourselves that is simple and to the point. I have suggested the "Sarracenia National Collection and Preservation Society." Conservation Through Stewardship (Trailer). Casper and I are pretty much in favor of this one as it sounds correct as to what we are about. But we need a name for ourselves, so vote on this name, or offer a better one if you can. We need to move in several ways at a time, and I have Snowy Falcon, and Mijako10 working on our coding system and plant tags associated with them. They are pretty smart, and I think it should work. That will be voted on too. In fact, no moves will be made until voting by the members of this new Society. You will have to make yourself known so that we may have a members list to go along with our Name.

I still agree with the ealier post that "conservancy" may be a more suitable
title as opposed to collection.(2 cents)

Ok, so are you suggesting we use "Sarracenia National Conservancy and Preservation Society" instead? As soon as we get a few suggestions we will start a poll to actually vote. Unless otherwise objected, I think the voting process should last 1 week. Gives everyone time enough to read, digest, and decide what they prefer.

How about "Society of Caring Sarracenia Growers - Conservation and Preservation through Stewardship"

Peter

I still like the First National Sarracenia Conservancy.

SF

SF,

why the "First"? Is there to be a second?
rock.gif

How about "Society for the Preservation of Sarracenias in Cultivation"?

The same reason there are banks like "First National Bank". My reason is only to distinguish this program from the National Security Council (NSC) and other programs with similar initials. No big deal really.

SF

In a earlier post it was explained why "first" was submitted,I can't find it now
but I do recall agreeing with the reasoning.As for the "cultivation" while "authentic" plants in cultivation should be the first propigated materials we draw from,WE may require LEGALY DOCUMENTED collections to insure we get the appropriate "snapshot" from certain endangered bogs."sarracinas in cultivation" kinda suggest to me and may mislead others to believe that the only plant material we posses is from cultivation.I do understand that once the society is in possesion of the material in "WILL" then be in cultivation this may be where the name is drawn from ,but we have to ask will the uninitiated
understand this? I guess a short explanation will be inevateble regardless, just
trying to keep it simple and to the point-JZ

Why not just rearrange the words so it's not NSC?    
rock.gif
   Also, I think that conservancy should be in the title.  
And I like the sound of Society &/or Foundation, too.  Guess they can't all fit, though...  
wow.gif

If this is to be a not-for-profit organization, there may be some legal reason to use one name over another, also.

This is good! Keep it coming, we will list the names for consideration when Casper is ready for the first step--a name for ourselves. Any more??

Da Boss (the Wife) just suggested Sarracenia Conservation and Preservation Foundation. Any more??

We may want to think about the impact of the name on the general public. I know that it is an awkward name, it isn't technically accurate and will lend ambiguity to those in the know, AND may even sound bad, but the mental image that the Pitcher Plant Conservancy (or some such variance) makes in the mind of the public may be worth it. I'm not sure if we will even want to court public opinion in the future, but it's something to consider.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't vote for it unless someone made a really great argument for it, but I thought I should bring up the option of using common name since it hasn't come up yet.

jason the monk

I still prefer Conservancy in the name. I think "collection" conveys an image of one group of plants on display somewhere. And though that may be part of it eventually, its not really the whole picture of what this is about.

National Sarracenia Conservancy and Preservation Foundation
National Sarracenia Preservation and Conservancy Foundation
National Conservancy for Preservation of American Pitcher Plants
Sarracenia National Conservancy and Preservation Foundation (that rhymes...ugh)
Sarracenia National Preservation and Conservancy Foundation
The National Sarracenia Conservancy Program (or Foundation)
National Conservancy Foundation for American Pitcher Plants
National Sarracenia Conservancy Foundation

I guess I like the words "National" (because it implies its for and by "the people"...the country as a whole, not just CP growers)...and Conservancy (to me means the PEOPLE who are working to "conserve" the plants) and "Foundation" (sounds like a non-profit group). The name is about WHO the group is as well as what the group is trying to accomplish.

Just my 2 cents. I'm still thinking.
smile.gif

Those plus the others that have been mentioned are probably enough names for a poll.

SF

Kinda got to agree with SF there it may be time to set a deadline for name suggestions,maybe this Fri.(Feb27th),and post notice of the start of voting
and deadline.

I couldn't agree more Snowman! And thank you God's garden for all your input too. It looks to me that we have a good group of people here ready to do something, so I will alert Casper and PAK to get the poll and votes going. Casper wants to expedite the speed in which we are moving in order to get our non-profit status happening. Carl Mazur has reluctantly affirmed that it may not be appropriate to auction alabamensis, or jonesii, or oreophila, so that auction item is withdrawn. I thank Big Carnivour Kid and the other gentleman for bringing that to our attention. Carl wishes us to contact Barry regarding the matter, but instead, I will withdraw the plant. Too bad. It is a LARGE alabamensis, 17 years old, and produces flowers in incredible numbers every year. I would have loved to see that go into someone's collection and multiply. I go to find Casper!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I would have loved to see that go into someone's collection and multiply

The fact that it can't be auctioned doesn't stop it from going to other's care...
wink.gif

SF

Don't have to use all the ones I suggested! I just listed a bunch to see if it jogged the thought processes of anyone else.

In a poll, we can only have 10 selections. OR...two concurrent polls which would give up to 10 more.

Back