Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coding system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for mentioning me Snowy. I'm glad to say I helped. It's a great system and you should be proud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be proud too Mijako 10. I told you your 2 cents would eventually add up to a dollar. I appreciate your input and Snowy's help in this project. Now the fine tuning begins! Thank you again Mijako and Snowman!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the controversials go I think we should go with the Schnell versions of things

S. rubra alabamenis
    S. rubra wherryii
    S. rubra gulfensis
    S. rubra jonesii
    S. rubra rubra

S. purpurea purpurea
    S. purpurea venosa
    S. purpurea venosa var montana
    S. pupruprea venosa var burkii

But thats my personal preference, maybe we should vote on it? Not sure what the protocol is. I know the conservations groups use S. alabmensis, and S. jonesii, as their own species, so what happens to wherryii, is it alabamensis ssp wherryii or is put into the rubra complex? The rosea vs burkii, don't know. I personally have referred to it as S. rosea, but I am not too convinced of it being given species status, I think it will screw up people, especially people new to sarracenia, they would look at purpurea and rosea and say "hey, they look the same"!!!!

2.5 cents today

Carl
    Sincerly,

CJM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Carl. That is the version I was planning to use anyways. What I need next is a list of all the varieties, subspecies and forms for all the Sarrs. I will be updating my 'coding' to be a more complete project, hopefully covering all known (and accepted) varieties. If people would take a look at it and see if I missed any species/ssp/varieties/forms, I would much appreciate it. Either PM me or post here.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on that list. send me your personal email address to ccp@vaxxine.com and I'll send you a copy of that list when I get it finished.

CJM
    Sincerly,

CJM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnowyFalcon's system is very workable.
    The taxonomic controversies could be problematic (S. alabamensis or S. rubra ssp alabamensis). A standard reference must be decided upon. Pick a recent scientific work that describes the genus in most thorough and accepted terms. How about Schnell's new book, or the ICPS database? I believe there are five or six recognized forms of S. flava: ornata, rubricorpora, cuprea, etc. so that's not a problem.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You guys are moving faster than I can write. Schnell is where I would put my vote.
    Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then Schnell is who we go with.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12