What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fact gathering

A lot of people are asking what they can do to help, and here is one of them. We need people to gather facts and statistics. Info on how fast Sarrs are disapearing from the wild, how many are estimated to be left. How many there where 10 years ago. Habitat destruction, the effect of poaching on there population etc...

All the info is out there, it just needs to be researched. Post any and all info you can find (including your source) here. If you would like to help with this, please post so that we know who is working on it.

Paul

I couldnt find much on any of those

Here are a few websites I found. The first few are outdated, though - from back in 92 or so.

S. Oreophila
S. rubra ssp. alabamanensis (S. alabamanensis)
S. rubra jonesii
S. oreophila
S. rubra jonesii
S. rubra ssp. jonesii

That should be enough for now...
smile.gif

Peter

I'll go look at the periodicals in the GVSU library and get back to you
smile.gif
Should be something somewhere.

Hi guys,
I've been working on this as well.Basicly,sarracenias are declining at a rate of
app. .2% to .6% per year.this number applys to individual plants not sites.So
for example if you had 20,000 individual plants you attrition rate for a single year would be 4,000 plants MINIMUM!!!.The problem with finding the numbers is that no one has ever done a base line study to find out how many exist.If this had been done in the seventies,and given the populations we know about today
there would be some workable numbers.I think any statistics calculated on this
are going to be more of a ball park figure.But hey I know I' m not the sharpest tool in the shed so prehaps one of you can find out more.I could be wrong,in fact,I hope I am. Something Mike Howlett suggested to me in a conversation we had this week(I'm going to say it here so I don't forget)is for those of you who know of sites, keep an eye on them for signs of survey flags or development.We can get a common "permission slip" printed up and brought to the landowner (if it's private property) and get permission to collect the material
needed from the site before it's bulldozer fodder!-keep up the good work guys
hopefully someone can find better statistics than I.Were getting there one step at a time.You're in my prayers

Uh GG, If you had 20,000 plants declining at a rate of .2% - .6% per year, that would mean 40 - 120 plants per year. You scared me there - 4000 plants/year and in 5 years it would be over.
sad.gif

However, this shows that the project is more manageable than I had thought. Each grower can grow at least 40 plants, most people more, so we hopefully will be able to propagate plants faster than they dissapear.

Peter

Edit:This one is interesting and shows the range of purpureas

Funny how much difference a decimal point makes!GOT TO LEARN HOW TO USE THIS CALCULATOR.Sorry for the bad info -JZ

So then its time to slow the rate of decline and bolster some populations, don't you think?

Hi,check out this article Georgia Sarrs This small article has some cp bog distruction info and bog building info to.

Jerry

Not too sure where you found the statistics for your data above since you didn't post any scientific citiations, so I thought this may be of some reading interest, although far from a complete representation.

Johnson, E.D. 2001. Pitcherplants and their habitats in the Florida State Park System, resource conditions, trends, and management needs. Resource Management Evaluation Report. Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks, Tallahassee, FL.

Michael

BTW, the aliases are getting a little annoying. They are cutsey and I mean no disrespect, but I think they need to be dropped for discussion and presentation of this venture. Especially, if you are trying discuss the organization and introduce it to others.
smile.gif
At least post your name!

My name is posted,same as yours.And I did'nt say there was any data on the site,I just posted it so people could look at it.

Jerry

Jerry,

I do not mean you. I am refering to the person on this thread that posted data about Sarrs declining.

Please read further back, thanks.

Michael.

Thats ok,I thought you were talking to me.Welcome to the forum.

Jerry

Back