Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact gathering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are asking what they can do to help, and here is one of them. We need people to gather facts and statistics. Info on how fast Sarrs are disapearing from the wild, how many are estimated to be left. How many there where 10 years ago. Habitat destruction, the effect of poaching on there population etc...

All the info is out there, it just needs to be researched. Post any and all info you can find (including your source) here. If you would like to help with this, please post so that we know who is working on it.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldnt find much on any of those
    that makes no logic

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is something I found

http://international.fws.gov/animals/sarracen.html

I don't know if this one will help, but it might.http://www.uga.edu/gpca/pubs03.html

I'll post more as I get them.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few websites I found. The first few are outdated, though - from back in 92 or so.

S. Oreophila
    S. rubra ssp. alabamanensis (S. alabamanensis)
    S. rubra jonesii
    S. oreophila
    S. rubra jonesii
    S. rubra ssp. jonesii

That should be enough for now... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go look at the periodicals in the GVSU library and get back to you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Should be something somewhere.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,
    I've been working on this as well.Basicly,sarracenias are declining at a rate of
    app. .2% to .6% per year.this number applys to individual plants not sites.So
    for example if you had 20,000 individual plants you attrition rate for a single year would be 4,000 plants MINIMUM!!!.The problem with finding the numbers is that no one has ever done a base line study to find out how many exist.If this had been done in the seventies,and given the populations we know about today
    there would be some workable numbers.I think any statistics calculated on this
    are going to be more of a ball park figure.But hey I know I' m not the sharpest tool in the shed so prehaps one of you can find out more.I could be wrong,in fact,I hope I am. Something Mike Howlett suggested to me in a conversation we had this week(I'm going to say it here so I don't forget)is for those of you who know of sites, keep an eye on them for signs of survey flags or development.We can get a common "permission slip" printed up and brought to the landowner (if it's private property) and get permission to collect the material
    needed from the site before it's bulldozer fodder!-keep up the good work guys
    hopefully someone can find better statistics than I.Were getting there one step at a time.You're in my prayers
    I always suspect everything is a trap....thats why I'm still alive

Times fun when you're having flys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh GG, If you had 20,000 plants declining at a rate of .2% - .6% per year, that would mean 40 - 120 plants per year. You scared me there - 4000 plants/year and in 5 years it would be over. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

However, this shows that the project is more manageable than I had thought. Each grower can grow at least 40 plants, most people more, so we hopefully will be able to propagate plants faster than they dissapear.

Peter

Edit:This one is interesting and shows the range of purpureas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how much difference a decimal point makes!GOT TO LEARN HOW TO USE THIS CALCULATOR.Sorry for the bad info -JZ
    I always suspect everything is a trap....thats why I'm still alive

Times fun when you're having flys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast