What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Total species/variety list

Hi,

I'm doing some research and I need a rough estimate of how many species/varieties there are in total. I need three listings:

1.) A listing that includes all species, subspecies, and highly distinguishable forms.

2.) A listing that includes one of every plant on the above list for every state that they are existant.

3.) A rough total number of varieties that would be worth preserving in cultivation. This would include everything in list #2, plus nice coloration forms from various bogs in OH, or whatever. Anyone knowledgable enough on the subject to give me a rough estimate? 1000? 5000?

If someone could do a little research and draw up the first two listings and post them here that would be really great.

thanks!

-noah

Noah,
I can assist with this research. I will get hoppin' on the web when I get home from work.

Thanks!
smile.gif

I think Mike King's website would be a good place to start. He has all of his coded by location. Unfortunately, I don't have the URL handy, but a quick search should come up with it.

Hi guys,
   I don't know how specific you guys want the list, so it's kinda short.  I only have a couple of the more known varients on the list.  I tried to keep it short at least for now.  Please let me know how detailed you guys want the breakdown withing species.
short list

I highlighted the names that are "not accepted."  I was surprised to see that S. purpurea ssp. venosa is not accepted.  Anyone know why?

Anyway, as you tell me we need more detail, I'll start to pull in data from Mike's sight, and any other bits of info I can get my hands on.

EDIT: The bold didn't come out in the copy/paste. I will forward the file to Noah and Schloaty so that you can expound on it.

Here is what has been given to me so far.

Genus of Sarracenia – Taxonomic Breakdown (C. Mazur Feb 2004 – Draft 2)

This is a list of all currently accepted taxonomic names for the genus of Sarracenia.  Where two names are currently accepted, it is included in brackets.  

Notes
1) All bolded entries are accepted taxonomic species, subspecies, forms, or varieties and registered species cultivars.  Non bolded entries are generally recognized genetic forms and/or mutations either in cultivation or seen in the wild.  These plants are generally followed by a descriptor in quotation marks.  There are many plants with lots of descriptors out there.

2) This list is not comprehensive.  There maybe other forms that I am not aware of.  I suggest that this document be forwarded to other serious Sarracenia growers for additions.  Might I suggest Mike King, Phil Wilson, Jay Lechtman for starters.

3) AF  following a plant name will mean anthocyanin free form which means that the plant is devoid of all red pigment and is completely green.  Sometimes referred to as albino.

4) I’ve added registered species cultivars that have come time mind.  I’ll dig through CPN’s and see if there are any others that have been registered and add them.

Sarracenia alata (LA, MS, AL, TX)
Sarracenia alata AF (AL)
Sarracenia alata ‘red throat’ (MS, LA)
Sarracenia alata ‘veined’ (AL, MS, LA, TX)
Sarracenia alata ‘nigrapurpurea/all red’ (MS, AL)

Sarracenia flava var flava (NC, SC, FL)
Sarracenia flava var ornata (NC, SC, GA)
Sarracenia flava var rubricorpora (FL)
Sarracenia flava var atropurpurea (NC, SC, FL-likely introduced)
Sarracenia flava var cuprea (NC, SC, FL- likely introduced)
Sarracenia flava var maxima (NC, SC, GA, FL-likely introduced)
Sarracenia flava var rugelii (GA, FL)
Sarracenia flava AF (GA)

Sarracenia leucophylla (MS, AL, FL, GA)
Sarracenia leucophylla AF (AL)
Sarracenia leucophylla Yellow Flowered (AL, FL)
Sarracenia luecophylla cv ‘tarnok’
Sarracenia leucophylla cv ‘Schnell’s Ghost’
Sarracenia leucohpylla cv. ‘cronus’

Sarracenia oreophila (NC, GA, AL, TN-questionable, but extinct)

Sarracenia minor var minor (NC, SC, GA, FL,)
Sarracenia minor var minor AF (GA)
Sarracenia minor var okeefenensis (GA)

Sarracenia psittacina (SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA)
Sarracenia psittacina Yellow flowered (FL)
Sarracenia psittacina cv. ‘green rosette’  AF (AL, FL)

Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea (HUGE distribution)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea f. heterophylla AF (ON, NS, NF, NY, MI, CT)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea ‘veinless’ (ON)

Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa var venosa (VA, NC, SC, GA)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp venos var venosa ‘all red’
Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa var montana (NC, SC, GA)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa var burkii        (S. rosea)  (FL, AL, MS, LA)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa var burkii f. luteola AF  (FL, AL)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa var burkii ‘veinless’ (FL)

Sarracenia rubra ssp rubra (NC, SC, GA, GA)
Sarracenia rubra ssp rubra ‘ancestral’ / or sometimes called ‘western Georgia’ (GA)
Sarracenia rubra ssp rubra ‘ancestral’ AF (GA)
Sarracenia rubra ssp gulfensis (FL)
Sarracenia rubra ssp gulfensis AF (FL)
Sarracenia rubra ssp jonesii (S. jonesii) (NC, SC)
Sarracenia rubra ssp jonesii AF (NC)
Sarracenia rubra ssp alabamensis (S. alabamensis ssp alabamensis) (AL)
Sarracenia rubra ssp wherryii (S. alabamensis ssp wherryii) (AL, FL, MS)
Sarracenia rubra ssp wherryii ‘yellow flower’ (AL)
Sarracenia rubra ssp wherryii ‘chatom giant’ (AL)

Casper/Mike,
Thanks, I brought your lists into my excel sheet....This is going to take some sorting! I'll re-post my new spreadsheet when it's ready. Might be a few days!
wow.gif

Schloaty,

When you complete that, could you e-mail it to me? Looks like the coding system can be updated just a tad!

SF

Hmmmm! I didn't see gulfensis "red form" or wherryi "red form", alabamensis "yellow lid" or alabamensis "red tube form".

I didn't see rubra ssp gulfensis giant either
rock.gif

i have a good book on cps that should have a good list i think it has the list of nepenthes too

Fine, Spec. Go ahead and add that list for any interested. Those making the list, heads up as there just might be something you need in it.

Ok, my old link is down. Here is the new one. Let me know what you guys think. I tried to condence the info that I have (not Mike King's....yet). Let me know what you guys think of the format. I tried to make it make it small, so the first column is the species, and the second column represends all the varients/subspecies I've found so far. If anyone sees any mistakes, or thinks I missed one, let me know! Also, the last entry that's highlighted....never heard of it.... can anyone shed some light?
New & improved sheet

It's not working for me, for some reason.
rock.gif

SF

That's right. In the sixties, some plants were sold in nurseries as s. sledgei, and they were alatas. Leucophyllas were under s. drummondi. A lot has changed, and a lot has been learned since then.

Hi everyone! Here is a sample of something recent that is happening in the Conservancy. A gentleman by the name of Andy Lanier has contracted with us to map some bogs around Pensacola, Florida. He is joining up with our man in the field, Brooks Garcia, and they are going to GPS sites and try to measure them for size. The bogs will be monitored and kept track of noting its health, and spread. (I'd love to have Brooks' job in this Conservancy!) Also, a gentleman from Texas has contacted us from his seeing this on the Forum. He is in charge of a Nature Preserve in Texas, and has contacted me to help to augment his bog populations. He is all ready to send plants and /or seeds for the project. We can help and prove that our system works through the kindness and generosity of this man, who is in some authority in the State of Texas. We may, through him, get other county species, and do the same for their bogs too. We have to get the non-profit first, before we start anything, but we have work already. The best part, a labor of love, is never work!! So at least you know that something is going on out here, and I will try to make sure that anything that comes across the wire, gets to you all. This is exciting, and I am ready to grow my heart out for our bogs!!!!!! Good growing to all of you!!!!!

I've just made a couple of tiny corrections to your list Casper e.g. curprea = cuprea.

A couple of points - surely S. minor var. minor is just S. minor and S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. venosa is just ssp. venosa?

Hi Alexis,
"A couple of points - surely S. minor var. minor is just S. minor and S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. venosa is just ssp. venosa"

If you have Don's second book, you will see the varieties mentioned there to distinguish the varieties from the standard variety (eg var. venosa being the Atlantic coastal plain plant)

Back