Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few more details/update on progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is somewhat unexpected, but exciting too. I called Casper yesterday for information, and got a big suprise. Our NASC President was out in the field with Master Bogger, Jay Lechtman. Jay was teaching Casper about the finer points of bogging. While they were out, they ran across a very unexpected treasure. Don Schnell, in his 2nd edition, stated that s. alata crossed the border of Mississippi and had a historical range into eastern Louisiana. Also stated was the fact that this species had not been seen in the field in Louisiana for many years. Well guess who found an alata stand in Louisiana. That's right!! Our man Casper. They found a stand in the St. Tammany Parrish, and they haven't been recorded there for a long, long time. Plant positions have been GPS'ed and marked on a map. Plant material (seed) just may be in our future as growers from this incredibly rare field find. These plants will need heavy duty protection in any way we can give it. I suggested contacting the F&WS and letting them know that they have been found again.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great news!!! Wow... I expect more of this to happen as the mapping projects continue. Hopefully whoever is doing them won't get too bogged down with all that work. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]These plants will need heavy duty protection in any way we can give it.
    Okay, we need a few volunteers who have experience with fireams to stand out in the field and gaurd our precious plants. Anyone?

j/k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ April 05 2004,11:49)]Its just hard to communicate amongst ourselves with just this venue and email.
    hey pak,
    have you thought about an "egroup" or a "yahoo group"? this might help solve some of the communication issues.

tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small update before I make a post about my bogging trip and try to find a place to host my pics.

We found not 1, not 2, but 3 stands in St. Tammany Parish and 2 are on Nat. reserves so they are safe!!! The 3rd is on private property. I had a nice conversation with the land owner and he has given permission to do a little bit of field collecting. So, as of right now, I have a gps'd, site specific St. Tam. Alata to donate to the collection. I also have another for the auction. Towards sept. I will go back for some more pictures and maybe a few seeds.

Now I am off to dump a few 100 pictures from my digi cam, so more info will follow.

Casper

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great news Casper! Look forward to seeing your pics!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this isn't much to report but we may not be able to use auction software for the auction. So far, Patrick hasn't found any that worked properly. SO...we may be holding it on the forums after all. I need to talk to Phillip about this. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12