What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promised Barry I would write this down, so here it is! I visited the UC Davis greenhouses on the 18th of July, the day after my birthday. Initially I just wanted to view the Wild Rice in his natural habitat. I walked through the greenhouse door to see the back of a gentleman playing with flower pots. He turned to see who was at the door, and I asked if he were Barry. When he responded to the affirmative, we shook hands and got down to the business of getting to know each other. I saw him busily pulling hitchhikers from his flower pots of psittacina. Nasty little plants referred to as Irish Moss. I suspect it was neither Irish, nor moss, and started in helping pull out these unwanted, uninvited "guests". I showed Barry a few things I had found on my computer from the hunting around I did looking for unauthorized disclosures of ESA listed plants by location. I had searched for months already, and was pleased that every site I visited mentioned nothing of the protected sites' locations. Then, on a whim, I checked out one other Federal Agency, and couldn't believe my eyes. There in front of me on this particular site, were maps showing county, and area containing our beloved alabams, jonesii's, and oreo's. I knew I had to alert Barry about this, but I wanted to give it to him myself. The information is with the Man even as I pound on this keyboard. I think Barry will handle this sensitive information in the proper manner. I got the grand tour of the facilities, and loved every minute of it. I saw flowers that were incredibly unique, but can't remember my own name, much less the flower that captured all of my attention. Then it was CP time. I was, of course, in hog heaven wallowing in sarracenia, nepenthes, drosera, dionaea, heliamphora, genlisea, and utric's and ping's. Then, the nerve of the Wild Rice!! He started giving me plants!! I was not really ready for that. I was admiring his gulfensis' and some leuco's and alabamensis babies, when he started handing me all kinds of things. I came home with alabamensis from all locations, gulfensis from Okaloosa County (is that right, Barry?)-- maybe Crestview plants??--some psitts from 2 different locales, and they even looked different in growing habit and color. Then, from out of no where comes a pot of s. purpurea ssp. purpurea forma heterophylla seedlings, a Chatom Giant wherryi, some d. anglica, and another sundew he thinks is capillaris, but looks to me like brevifolia. We will have to wait for a flower though as the stalk of the brevifolia is covered with sticky glands, and capillaris is not. We will see. It would be more likely to be brevifolia than capillaris, as the brevifolia range does run through there, but nature will fool you from time to time, and put a plant in a place where no plant was known before. So, I will wait for a flower, and make my ID. Barry knows his stuff though, and is probably right. I saw for the first time, Hummer's Hurricane Creek White. ICPS members will know of the leucophylla of which I speak. I was floored! For a plant that is only green and white, it was absoluely stunning. An awful lot of white in the upper pitcher, and very vigorous. Heck, I have 2 brand new leaves on this baby, and it has only been here for a week and a half. And more coming from the growing point. A constant grower from the looks of things so far. Got a couple of Hummer hybrids for friend Brooks, but the cream of the crop for me was the leucophylla. I couldn't believe what was being given to me, and I apreciated it very much. Never thought I would have a Hurricane Creek White leuco so soon. I usually have waited for years for this kind of stuff. I also explained to Barry the way I build a bog garden that is mobile, and has constantly running water to water itself with. Barry thought the idea interesting and asked me to write an article for the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, complete with building instructions so everyone could take advantage of this method of growing plants. Butterworts and sarracenia, absolutely love it! So I will. At the same time, the rest of you who are ICPS members, feel free to write for and to the CPN and submit articles for all of us to read about your growing experiences. The CPN relies on all its members to tell the rest of us your growing experiences, and problems you dealt with and conquered. We all could use more articles from the general CP folks (like me) so that all may share and learn by our experiences. That is how we all learn together, by sharing our experiences. So get on the stick!! Write in your CP lessons and errors, and help us all learn more about the babies we love! And, observing the Wild Rice in his natural habitat was an experience I won't soon forget, and hope to repeat in my future. Good job, Barry! You are doing a great work there!!!!!

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful day even without all the gifts! Dang it Bug...you've GOT to learn how to use that digital camera! Now all we can do is imagine the sights... Sounds like Barry is a top-notch guy as well as a fantastic CPer. I'm so glad you got to go meet at the Rice paddy and that you got some very special plants. Couldn't go to a nicer, more competent guy.
smile.gif

That article sounds interesting...hop to it and get it done! Hopefully by then I'll be an ICPS member...
smile.gif

Thanks for the report...sounds like a truly special day of plants and friends.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Barry in person. He deserves thanks from the entire CP comunity for the great work he has done along with the other hard working people that make the ICPS possible.

His generousity is only exceeded by his sense of humor.
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks agian.

Glenn

Yes, I've always enjoyed Barry's writing...good wit.
smile.gif

How 'come some people get all the luck, while others have none?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ Aug. 01 2004,5:45)]How 'come some people get all the luck, while others have none?
And what is that supposed to mean??

Back