What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rallying the troops!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi Folks

Since we now have some money in the coffers and Casper is working on the non-profit status, I think we need to some things "officialized" so we can...well...be official.
biggrin.gif

These are just my thoughts but here's what I think we need to get going on:

1) Either accept (vote on?) our Mission Statement as "official" or make any modifications needed to get it official. This is so we can use it for promotion. We need this to show "purpose."

2) Get more submissions to the logo contest so we can get that decided. I'm temporarily using mine just because I have it available but it can easily be changed to another. I can produce various printed materials that we might need but can't do that without an "official" logo.

3) Get an address to use as "headquarters"...also for marketing materials. We also need an email address to use and get the web site set up with information so we can use that as well.

4) Get the board members decided on or voted in. So that also is "official."

5) Decide if we will have memberships to NASC which will require a fee (which would bring in more money) although I think the fee shouldn't be too high so anyone can join. Sometimes people value something more if they pay a little money. You have to pay to be a member of the ICPS so they have operating money.

Can anybody else think of issues we need to finalize in order to get going as a non-profit organization?

I don't want to see NASC languish into oblivion just because the initial fever of excitement is over or the auction is done.

This is a long term project which may not always be "exciting" but it can't fade out of people's memories. People who are committed to NASC's goals need to be checking this forum and participating in topics that are raised even if its rather sporadic. Gotta keep peeking in to know if there are issues at hand.

Soooooooo...what do y'all think??

PAK,
Your suggestions to get this moving sound good to me. I'm willing to pay a membership fee. How do we 'vote' on memberrs, mission statement etc. Polls?
JBL

Good question JBL.
smile.gif
I guess the first step would be to get some discussion going on it all...and then see if polls are needed. We need input from those who want to be a part of this since this is "by the people, for the people." Its a group thing and everyone's ideas, opinions and PARTICIPATION are needed.

Hey PAK,
I think a nominal membership fee is a good idea. A small fee won't hurt the member, but many fees together can result in cash flow. Now I'm going to insist that you make it to the NECPS show this year. Last year we had hundreds of people walk through the displays. This year, hopefully there will be more. Major opportunity here.

Uh oh...I'd better get printing NOW, huh? Awwwww...I'd love to go the NECPS show. I'd love to go to ANY show. I wanna go to a bog.
smile_h_32.gif

Is there a list of members? Maybe a collection of e-mails so that members can vote on issues or will voting on issues be done by board members. Will this be a Democracy or a Republic?

nah it will be a dictatorship
smile_n_32.gif
who is all on the list of members if there is one? i wasnt aware i was on it but i got a pm stating i should take some of the recent rescue Sarrs and i did. i also think a small annual fee is an excellent idea.most ppl could prolly deal with the $10-20 range. some of us could prolly go higher but alot of the youngsters and some others may have problems.

Rattler

I'm kinda disappointed with the lack of response to this tread.....

1) I see no need for changes in the Mission Statement.

2) My vote goes to PAKs logo. After seeing the brochure, this logo really works.

3) What state? Who will collect the mail and forward to the proper recipient?
Was the address used for setting up the nonprofit temporary? Will the Email correspond with the web site (ie. somebody @ nasc.com)? Will all the board members have an Email or will Email be sent to one address and forwarded as needed?

4) where's the ballot? We can't vote till we know who and what we are voting for.

5) $15- $20 sound fair to me. Gotta keep the moneys flowing.

Chris

well if we really want things to get rolling lets just use PAK's logo for now and we can keep the contest rolling ang decide on a new one later if we want to. i would volenteer my self as an address headquarters but im a lil off the beaten path compared to some of the others and there are a few times of the year, most notably mid June through the end of August and again from october through the first week in December, where i can get REALLY busy and may not have time for it. as far as anything else just present it to us in poll form and we can vote unless you have a better idea. i really thought there would be more replies to this too. i really wish i could volenteer my services for printing up a bunch of these brochures but its not possible at the moment however if some one else wants to help out ill donate $15 twords printing costs at Kinkos or somewhere similar. im not sure what there charge is but full color aint cheap.

Rattler

I wouldn't mind paying an annual membership fee. I think it sounds like a great idea.

Thanks you guys....I think I'm going to go rattle some cages.
biggrin.gif

Well, right now we need committee members to make actual rules about how we will go about our business. Being the NASC is great, but right now we don't really know "how" to be the NASC. I have brought this up many times, but it seems to die out a little, as its the more "technical" side of it.

We need a real plan. How are we going to collect, and to what extent?

Who exactly is going to hold the "initial" collection?

How do we want to advertise?

What are the methods of collection, and transportation?

How about methods of propogation, and seperation of species?

This is just a sample of some of the stuff that we need ironed out. While a public discussion is great, we need a few people (chairpersons or something of the sort) to gather all the info.

I am sorry, I am a business man, there are much more qualified people than me to answer most of the above.

To answer a previous question in the thread: Right now the address on the application is my home address. In the future it can be changed to a P.O. box as seen fit.

As far as collecting is concerned, I think we should accept the ICPS' collection policy. I will try to get Carl Mazur to write those guidelines for us.

Casper...can I get that addy for the brochure? It can be changed at any time later on. Nothing is engraved in stone. And what should we do for an email addy? Would be nice to that on the brochure too. Since we have money now, would you like to get a Treasurer in place to handle funds so you don't have to do that too?

How about the web site...I believe Barry set one up for us. Do we need to appoint someone (one of our computer/web page savvy members) to be the web master and handle the content? Or even a couple of people so no one person has to do it all.

Bug...Brooks...anyone who has done collections and rescues...do you think it would be helpful to have a form to use to record permission for such activities? I can create one.

Advertising....I am working on that brochure. I thought that could be used any time someone is going to a CP meeting or having a booth at a plant sale or show to hand out to spread the word. Could also be mailed with any letters that need to be sent also as an explanation as to what NASC is and its purpose. How much would an ad cost to run in the ICPS for advertising?

I still think we need a pinned topic on how to pollinate and protect the flowers so everyone has a good handle on that for the future.

PAK, the addy is the same as the one used for the auction.

Paul Luebbert
2129 Empire Pl.
Gretna La, 70056

It was actually Carl Mazur that was working on the web site for us. He enjoys doing that kind of work so he vol. to do it.

As far as a brochure, that would be great!

Something that bug and I where speaking about is making a posting of sort for people to bring with them while bogging. Something real simple that we could put in plastic covering to post on private property. Stating that if any development where to take place , please contact XXX so that we could save the plants. Sadly enough, developers could care less about the plants they are about to bulldoze, but if they see a sign of sort, they propably would drop a dime to look like the "good guy".

We have more than enough people here in the south to perform on short notice, and this is a very simple way to get awareness out.

Back