Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radical suggestion....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... should the mission of the NASC be extended to rescue and preserve the other CPs found at the sites of our endangered Sarracenia? It would be a shame to go rescue the Sarras at a site to be developed, and let the drosera or vfts, or whatever other cps that are there get bulldozed. I realize the focus of the efforts is Sarracenia, and it should be, but as long as we're looking after them, we should also take care of the other CPs present. What do you think?

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think that the NASC should rescue all cp's found at the sites they go to.

it's like this: the NASC goes to a site to rescue some sarrs. at this same site, there are other cp's growing, and no one there to rescue them. the NASC could (and should) distribute those plants, in addition to the sarrs they have collected, to the members and the stewards of the nasc. it these stewards are going to propagate, then distribute the seed to other growers and cp societies, what's the harm in rescuing all cp's at a given site, as opposed to only the ones listed in their name?

thoughts?

tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would say any and all CPs....if there is a knowlegeable person in the rescue and they notice another not so common non-CP it may be a good idea to grab it up too. what "we" are trying to save and preserve is actually a part of an ecosystem. other cp's and uncommon bog plants and such should be included if there are knowlegeable ppl to take them in. just my 2 cents.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no reason why a rescue couldn't include any other CPs found there. I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to take them into stewardship. Would be a shame to see ANY CP destroyed. Of course its heartbreaking to see ANY native plant destroyed but I guess one group can't save 'em all.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could invite a local Native Plant Rescue Group to collect non-cp plants such as orchids. Cp's are not the only niche plants at risk and it would be nice to help preserve all specialized bog plants from thier eventualy extinction.

Plus, networking with local groups will help in alerting the USNSC to sites at risk.

Just a thought.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, wrong accranym (sp?). [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol It does help to get the name right. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Aug. 05 2004,11:38)]We could invite a local Native Plant Rescue Group to collect non-cp plants such as orchids. Cp's are not the only niche plants at risk and it would be nice to help preserve all specialized bog plants from thier eventualy extinction.
    Execellent point Glenn. Mike Howlett, and I have discussed at great lengths the importance of preserving the native environment in the process of saving our beloved plants. I.E. while we would all love to find a well hidden spot and fill it with Sarrs we must take into account the effect this would have on surrounding native plants. If a particular population should exceed what would naturaly occur in nature that whole ecosystem would be impacted negatively.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast