What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Officers

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Paul (Casper) has been working hard as our President Pro Tem until we do the real voting...in addition to working very hard in his job. BIG thanks to Casper who took on a tough job in unfamiliar territory!

We still need to officially vote on officers. So, here we are again asking for people to belly up to the bar and offer their nominations or suggestions for officers.

President - I think Casper is the only nomination for President.

Do we need a Vice-President?

Secretary - Uh...I was nominated. That better not be because I'm female! And I DON'T make coffee!

Treasurer - Do we need one now that we have money?

Don't we need more than that? What am I missing? Aren't there more officers to an organization than that?

Well, from what I invisioned was the committee chairpeople would be the "officers" so to speak with a few additions. The chairperson of the cost committee would/should probably handle the treasury position. As of right now, its not nearly as important as filling positions of policy and rule making people. We have about $1,100 bucks right now, and about half of that will go to foundation. I am almost done with a preliminary budget as well.

Well if you're getting the promotional material together we're gonna need a PR committee. It will be easier in the areas that have such organizations as the BACPS, and NECPS. The rest of us will have to stand on streetcorners with signs- *REPLANT FOR THE KINGDOM, AND PHYLUM IS AT HAND*
smile_n_32.gif

Zak, that hurt!
smile_n_32.gif

Pak, you would be a good secretary because you write well, coffee might be a fringe benefit....

I don't think a Secretary writes much. But I'll do it. I think I'd be more useful at PR/advertising or something along those lines since that's my field.

Actually...I don't know where I fit in.
smile.gif

I beleive that PR/advertising is where most of us could do the most good. But I'm not volunteering to lead this. I saw from another thread that superimposedhope offered that.

I would like promotional brochures for when I do local school in-services. I generally do 3-4/year from 5th grade through middle school. I also think doing 'road shows' and taking select plants to local native plant groups would be helpful. When doing this, perhaps it would be a good idea to take a good selection of common plants to sell for fund raising.

These are just ideas at this time. I would like someone with more experience to offer comments.

Typical non-profit organizations have 7 officers and directors.  The officers are the ones that are liable for the various financial obligations and federal reporting required, like tax returns, etc.  I believe you are jumping ahead of the game a bit.  

There are intrim positions that can be assigned, but the officers and directors are elected by the members.  Officers include President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.  Then there can be a slew of Directors, but usually only 3 are needed, especially when the organization is focused like this one will be.  

There are many on this list that are members of the ICPS as well as Terraforums.  A starting point may be to look at the paperwork for the ICPS and mimic there organization.

Once the "i's" are crossed and "t's" are dotted, the IRS has given approval, the organization can as a whole move the intrim officers into formal role that will fill the top four slots for a period of time.  

Who is working on getting the paperwork started?  and, then the follow-through.

Barry is a great resource and makes a hell of a budget.

Rick

Yes, I am currently working on all of our paperwork for the federal gov. I have a rough draft done, and I found a local lawyer who is going to review it for me before I send it in.

The budget is actually quite easy for me. This is the realm of what I do for a living, although the n-p is kind of new my CPA has had a few ideas as well. Plus, there is a plethora of info on the net so I am gaining knowledge every day.

I have also spoken to Barry quite extensively about the filings. We are lucky, the ICPS had to file years after they where in business so it was MUCH harder for them.

As far as the officers, I still vision the committee chair people of holding an "officer" type position. The head of the cost committee would/should probably be the treasurer as well, at least for the first few years until a stand alone is actually warranted.

Well I guess we nee to revive this thread in order to see what s already been discussed. I'm just not seeing many visitors.

Well, Pyro is nominated for our President, and he will try to do the job if no one else will try. He has informed me he will have times when he is too busy to respond to all, and would like some help with that. I still sit on the Growers Board for the West Coast, and I have nominated Dean Cook, and Jeff Kunkle for the Pacific Northwest. Brooks Garcia is our main guy for Georgia, Florida, and Alabama, and Mississippi, Jay Lechtman says he will sign on For Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, and will even take PAK out bogging. Mike Howlett is covering Texas, and western Louisiana. I nominate Schloaty for Northeastern USA, and Kirk Martin. I nominate Ozzy to be Conservation Chairman. And I nominate PAK to be Newsletter and Advertising Chairwoman. no doubt I have left something out. Help fill in the blanks, ands let's get rolling.

I volunteered for regional something or other to do with Conservation or perhaps it was Research, I don't quite recall as the chat room moved rather swiftly. Best to ask Copper what I volunteered for however it wasn't an Officer position nor was it a Director position. I wouldn't feel comfortable with one of those slots.

Just one thing, I nominate Copper for vice President of our Conservancy. Do I hear a second?? I think she has performed beautifully bringing this together. Those skills are needed "up top".

I'll second the nomination but it might be too much for her as I thought she was the Committee Chair.

And dear sweet bugweed... where were you last night?

Wife declared the plug in off limits. The Boss spoke, I listened. Don't need the headaches. I will stay in touch via PM's. She has no problem with that.

Fantastic!! Copper has been seconded as vice-president, and I think it the best choice. When do we get together again? Much to discuss. I will need to know how solid the nominations are so far. If any other Official duties crop up, the call will go out for nominees. Anyone else, sign in and let us know you are on board. Progressing one small step at a time, but we are progressing.

Our next meeting is set for this Friday at 8 PM. I will have it up by 7PM. I will send out several updates on what is to be discussed at this one. The unofficial went well, but pointed out the need for a chair. I think Travis will be in touch sometime this week and I will set him up on chair duties.

Thank you, Copper. Keep us moving! Next chat on Friday! If interested, ask how to get involved. Lots to do, so on we go.

Kirk, Pm copper, she'll put you on the mailing list.

Back