What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nasc update

Hello from the very quiet NASC Forum. Since some folks have been wondering what is happening with us, the following is all I have until the present. Casper went to help in Florida during the hurricane destruction. I heard from him once during that time. Since that time, I have tried over and over to reach him, with no success. No one has been able to get ahold of him, and we may have to work around that. If there is anyone willing to help out, please respond on the forum, and just outline any ideas, or help you can extend. Carl Mazur is going to put up our website soon, and I think it will be a place where we can all meet, and share ideas, and make policy regarding the NASC. I guess we work around Casper, and discuss an interim President, until we "get the picture" on Casper, and what the problem might be. We need all the help we can get. The auction funds are in limbo too, and we are stuck until Casper speaks. We need help, and good ideas.

I am bumping up the business plan created by Casper and others. It is a good place to start.

This is what we have to date for a business plan.

Special thanks to Noah, Steve, Carl and the many I forgot whom helped.

If anyone has any comments please feel free.

North American Sarracenia Conservancy

Mission:

The mission of the National Sarracenia Collection is to serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation.

Primary goals:

1. To preserve genetic diversity by maintaining a living collection of the genus Sarracenia species and variants.

2. To safeguard genetic lineages of plants for possible future reintroduction into the wild, after plans for such reintroductions and subsequent monitoring are approved by a board of experts from a variety of NGOs, Federal/State Agencies, etc., as appropriate.

3. To further safeguard the maintained genetic diversity by facilitating widespread cultivation, by Sarracenia enthusiasts of all the maintained variants, thereby to better ensure variant survival.

4. To abate poaching by making rare and endangered varieties readily available.

5. To maintain up-to-date, accurate and relevant data to meet or exceed normal scientific standards for the maintenance of plant material.

Secondary goals:

6. To research Sarracenia variability and traits so as to understand the range of variability requiring conservation.

7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in conservation of the genus and its habitats.

8. To record accurate, up-to-date data on current Sarracenia habitat conditions

9. To make all variants readily available to enthusiasts.

Method:

1. The Collection will be comprised of recognized, approved individual Sarracenia collections grown by individuals or organizations throughout the world.

2. Member sites will serve as aggressive propagation centers in order to supply specimen re-introduction into the wild.

3. A database of existing collections will serve as a decentralized "seed bank", with members actively offering seed to other members as it is produced.

4. The database is to be overseen by a committee which actively pursues variant survival in cultivation.

5. A committee will actively pursue variant acquisition from existing collections in cultivation and from the wild when necessary.

Where do we stand on the board formation? I know it's hard to do right now, but we need a starting point. Copper has a start but, what are some of the immediate goals? Where are we on the NPO status?

First we are getting a group together. That's where the goals, immediate and long range, will be decided. What goals would you like to see?

I thought William drew up a general plan a good while back and sent it to Buggie. Not sure though. I'll check on that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Nov. 15 2004,6:56)]7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in conservation of the genus and its habitats.
Hmmm?
indolent:
1. having or showing a disposition to avoid exertion; slothful.
2. Pathol. causing little or no pain; inactive or relatively benign.
—Syn. 1. slow, inactive, sluggish, torpid. See idle.

Hmmm,

that's a problem

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Member sites will serve as aggressive propagation centers in order to supply specimen re-introduction into the wild.

Does that mean somethin like our own houses and such? Sorry, I am from Boone, we don't use big words... LOL If so, I am aquiring somewhat of an area where I could do stratification and sprouting of Sarr seed almost year-round. It would probably be able to hold two or three flats of about 72 peat thing-a-mabobs(maybe more I'd have to look), and I might be able to borrow part of my dad's fridge that could hold another tray af about 50-72(I hope I'm not volunteering something I can't have, I'll let ya know). I was approached by bugweed a while back about doing this for him. I liked the idea, but was somewhat skeptical, but I am pretty sure I know what I'm doing now, cause I have failed at it once, and know where my mistakes were. I hope I did not type all that in vain....
confused.gif

Later,
~Wes~

Don't worry, Copper. There will be more of them. We will just deal with them, one problem at a time. Zak, no NP status for us yet.
Casper has disappeared, and we don't know what happened to him.
That needs to be addressed too. Find out what happened to Casper.

So all we know is that he's in Florida, and I am assuming he doesn't have internet access otherwise he would have said something. That's really freaky. I hope he's alright.

Wesley, The last time I heard from Casper was that little blurb he wrote telling us of the conditions. I have not heard from him since. I have called his direct line without success, as well as his cell phone. No answers to any e-mails either.

Back