What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming out of the closet...

I posted photos of my little acid bog which is about 100 gallons give or take. I have 3 CPs in it currently and it is fenced off and netted to protect it from critters from both land and air. I must admit I have grown to despise English House Sparrrows and stray/feral cats. Actually, gray squirrels weren't exactly high on my list recently either.  

I will post photos of the area recently cleared that will be for my new bog.  I am actually meeting with the excavator tomorrow afternoon to discuss location as well as other details as I have cleared the Army Corp and Watershed Management and Building and Zoning and the Village (think they put me through enough hoops?) to be able to begin excavation for an approximately 2500 gallon acid bog to be dug to a depth of 18".

I would be more than happy to allocate space in this bog for any Sarracenias deemed appropriate. I do not need an incentive of a plant in exchange as suggested in other threads but would like to see every plant you folk place in my new bog returned to a native plant community at some point in time.  It had been my intent to create habitat for endangered plants indigeous to Illinois however I see no reason I can't add CPs that are threatened or endangered in other regions.  

Does anyone have any issues with my depth?  Speak now or forever hold your peace as the excavator will be coming over as soon as the rains stop and it dries up around here to start the work and I'm thinking that should be sometime the end of next week.  Seriously, if anyone believes 18" is not adequate, I really need to know now.  

I'll still have my little bog for my personal plants.

I can't help you on the depth of your bog as all of mine are container grown. But what you are doing sure sounds nice. Thanks for the offer of grow space. Hopefully as seed comes in and get distributed we will have use for it.
smile.gif

If it's not to late I would suggest that you create a decline from 18" to at least 30". The peat level on top could be level but you'd have a setup where the cps that like soggy conditions can have their spot, and the ones who like it drier will have theirs. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, all I had approval for is 18" due to proximity of an actual naturally occurring wetlands. I will manage to slip a few extra inches in accidentally! But I'm not telling how many!

Mine is 18" to approx. 25" and it is doing well

Copper, what are you using as a liner for your bog?

Back